New reading

Old January 4th 11, 01:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

Default New reading

Found two "new to me" authors to share

The Unquiet Bones by Melvin Starr
http://www.amazon.com/Unquiet-Bones-...n/dp/082546290
8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1294145819&sr=1-1

Really like Hugh - He's gentle and sort of innocent despite being a surgeon
in medieval England. Excellent plot, seems well researched and great cast of
characters.

Veil of Lies by Jeri Westerton

http://www.amazon.com/Veil-Lies-Medi...2580126/ref=sr
_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1294146448&sr=1-1-spell

It's noir alright - a can't like him or hate him "hero", truly the grimy
side of medieval life. But I'm on book three - characters are wonderfully
thought out, good twisty plots - what more could you ask?

I'm on the reserve list for both of the Kate Morton books - just have to
wait it out.

Cheryl

Old January 4th 11, 02:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lucille

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
[...]

These look good. Thanks for sharing./

Old January 4th 11, 05:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Nancy

The Unquiet Bones by Melvin Starrhttp://www.amazon.com/Unquiet-Bones-Chronicle-Singleton-Surgeon/dp/08...

http://www.amazon.com/Veil-Lies-Medi.../dp/0312580126...
_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1294146448&sr=1-1-spell

It's noir alright - a can't like him or hate him "hero", truly the grimy
side of medieval life. But I'm on book three - characters are wonderfully
thought out, good twisty plots - what more could you ask?

I'm on the reserve list for both of the Kate Morton books - just *have to
wait it out.

Cheryl

Both look interesting. I have a Borders gift card to use (hopefully
while they're still in business) and it I can find them here I might
try them.

Currently reading "The Victoria Vanishes" by Christopher Fowler,
another in his Peculiar Crimes Unit series. Next up....probably
something purchased with the gift card unless I read the latest
Patrick Taylor, "An Irish Country Courtship" which I gave DM
for Xmas. We usually read books we've given the other.

Nancy
Old January 4th 11, 09:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lucille

"Ellice K." wrote in message
On 1/4/11 8:11 AM, in article ,
"Cheryl Isaak" wrote:

[...]

Ah, well, I read the Forgotten Garden pretty quickly - it's good - though
will say I figured out the twist about midway. Still waiting for the
other
one. Also read the latest Martha Grimes/Richard Jury - which was good as
well, and only slightly predictable.

Ellice

Like you, I figured out the twist in Forgotten Garden before the end, but I
did enjoy the book anyway.

I'm in the middle of her second book, Distant Hours, now. This one
moves a bit slower, but it's okay and is holding me.

I'm going to look up Martha Grimes/Richard Jury now. I'm always looking for
something good to read and so far have gotten some great recommendations
here.

Lucille

Old January 5th 11, 02:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Gillian Murray

On 1/4/2011 4:39 PM, Lucille wrote:

"Ellice K." wrote in message
On 1/4/11 8:11 AM, in article ,
"Cheryl Isaak" wrote:

[...]

though I
will say I figured out the twist about midway. Still waiting for the
other
one. Also read the latest Martha Grimes/Richard Jury - which was good as
well, and only slightly predictable.

Ellice

Like you, I figured out the twist in Forgotten Garden before the end,
but I did enjoy the book anyway.

I'm in the middle of her second book, Distant Hours, now. This one moves
a bit slower, but it's okay and is holding me.

I'm going to look up Martha Grimes/Richard Jury now. I'm always looking
for something good to read and so far have gotten some great
recommendations here.

Lucille

I really enjoyed the Martha Grinmes books, and avidly read each one as
soon as it came out. Then she went off on a bit of a
tangent......................I need to catch up with the series.
Old January 5th 11, 06:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
joyce

On 2011/01/04 11:08 PM, Ellice K. wrote:

Still struggling thru the "Mr. Norrell& Jonathon Strange" book....

Ellice

Ellice

I gave up on that one, a year or so ago, after reading about 100 pages.
It's really a strange book. I used to finish every book, if only by
skimming, but now I feel I don't have enough time left to read anything
I'm not enjoying, so give up more easily.

Joyce in RSA.
Old January 5th 11, 01:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Donna

Ellice,

I say give up struggling on "Mr. Norrell & Jonathon Strange." It isn't
worth it. I was disappointed in that book after reading all these
glowing reviews.

As for the naked boy photo - rip it up and dispose of it right now!
You could send Amazon a note about what happened, but I'd destroy the
photo asap.

Donna in Virginia

Old January 5th 11, 02:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lucille

"joyce" wrote in message
On 2011/01/04 11:08 PM, Ellice K. wrote:

Still struggling thru the "Mr. Norrell& Jonathon Strange" book....

Ellice

Ellice

I gave up on that one, a year or so ago, after reading about 100 pages.
It's really a strange book. I used to finish every book, if only by
skimming, but now I feel I don't have enough time left to read anything
I'm not enjoying, so give up more easily.

Joyce in RSA.

You said it for me.

I recently did the same thing with Cutting for Stone. I read somewhere
around 100 pages and realized I was struggling through it, so I sent it back
to the library.

I never would have done that years ago. I would have finished it as though
my final grade depended on it. Those days are gone forever.

Lucille

Old January 5th 11, 03:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Arlene

On 1/5/2011 6:47 AM, Lucille wrote:

"joyce" wrote in message
On 2011/01/04 11:08 PM, Ellice K. wrote:

Still struggling thru the "Mr. Norrell& Jonathon Strange" book....

Ellice

Ellice

I gave up on that one, a year or so ago, after reading about 100
pages. It's really a strange book. I used to finish every book, if
only by skimming, but now I feel I don't have enough time left to read
anything I'm not enjoying, so give up more easily.

Joyce in RSA.

You said it for me.

I recently did the same thing with Cutting for Stone. I read somewhere
around 100 pages and realized I was struggling through it, so I sent it
back to the library.

I never would have done that years ago. I would have finished it as
though my final grade depended on it. Those days are gone forever.

Lucille

Cutting for stone is an incredible book. The first 100 pages drags, but
after that its wonderful.

Read it again. You'll love it.

Arlene
Old January 5th 11, 04:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lucille

ndwidth...

"joyce" wrote in message
[...]

Maybe I'll try again in the future. I like the theme, but wasn't happy with
the way it, to use your word, dragged.

Lucille

More reading Cheryl Isaak Needlework 16 October 18th 10 01:25 AM
OT - reading Cheryl Isaak Needlework 6 March 18th 10 09:08 AM
So what is everybody reading Cheryl Isaak Needlework 39 September 22nd 09 05:17 AM
OT - reading Cheryl Isaak Needlework 5 July 12th 05 06:42 PM
Way OT--Reading Lucille Needlework 14 September 18th 03 02:36 AM