Forgot to share this

Old January 11th 11, 08:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

Default Forgot to share this

Wandered into the local consignment shop on the unending quest for a small
wall hung display cabinet the other day. Struck out on that front but I
spotted some color in the pile of linen to one side on the "small item"
display case. Lovely tea towel with a flower and geometric figuring - bright
colors and totally ME.

No price tag, but gorgeous workmanship and very art deco in spirit. I leave
my contact info with a price request - figuring I can't afford it. As I'm
walking out the door, the owner comes in and we ask -

Oh everything in that pile is a dollar!

IT MINE, ALL MINE!!!!

Pictures later!

Cheryl

Old January 12th 11, 02:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Gillian Murray

On 1/11/2011 3:14 PM, Cheryl Isaak wrote:
Wandered into the local consignment shop on the unending quest for a small
wall hung display cabinet the other day. Struck out on that front but I
spotted some color in the pile of linen to one side on the "small item"
display case. Lovely tea towel with a flower and geometric figuring - bright
colors and totally ME.

No price tag, but gorgeous workmanship and very art deco in spirit. I leave
my contact info with a price request - figuring I can't afford it. As I'm
walking out the door, the owner comes in and we ask -

Oh everything in that pile is a dollar!

IT MINE, ALL MINE!!!!

Pictures later!

Cheryl

sounds wonderful. I guess I should check the thrift shops...but in our
area they are the somewhat ratty items that folk like me discard!! No
treasures..but I should keep looking.

Gill
Old January 12th 11, 12:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 1/11/11 9:15 PM, in article ,
"Gillian Murray" wrote:

[...]

This is a consignment shop - selling collectibles and antiques. I am now
wishing I had taken the time to look at the rest of the pile. In the "going
going gone" section, there was a box of vintage fabric that I really thought
about buying for crazy quilting - as if I'll ever really start doing that!

Cheryl

Old January 12th 11, 07:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ellice K.

On 1/11/11 3:14 PM, in article ,
"Cheryl Isaak" wrote:

Wandered into the local consignment shop on the unending quest for a small
wall hung display cabinet the other day. Struck out on that front but I
spotted some color in the pile of linen to one side on the "small item"
display case. Lovely tea towel with a flower and geometric figuring - bright
colors and totally ME.

Sounds great.

No price tag, but gorgeous workmanship and very art deco in spirit. I leave
my contact info with a price request - figuring I can't afford it. As I'm
walking out the door, the owner comes in and we ask -

Oh everything in that pile is a dollar!

IT MINE, ALL MINE!!!!

Woohoo! The last great deals I got was when we were at the EGA weekend
regional and Donna & I did some antiquing, and I got this fab brass
candelabra for $10!
Pictures later!

Looking forward to it. On this topic - we've been going thru and clearing
out the boxes of treasure (and trash) sitting in our storage room and
sunroom. And finding lots of stuff from DH's family - just things that his
mom had stored away and were rarely used. But, on the needlework front, I
have to say, she was meticulous in cataloguing. We found an enormous
tablecloth done in "tied cotton thread" - I cannot describe, but will put a
photo on RCTNP - made by her mother's Great-grandmother - when the woman was
in her 90s around 1920 (Iiread it correctly). It's been kept in saran wrap
on cardboard, so I'm airing it in our dryer freshening cabinet, and then
re-packaging archivally. I don't know if it's displayable - but maybe.
Also, another tablecloth made of silk brocade placemats, hem-stitched with
what looks like biege cordonnet, and then with crocheted bands - like the
sashing between squares on a quilt - joining the mats. Made by a great-aunt
in 1930. All with the full names - in Lithuanian & the Ellis Island
conversions. Plus a bunch of thei interesteing very fine reed work &
basketry that I think is like folk arts from the 30's that DH's grandmother
made - some really lovely things. But, he's told me the huge stash of
cotton crocheted runners & mats I can use - they were under plants, etc.
So, we'll see. But the tablecloths are amazing, and I'm going to bring them
for show-n-tell to a guild meeting.

I don't know much about this early 20th century kind of folk needlework -
maybe some of our more knowledgable - or senior- crew will know. I'm sure
that the tied cloth is some Lithuanian needle art.

Just sharing a bit. I also found a bunch of Indian textiles - pillows,
hangings, mirrored pieces that I'd bought on various trips there. Gosh, I'm
getting old - I've had these for 20 years!

Glad Cheryl got her goodies....

Ellice

Cheryl

Old January 12th 11, 09:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Gillian Murray

On 1/12/2011 7:50 AM, Cheryl Isaak wrote:
On 1/11/11 9:15 PM, in article ,
"Gillian wrote:

[...]

Ohhhhh......Is that the one we went into after lunch last summer; they
weren't opened officially yet, but they let us poke around. That was a
cool place!

