Need shagging instructions

Old January 18th 05, 09:48 PM
Anne

Sally Swindells wrote:

There are so many words from both sides of the Atlantic which are
normal for one side and 'rude' for the other, that I think we just
have to be adult about it - there are probably ones we don't even know
and we could be offending at every stroke of the keyboard. Had friends
who emigrated to Califoria and to begin with they were always
unknowlingly embarrassing people, and it got very awkward when they
had to explain to their children that there were everyday names for
objects that they must not use anymore.

Sally

I have a couple of Brazilian friends who learned "American" English,
then went to England to study at university. One day himself went into
M&S to buy "suspenders" as his trousers didn't have belt loops, and
found out he really needed "braces" instead of a "garter belt". His wife
once complained of the cold, saying it was her own fault though because
she wasn't wearing "pants". She meant "trousers"; her companions heard
"under garments". Somehow they both survived :-) (and still dine out on
their malaprop stories)

--
Anne in CA
"It's not having what you want; it's wanting what you've got." -- Sheryl Crow
Old January 18th 05, 10:49 PM
georg

Anne wrote:

I have a couple of Brazilian friends who learned "American" English,
then went to England to study at university. One day himself went into
M&S to buy "suspenders" as his trousers didn't have belt loops, and
found out he really needed "braces" instead of a "garter belt". His wife
once complained of the cold, saying it was her own fault though because
she wasn't wearing "pants". She meant "trousers"; her companions heard
"under garments". Somehow they both survived :-) (and still dine out on
their malaprop stories)

My brother drank for free for a week on his smooth move in German class-
while as a Rotary foreign exchange in Iceland. (he was 18, so is there
drinking age). A pretty young thing, knowing he spoke pretty much only
English, asked him for a rubber. He reached into his wallet and handed
her one. She had to explain she meant eraser.

I will admit, that language combination will twist anyone up- he didn't
speak Icelandic, the language in which all of his classes were taught,
and they put him in German III, another language he never had a lesson,
so it was all gibberish to the poor dyslexic lad. Good thing those
grades didn't count, as he graduated here before going.

-georg
Old January 18th 05, 10:57 PM
Violet \F'loonslayer\ Volfie

"Pat in Virginia" wrote in message
Well, you haven't' mentioned hair styles! Ever have the
Shag haircut? I always connect it with Florence
Henderson and the Brady Bunch.
When I was in UK I never did anything I couldn't tell
Mom, but I guess I wasn't looking hard enough.

PAT in VA/USA

And what did they call the movie, "The Shaggy Dog" in the UK?

Giselle (btw, if I had said I needed "ragging" directions, THAT would have
meant something odd to *me*)

Old January 18th 05, 11:00 PM
Violet \F'loonslayer\ Volfie

"Judy W" wrote in message
nk.net...
I made myself one and all my kids loved it. I ended up making them all

one.
(a total of 4) I didn't have a problem with the washer or dryer. If your
worried about it, take it to a laundry mat. I love the quilts, they are

nice
to cuddle up in on a cold night.

I did it today. (Yes! I admit it! I shagged my quilt! }

It worked fine, nothing clogged up, nothing went wrong *except* I got little
tiny pill balls of the white flannel all over the red and blue flannel and I
had to shave the whole quilt with a Lady Shick razor and brush it down with
a clothes brush on every square inch of both sides. THAT was awful. Other
than that, it turned out nicely.

Giselle (oh, yeah, and the recipient was *unimpressed* SLAP! )

Old January 18th 05, 11:04 PM
Violet \F'loonslayer\ Volfie

"Anne" wrote in message
I used 1" seams, clipped as close together as my poor hands could manage
(1/2"-5/8" or so), washed it twice and gave it away to DS's GF. She is a
lovely polite young lady who would never complain if her new quilt
wouldn't stop shedding. Must ask next time I see her.

note to Giselle -- my post about Brit English did have the tongue
sticking out smiley face, indicating not to take me too seriously. Got a
flashback on Austin Powers, thats all ;-)

Oh, that's okay. I think I took it the right way. I don't rightly
remember. I was freezing (my furnace was breaking down but I didn't realize
it last night), covered with flannel fuzz up to my eyelashes and in terror
of starting an international incident in a quilting newsgroup -- but I'm
pretty sure an Austin Powers remark got filed into the humorous catagory of
my mind.

