Baby quilt theme decided..minor happy dance :-)

Old July 19th 03, 09:59 AM
Pati Cook

Rainbow stripes sounds perfect to me.

Pati, in Phx

CNYstitcher wrote:

I am entering a baby quilt in the State Fair. After the judging, it
will be donated to charity, and I am determined that this is a contest I
will enter for as long as I am able. Well, I was hung up on what to do,
and bounced some ideas off Karen, QofS. What we came up with was a
scrappy friendship star quilt using novelty/kiddie prints in teh center
block of the stars. I pulled out all the novelty/kiddie prints while
guests were here, and Chrissy and I went through them. Sicne she wasn't
familiar with the block, I pulled up an image in the computer. She
liked the idea of the print fabric in teh center with coordinating
fabrics as the points, and identical backgrounds for each blocks. The
blocks will be separated by a narrow sashing and there will be a double
border (one thin, one slightly thicker).

Well, after looking at all the fabrics, the name of the quilt came to
me: "Fins, fur, and friends". I will post pictures as soon as it is
finished, I will post pictures. The stars will end up being all
different colors - there are pink ones, red ones, orange ones, yellow,
green, light blue, and a dark blue.....it will be a rainbow of stars!

Problem is...what to use for a backing fabric?? I saw a rainbow stripe
that I thought about using...do you all think that would work???

Larisa

Old July 19th 03, 04:28 PM
dogmom

I always choose my backing fabric after the top is well underway. For one
thing, if the top winds up with a lot of light colors, I'll realize I need
something light so it won't show through. Then too, tops sometimes grow and
heaven forbid I buy too little backing cloth! Also, sometimes I want
something that complements the top theme-wise; sometimes I want something
totally different, and I don't know that until I"ve been sewing the top for
a while. And then there's the consideration of who's got what on sale...

Sounds like a great design! Lookin' forward to seeing the pix!

Dogmom

Old July 20th 03, 08:53 PM
Pat in Virginia

Larisa:
Sure you don't have a bird print or two? Then it could be Fins,
Fur, Feathers, and Friends!
The rainbow stripe will be good. Another option would be a multi
colored novelty animal print. There are quite a few out there.
I like this contest which benefits kidlets!
PAT

Old July 20th 03, 09:51 PM
CNYstitcher

There might be a few birds in there, can't remember right now. I like
these contests as well, which is why I will continue to enter it for as
long as I am able. Sad thing is that they allow pieced quilts and
panels to be judged together sigh. Oh well.

Larisa