Gill
Old January 13th 11, 01:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

"Gillian wrote:

[...]

Yes - on your next trip this way!

Cheryl

Old January 13th 11, 03:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joan E.

On Jan 12, 1:38*pm, "Ellice K." wrote:

Looking forward to it. *On this topic - we've been going thru and clearing
out the boxes of treasure (and trash) sitting in our storage room and
sunroom. *... We found an enormous
tablecloth done in "tied cotton thread" ...
Also, another tablecloth made of silk brocade placemats, hem-stitched with
what looks like biege cordonnet, and then with crocheted bands - like the
sashing between squares on a quilt - joining the mats. *...
Just sharing a bit. *I also found a bunch of Indian textiles - pillows,
hangings, mirrored pieces that I'd bought on various trips there. *Gosh, I'm
getting old - I've had these for 20 years!

Gee, Ellice, that's like going antique shopping and finding some
*great* things, all without having to spend a dime! lol

How lucky you are to have some family heirlooms!

Joan
Old January 15th 11, 02:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ellice K.

On 1/13/11 10:09 AM, in article
, "Joan E."
wrote:

On Jan 12, 1:38*pm, "Ellice K." wrote:

Looking forward to it. *On this topic - we've been going thru and clearing
out the boxes of treasure (and trash) sitting in our storage room and
sunroom. *... We found an enormous
tablecloth done in "tied cotton thread" ...
Also, another tablecloth made of silk brocade placemats, hem-stitched with
what looks like biege cordonnet, and then with crocheted bands - like the
sashing between squares on a quilt - joining the mats. *...
Just sharing a bit. *I also found a bunch of Indian textiles - pillows,
hangings, mirrored pieces that I'd bought on various trips there. *Gosh, I'm
getting old - I've had these for 20 years!

Gee, Ellice, that's like going antique shopping and finding some
*great* things, all without having to spend a dime! Lol

True, very true. It's been quite a delay in going thru this stuff while
trying to get builder corrections done in the house. Plus in a fiasco we
lost stuff in our storage unit. Not a big deal about some pieces of
furniture that were in there - but I'm worried that some of my heirloom
china/silver was still in there. I'm kind of over it - but it's been back
and forth with the attorney about bringing action against the storage unit
company - long story. So, we knew we had a lot of stuff, and DH had been
telling me we need some kind of china cabinet - with me thinking, no, we've
plenty of space. Well, now that we've unearthed a bunch of stuff - and
there are still more boxes with things I have to agree - we're going to need
another piece for the dining room. Which is unbelievable, but...

How lucky you are to have some family heirlooms!

Joan

Yup. It balances the horror of the actual immediate family members (as in
the 2 terrible SILs). DH is quite happy finding these things, and in his
family all of these nice things were put away, buried in layers in a buffet,
etc. So, it's nice for him to remember when he last saw some of them -
when he was a kid, still living in NJ. And that we both want things
visible, being used as appropriate. We've also found some things of mine -
including some interesting artwork - that he's not so sure about. The
needlework is so lovely and kind of unique - a bit heartwarming since we
never were able to meet each other's parents. Just trying to think of a way
to have it somehow displayed or able to be seen/appreciated at times.

The best part - DH has actually agreed to give away a lot of the kind of
ordinary and extra things that we have no need for -which is awesome. So
we've been doing donations of clothing, some old afghans, housewares, almost
every week the last couple of months. Funniest thing - we have enough
engineering/drafting tools to run a class - his stuff, my stuff, and both
our dads. Seriously, how many compasses, slide rules, technical pens of
various ages - can you have. I think we even have a slide rule that is
almost 100 years old, and one of the drafting sets was used when the dad got
it - so it too is about 100 years old. Pretty cool.

Ellice

Old January 15th 11, 07:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Susan Binns

Consignment shops, what a great idea!!! For years I've been looking for a
pattern for tablecloths I used to see all over when I was a kid (some 45
years ago, ahem), but I can't find them anywhere. I should start looking
for the tablecloths themselves maybe.
Does anyone else remember the little squares of white, with large-ish cross
stitches done in different colours all around the edge to make a very
geometric pattern? Kinda hard to describe, and I can't even find a picture
of one to show.

Susan in BC, which reminds me I must go change my nickname now.....

Old January 16th 11, 01:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

SUSAN -
Contact me off line - I may have something for you!

I forgot the name.... Carissa Quilting 6 April 8th 06 11:10 PM
AD and share - mostly share from Glitzy Glass Studio Inspired by Deepwood Art Beads! Glitzy Glass Beads 2 September 29th 05 07:10 PM
I forgot to tell you! AliceW Quilting 16 June 26th 05 11:34 PM
forgot the * Brian Christiansen Quilting 2 January 14th 05 03:28 PM
I forgot again... teddybelle Polymer Clay 1 July 27th 03 07:36 AM