beads but no findings, findings but no beads.

Old September 6th 03, 02:13 PM
laura

Default beads but no findings, findings but no beads.

Does anyone else do this? I just ordered a bunch of silver from
Monsterslayer. It came in yesterday's mail. I sat down to do some beading
yesterday and-- gee whiz-- it looks like I don't have any beads now.
Nothing goes with anything else. But the reason I ordered all that silver
was because I didn't have anything to go with the beads I have.

Now I'm really confused. I guess the point is to just keep buying stuff
until there's so much here that something has to work with something else!

I guess I will hold off on ordering any more beads for the moment because
we're moving soon and things are in a bit of a stressful state of disarray
as we search for our dream house with, like, next to money, and get ready to
vacate this one. It's terribly hard to discipline myself in this way, lol.
I want more beads!

Laura

Old September 6th 03, 06:11 PM
Tante Lina

laura wrote in message ...
Does anyone else do this? I just ordered a bunch of silver from
Monsterslayer. It came in yesterday's mail. I sat down to do some beading
yesterday and-- gee whiz-- it looks like I don't have any beads now.
Nothing goes with anything else. But the reason I ordered all that silver
was because I didn't have anything to go with the beads I have.

Now I'm really confused. I guess the point is to just keep buying stuff
until there's so much here that something has to work with something else!

I guess I will hold off on ordering any more beads for the moment because
we're moving soon and things are in a bit of a stressful state of disarray
as we search for our dream house with, like, next to money, and get ready
to vacate this one. It's terribly hard to discipline myself in this way,
lol. I want more beads!

Hi Laura,

What happens to me is, I'll order a bunch of beads or findings, start
working, and find there's just one shape or color I don't have. For
instance, I didn't realize how big the hole was on some bead caps -
they needed a tiny disc shape on top to hold them straight. Then I have
to put my piece aside until I have enough stuff on my list to make
another minimum order.

Do you have a beading board, so you can visualize combinations before
stringing? Maybe keep an open mind and play with what you have. You
might surprise yourself.

* TL *

Old September 6th 03, 06:31 PM
Deirdre S.

I used to visit the LBS with a strung strand of 'samples' of things I
already had in my pocket, so I could hold things close together before
making a purchase.

It really is amazing how many truly gorgeous beads that seem to have
the potential to be 'coordinating colors' actually don't look right
once they are side-by-side...

Deirdre

Old September 6th 03, 07:01 PM
Dr. Sooz

Does anyone else do this? I just ordered a bunch of silver from
Monsterslayer. It came in yesterday's mail. I sat down to do some beading
yesterday and-- gee whiz-- it looks like I don't have any beads now.
Nothing goes with anything else. But the reason I ordered all that silver
was because I didn't have anything to go with the beads I have.

Haw haw haw -- yes. All the time. It's terrible! Haw haw!
~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
Old September 6th 03, 09:34 PM
Christina Peterson

There are some things that seems to help me with this.

A big thing is to keep buying the colors I like best in lots of variations,
and not get too tempted to get other colors for other preferences. I also
am more likely to leave less preferred colors languishing for years.

I also have shapes I much prefer. I work best with roundish beads, and
beads of certain sizes. As I'm doing some stringing, I'm finding I need
more beads in the 6 to 8 mm size.

As I'm beginning to use silver and Bali, I'm noticing that bead caps are
often hard for me to use, especially with lampwork. They often have flat
sides, so I need to use a flat disk somewhere between 7 and 10 mm. I hadn't
expected that.

I prefer using only the clasps that are easy for me to use. And the very
simplest toggles look very nice and clean.

I'm using up old coated wire (tiger tail) by using it for preliminary
stringing. I can leave it strung like that until I get a finding etc, if I
need to. Or leave it for a few days (or more) and come back to it, if it
just feels incomplete. At times when I feel indecisive, I can still work,
that way.

Tina

Old September 6th 03, 09:47 PM
laura

"Christina Peterson" wrote in message

As I'm beginning to use silver and Bali, I'm noticing that bead caps are
often hard for me to use, especially with lampwork. They often have flat
sides, so I need to use a flat disk somewhere between 7 and 10 mm. I

hadn't
expected that.

Yeah, I have this problem, too. I'm finding that the caps don't really work
very well the way I envisioned using them. I'm getting a bit creative,
though... and that has its up side--maybe

I prefer using only the clasps that are easy for me to use. And the very
simplest toggles look very nice and clean.

I'm using up old coated wire (tiger tail) by using it for preliminary
stringing. I can leave it strung like that until I get a finding etc, if

need to. Or leave it for a few days (or more) and come back to it, if it
just feels incomplete. At times when I feel indecisive, I can still work,
that way.

Thanks for these tips (even the ones I snipped). It's helpful to know that
all of this is sort of normal

Laura

Old September 6th 03, 09:57 PM
starlia

I read somewhere that you should let friends and children play with your
beads to come up with new combinations. I have twin two year old neighbors.
When they come over they love to play with the beads and I give them each a
beadboard. Sometimes their combinations don't work, but they always come up
with something I would never think of. Their mom is great and helps me too,
when she has time.

Starlia
"Tante Lina" wrote in message
k.net...

Old September 6th 03, 10:02 PM
laura

"Tante Lina" wrote in message
k.net...
laura wrote in message ...
[...]

I do have a beading board, but I don't use it much. It's become another
holding area for beads that are ripening.

Right now most of my beads are in boxes stacked on top of each other, and
it's getting harder and harder to move the boxes around to get to different
ones. I think after we move I will try to set things up to make it more
convenient. I imagine that knowing my work area is about to be
deconstructed isn't helping my motivation right now.

Laura

Old September 6th 03, 10:05 PM
Dr. Sooz

Laura wrote: Now I'm really confused. I guess the point is to just keep
buying stuff
until there's so much here that something has to work with something else!

See? You're not confused at all!
~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
Old September 6th 03, 10:07 PM
Dr. Sooz

I can leave it strung like that until I get a finding etc, if I
need to. Or leave it for a few days (or more)

Or months. Or more. Haw haw haw! Haw!
~~
Sooz
-------