Giselle (but, hey, when I finished that it was another UFO off my list!
yeah!)

Old January 18th 05, 11:11 PM
Violet \F'loonslayer\ Volfie

"Johanna Gibson" wrote in message
On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 20:59:57 -0500, "Violet \"F'loonslayer\" Volfie"
wrote:

Of course you are interpreting the word by the UK meaning. I meant it as

would use it in the US. It wasn't until I saw the subject line that I
realized that the meaning to me wouldn't be the same meaning in the UK or
elsewhere. Since it is an international group of adults, I still figured
that most would think it is something that got jumbled in translation,

not a
rude subject line.

BTW, what DO you call these quilts in the UK? We call them shag here.

I'll
change the subject line so this discussion can die but, really, I meant

no
offense. That's REALLY what we call it.

Giselle

I got a laugh out of the subject line. That and the "I could hide
my own Easter eggs" are the best 2 I've seen in a long while.

-- Jo in Scotland

Oh, that explains it. Scots have naughty senses of humor. Anyone who eats
haggis has to.

Giselle - 50% Scots but American by birth and, yes, I eat haggis. With
lots of whiskey. And 'taters and 'neeps. Then more whiskey.

Old January 18th 05, 11:12 PM
Johanna Gibson

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 17:57:16 -0500, "Violet \"F'loonslayer\" Volfie"
wrote:

"Pat in Virginia" wrote in message
Well, you haven't' mentioned hair styles! Ever have the
Shag haircut? I always connect it with Florence
Henderson and the Brady Bunch.
When I was in UK I never did anything I couldn't tell
Mom, but I guess I wasn't looking hard enough.

PAT in VA/USA

And what did they call the movie, "The Shaggy Dog" in the UK?

Giselle (btw, if I had said I needed "ragging" directions, THAT would have
meant something odd to *me*)

Did I tell the story about the Americans who lived in the tiny
English village I lived in? Poor folks had brought their dog over
(went through quarantine)... imagine the rest of the village, as the
innocent Americans stood on their doorstep in the morning and called
into the misty air, "Randy! Randy!"

-- Jo in Scotland
Old January 18th 05, 11:15 PM
Johanna Gibson

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 18:11:49 -0500, "Violet \"F'loonslayer\" Volfie"
wrote:

I got a laugh out of the subject line. That and the "I could hide
my own Easter eggs" are the best 2 I've seen in a long while.

-- Jo in Scotland

Oh, that explains it. Scots have naughty senses of humor. Anyone who eats
haggis has to.

Giselle - 50% Scots but American by birth and, yes, I eat haggis. With
lots of whiskey. And 'taters and 'neeps. Then more whiskey.

I emigrated here. Officially I'm American, and English/Irish/Welsh
by descent - no Scottish in the family tree sadly!
I only eat haggis at gunpoint. And I hate neeps. I could learn to
like whiskey, if I had more practice.

-- Jo in Scotland
Old January 18th 05, 11:26 PM
Bonnie

You don't have to leave the states to find differences in
language. I grew up in Philly and then moved upstate. I
had to learn a whole new vocabulary.

Red up - means to tidy the room
Outten the light - means to turn the light off
It's all - means there is none left
Make down - means it's raining

There are others, but these are the ones that popped
in my head.
--
Bonnie
NJ

Old January 19th 05, 12:28 AM
Denise G.

I just made a polar fleece backed, raggedy flannel front baby quilt . I
washed it once and I had very little shedding. I expected to have tons
of thread everywhere, but just about a 1/2 inch on the drier filter.
I've shaken it outside to see if it would shed more but it didn't.
Maybe it depends on the type or quality of flannel. This stuff came
from Joanns. The only thing that I don't like about flannel is now that
it's been washed twice (once before I cut it up) it looks like I made
the blanket out of old worn out pajamas. It doesn't look crisp and
bright. It's very cuddly though, and I guess that's the important part.
I thought that I might have a hard time cutting the fringe with the tips
of my scissors, but last Fall I bought some little Olfa scissors that
have serrated edges, they worked great.

Denise in NH
My quilt guild:
www.amoskeagqg.org