OT - Mini-Whine on Jobs

Old January 18th 11, 05:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ellice K.

Default OT Update was OT - Mini-Whine on Jobs

On 1/18/11 11:24 AM, in article ,

On 2011-01-15, Ellice K. wrote:
So just as a little update it's like a soap opera "how the jobs turn." Out
of the blue, a placement specialest called me on Thursday - asking if I was
still available/looking . With an interesting opening looking to staff a
reseach/think tank kind of position. So, we set up a phone interview with
the progm manager - she needed my permission to pass it up the chain. And,
in keeping with this week...I waited, waited, sent her an e-mail, then
talked to her. She was flipping that I didn't get the call - but later on
found that the guy was stuck in a meeting, and we're now scheduled for
Monday a.m. We'll see. Pretty interesting if anything comes thru. Got to
spend time prepping - doing some research, and trying to get in touch with
former colleagues. So, maybe something will come of it - though I'm not
going to get excited. Funniest part of the conversation was "how soon would
you be able to start?" - me - 2 weeks - her "OK"... DH does a little
research, and we figure out the push being there is a conference on this
topic in the DC area in mid-Feb - which anyone they bring in they'd want to
attend. So, well, I'll be minimally hopeful....One never knows - maybe some
silver lining pops out!

Ellice

Good luck Ellice! I just started job hunting myself (laid off last
Friday). It's pretty scary, but I'm sure we'll both be fine.
-Margaret

Cheryl told me on the phone - so sorry. Best advice I can give you, besides
perserverence - worthwhile for the technical type jobs, lots of comp sci
types as well, on Linked In. If you're in already, I know folks who've done
well by participating in conversations and getting their names around. If
you're not in - ping me directly and I'll send you an invite.

I got through my phone interview yesterday - went better than I expected -
seems like some guys I used to work with are now with this company, it's
essentially consulting/ science/tech support - but I really like the work
ethic and their team philosophy. Plus they do not supply the "slave to the
gov guy" who has to go get the donuts - so to speak. My guess is that the
man I spoke with had already at least spoken to some folks I know. So, next
step they'll have me meet with some technical guys (and yes, sadly, in this
field it's really, really guys - very few women), and see how things go.
Bad, very bad commute (almost to Woodlawn - but not quite so bad). But, I'd
kind of be going opposite traffic part of the way. I'm hopeful. My
humility quote to him was that I understand being away for a bit, but as
names change, and things reorganize - physics stays the same. He actually
said, "I'm glad you said that - otherwise I'd be worried." The mandate this
company is working towards jives with me philosophically in terms of
protective kind of things - so to speak. We'll see.

I have actually gotten a lot of inquiries from people who've seen my resume
on Monster & Linked-in. A lot of my delay has to do with clearances being
active -which is a big thing in this area, and as the tendancy for HR types
is to look at my resume and track me into that arena.

Anyhow - I wish you the best, just keep pluggins. I'm sure your resume is
in a pretty modern structure - that's the next thing I'm moving to -
summaries, career experience bullets, and then specific kind of
skills/accomplishments. Can you get some leads thru your alma mater -
didn't you finish grad school not that long ago?

So, fingers crossed for us all - and keep your chin up.

Ellice - who is glad to see the nearly 1/2" of ice finally starting to melt
on the sunny side across the street. DH had to punt work - we're a skating
rink on our street - and the cars - and the drive way - still. Next door -
he's now trying to chip off some ice - he gave up at 9 this am.

Old January 19th 11, 02:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ellice K.

On 1/18/11 1:36 PM, in article , "Karen C in
Calif" wrote:

Ellice K. wrote:

DH had to punt work - we're a skating
rink on our street

Why can't he SKATE to work?

LOL - one of his favorite things from the movie Mystery Alaska (aside from
laughing out loud when Russell Crowe is actually skating instead of the
double) is people skating around town.

Can't skate to work 'cause it's about 25 miles, and somehow he has to get to
crossing the Potomac.... Though with his busy reffin' schedule he does
plenty of skating for work - or something like that. He actually told me
not to help him with the de-icing 'cause he figured I'd fall on my butt. I
just cannot do the walking on ice thing (except on a rink getting to some
score box). Skates - no problem. But, am a mess on the icey pavement.
Plus, the not yet repaired knee that got hurt last year is acting up, and my
"good" ankle seems to be having an issue - so I'm pretty much hobbling about
in a less than graceful movement.

