I know next to squat about platinum

Old May 7th 04, 08:44 AM
Carl West

Default I know next to squat about platinum

I know enough about platinum to know that
I don't know enough about platinum.

I'm facing an 18k yellow gold and platinum chain (a bracelet) where a few
of the gold links have let go, and I'm trying to asses the risks involved.

I can do the actual gold repair, that's not a problem. And I know I
don't have to worry about melting the platinum by accident, but what
about pickling it? Any weirdness to having the two metals in the same bath?

There's a concern with keeping carbon? hydrogen? away from hot platinum.
How hot? (how carefully must I avoid heating the platinum?)
Assuming I screw-up and get the P hot, am I in for a finishing hassle?

--

If you try to 'reply' to me without fixing the dot, your reply
will go into a 'special' mailbox reserved for spam. See below.

--
Carl West http://carl.west.home.comcast.net

change the 'DOT' to '.' to email me

"Clutter"? This is an object-rich environment.
Old May 8th 04, 02:07 AM
Abrasha

Carl West wrote:

I know enough about platinum to know that
I don't know enough about platinum.

I'm facing an 18k yellow gold and platinum chain (a bracelet) where a few
of the gold links have let go, and I'm trying to asses the risks involved.

I can do the actual gold repair, that's not a problem. And I know I
don't have to worry about melting the platinum by accident, but what
about pickling it?

Platinum does not need to be pickeld, because it does not oxidize in the flame.
It really is the most precious of the precious metals. Also, because of that
when soldering platinum one does not need to use flux. I only use it
occasionally, just so the solder sticks to the work and does not get blown away
by the force of the torch which blasts at it with so much oxygen in the mix.

Any weirdness to having the two metals in the same bath?

No.

There's a concern with keeping carbon? hydrogen? away from hot platinum.
How hot? (how carefully must I avoid heating the platinum?)

The platinum will not be affected at all, even if you melt the gold. Now, the
other way around, that's a different story.

Assuming I screw-up and get the P hot, am I in for a finishing hassle?

No. Platinum will not lose it's polish, even when soldered to other platinum
parts.

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com
Old May 8th 04, 03:42 AM
Carl West

Abrasha wrote:

Carl West wrote:
Any weirdness to having the two metals in the same bath?

No.

The platinum will not be affected at all, even if you melt the gold. Now, the
other way around, that's a different story.

My thanks to Abrasha and Peter. My mind is at ease.

... Platinum will not lose it's polish, even when soldered to other platinum
parts.

Cool stuff. Maybe someday I can afford to work in it.

Old May 29th 04, 02:58 AM
DT

"Carl West" wrote in message
Abrasha wrote:

Carl West wrote:
Any weirdness to having the two metals in the same bath?

No.

The platinum will not be affected at all, even if you melt the gold.

Now, the
other way around, that's a different story.

My thanks to Abrasha and Peter. My mind is at ease.

... Platinum will not lose it's polish, even when soldered to other

platinum
parts.

Cool stuff. Maybe someday I can afford to work in it.

Once you start to work with platinum, it will spoil you.
For one thing, it dead sets. (No spring back, it stays put.)
A lot more malleable than white gold.
Engraves like butter.
It stays pretty soft without as much work harding as white gold.
I did run across a platinum filigree ring that was crystalline once and
wasn't able to save it but on a whole, a great metal.

A draw back is the high heat needed to repair it, I use a #6 welding lens on
my visor. (It gets white hot and will keep you on your toes.)

Don Talbert
http://estate-sales-online.com/

about platinum extreme Jewelry 20 April 2nd 04 04:53 AM
Markings on a platinum ring? Kari Jewelry 0 March 13th 04 06:37 PM
Platinum Crucibles Steve Cooper Jewelry 1 February 20th 04 02:36 AM
Platinum over Sterling Silver bizenya Jewelry 4 November 19th 03 04:35 AM
Working with Platinum John Franklin Jewelry 17 October 23rd 03 09:29 AM