Sewing machine doctoring & question

Old June 17th 04, 05:13 PM
Debra

Default Sewing machine doctoring & question

Mom and I doctored on our green Singer 185 machines. Hers is the J
bought new at a store, and mine is the Goodwill purchased K. We took
them apart and got the fuzzies out. Boy did mine have a bad case of
the fuzzies. We compared the two machines as we worked and found very
little differences between them. One difference is that mine has a
spring with some felt stuck in it in the bobbin area. Hers doesn't
have the spring at all, but it has a little threaded hole in the spot
where my spring must be coming from. We removed enough of the felt
from the spring to be sure the bobbin case could move freely without
catching on the felt and left it at that since the machine is working.
We found her stitch indicator thingy was stuck, so we fixed that. We
replaced the bent needle in mine. Mine has a plastic replacement
thread spool spindle. I'll replace it with a metal one one day. I'm
not going to wait until the plastic one breaks off leaving me no way
to remove it.

We sent DH to the sewing machine repair shop for some belts and
machine oil. The belt on mom's machine had never been replaced. He
forgot the oil in spite of the list we gave him. No matter, we can
borrow some serger oil from a friend and put the belts on and oil them
really well on Monday.

Now for the question. Is serger oil the same as regular sewing
machine oil?
Debra in VA
Old June 17th 04, 08:37 PM
Julia in MN

Debra wrote:
Now for the question. Is serger oil the same as regular sewing
machine oil?

I use the same oil for both my serger and my regular sewing machine.

Julia in MN

http://mail.chartermi.net/~jaccola/