We have a shovel with a square blade, shortish handle, and the full loop
handle grip - that we've now promised each other never to get rid of - as
the blade actually could break the ice and slide under to lift it up. Our
NxDrNhbor had his little kids out there trying to help - well, the 7 yr old
girl was helping, the 9 yr old boy was sliding down, and trying to scramble
up the drive....We'll see what the morning brings.

Today for me was an excuse to follow-up on some job stuff, do a little
stitching by the fire while DH napped (after his strenuous ice-breaking),
make potato-leek soup (now 3 qts in freezer), and corned beef & cabbage with
extra veggies for dinner. And, have the kitchen sink back up - have
finished putting in 2nd bottle of liquid Plumr - I think tomorrow will be
plumber adventure (DH has no desire to try and pull the pipes under the
sink. The water seems to be balancing between the sides of the split sink
in the kitchen. At least there is a small sink in the bar that I can use
for any necessities...

Ellice -hoping the rest of our crew are all doing well

Old January 19th 11, 01:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Donna

Today for me was an excuse to follow-up on some job stuff, do a little
stitching by the fire while DH napped (after his strenuous ice-breaking),
make potato-leek soup (now 3 qts in freezer), and corned beef & cabbage with
extra veggies for dinner. *And, have the kitchen sink back up - have
finished putting in 2nd bottle of liquid Plumr - I think tomorrow will be
plumber adventure (DH has no desire to try and pull the pipes under the
sink. *The water seems to be balancing between the sides of the split sink
in the kitchen. *At least there is a small sink in the bar that I can use
for any necessities...

Ellice -hoping the rest of our crew are all doing well

Sorry that other job didn't work out. But the new one sounds
promising:-)

Bleh. I was up and out the door at 5:45 a.m. to take hubby to the Park
N Ride. Could hear the ice melting and dripping and cracking
everywhere. May be slightly warmer here than at your house, right now
my thermometer says it's 35. I'm just happy it looks like it will not
be snowing here on Saturday for Oatlands meeting.

Donna in Virginia

I was out at 5:45 this a.m. to take hubby to the Park N Ride as he has
this executive breakfast meeting to attend. Bleh - what a lovely hour
of the day. Anyway. I could hear the ice melting and dripping
everywhere.

Old January 21st 11, 12:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ellice K.

On 1/19/11 8:04 AM, in article
, "Donna"
wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the hopes. Sorry you're the one dripping now (poor Donna has an
awful cold, which meant she had to leave our stitchy group early).

For those of you who wonder (or not) - we live pretty close - less than 15
mi apart (close in the DC metro area). But, as you come west into Loudoun
Cnty the elevation rises slightly, and the weather actually changes. It's
kind of weird, but generally we'll be a few degrees colder, definitely lots
windier, and usually snowier/iciers. But not always. Our ice finished
melting this morning - in time for it to snow tonight.

My counter to Donna transporting her DH, I took mine downtown last week for
his work, and he was then doing the public transport back. Sent me a note
that he could get a bus direct to the park'n ride about 4 mi from the house.
I went to doctors, etc - and then eventually went to get him, waiting in the
parking lot. Dark, and cold - about 20 F, less with the wind. Eventually -
phone rings "Hey - where are you? Did you get my text?" Nope - cause if
it's important you have to CALL me - phone just beeps once with a text. DH
did a lemming, and followed a bunch of folks onto a bus at the base gate -
it was for Loudoun, the first digit was a 3, so....after a few minutes he
noted the route seemed different - that would be because it is the wrong
bus. So, he's about 12 miles away at a park'n'ride by the Leesburg airport
- and not complaining that I made him take a scarf, gloves, hat...Ah, the
men in our lives. At least he blamed himself...poor thing was waiting in
the cold, and kicking himself for not paying attention. Oh, well.

Ellice

OT Why athletes can't have regular jobs Lizzy Taylor Quilting 9 January 20th 10 03:43 AM
Am I the only one .... and a whine Ellen Quilting 21 July 29th 06 01:15 PM
OT -- I just need to whine the black rose Quilting 16 November 2nd 05 03:54 AM
*whine* SlinkyToy Yarn 2 October 10th 03 08:07 PM
Mini-meetup and mini-shop-hop (longish) TerriLee in WA Quilting 7 September 16th 03 04:34 AM