OT Yay Me!

Old August 20th 11, 06:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Default OT Yay Me!

I have been losing weight steadily since May, and today I hit the 30
pounds lost mark.

I have not been on some arcane diet. I have not been using one of those
'eat only our food' programs, nor have I joined a gym.
What I have been doing is rooting hidden sugar out of my diet, the whole
family has been.
After eliminating the obvious, sugared drinks, sugar in coffee or tea,
etc., we went to war against food containing high fructose corn syrup.
We have been seeing it on labels for ages now, but never thought there
was enough in non-sweeties to make a difference. There is.

It hasn't meant a lot of big changes, in a lot of cases it has just meant
changing brands. We are eating more Aldi's store brands, they are
actually the best low to average priced brand for not putting junk in
their food.

We still eat sugar, but we eat it where we want it, not in everything
from catsup to mac and cheese.

Everybody in the house has lost weight, but I have lost the most. I
think that at least part of that is that I am hypoglycemic, and all that
extra sugar was keeping a constantly slightly elevated insulin level
going, and that was dragging me down. I definitely have more energy at
least.

NightMist

--
I'm raising a developmentally disabled child. What's your superpower?
Old August 20th 11, 06:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Karen, Queen of Squishies

YAY you, indeed! What a great way to go after it! My son just told me
yesterday he has a whole folder on his computer called Blind Spots.
Things he discovers like, in plain sight but we don't see it. I think
I'll share this with him. Thanks, and keep up the good work!

Karen, Queen of Squishies

Old August 20th 11, 09:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bobbie Sews More

That is really good news!
Barbara in SC

Old August 21st 11, 12:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Yes, yahoo to your new you. 30 lbs. is a great loss. Glad
the whole family is doing well with the new way of eating.
How is Ash doing with it all?
Taria

Old August 21st 11, 02:31 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

If I lost 30 lbs, Dr. Phil would be banging on my door wanting me to appear
on his show as world's skinniest woman - But - the having more energy with
less sugar sounds intriguing. How very nice to have that bonus. Good, good
for you, NM. Polly

Old August 21st 11, 04:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Taria, Ash has no problem with it whatsoever. He still gets the odd
treat and that is just fine by him.
We have never been a family for frequent sweets as in candy and things.
We only actually have dessert a couple of times a month, and this time of
year that is very likely to be fruit based with minimal sugar in it, that
I prepared. Except for the holidays, on an average we probably get more
sugar from fresh fruit than we do from sweets and such.
Just goes to show you how much added sugar they are actually sneaking
into boughten food these days. Read your labels, it is in everything.
Though you might have to take the time to learn some of the things they
call it to make it seem like there is not as much.

Well Miz Polly, I have never been one of those "buck O five" girls. I
have had some pretty serious curves since I was about 11. I stayed
betwixt 140 and 160 for a long long time. Then one of my doctors
prescribed me a drug that not only turned me into a raving psycho bitch,
it made me gain better than 50 pounds in a little over a month and a
half. The weight is what made me quit it. That weight gain stuck. I
tried walking an extra mile every other day, I tried aerobics machines, I
tried all sorts of exercise, and it just would not budge. I tried a diet
Dr Hotty gave me, and that made me gain another 10 pounds. He was
perplexed because he could tell I had a lot of muscle under the soft
layer.

The more energy with less sugar thing is purely because I am genuinely
hypoglycemic. When you are hypoglycemic and you eat sugar, your pancreas
panics about it and dumps too much insulin into your system. Kind of
like being the exact opposite of diabetic. The most obvious effect of
too much insulin, what you can see, is your energy drops, you may become
confused and lethargic, you may even pass out. Since when that happens
the only thing to do is eat _more_ sugar, though just a tiny amount does
the trick, some people have gotten the notion that hypoglycemics need to
eat candy all the time. Not so, avoiding sugar and sticking to slow
metabolizing carbs is the best bet for avoiding an insulin dump in the
first place.
So when DH decided that the whole family should start avoiding added
sugar in food I was purely delighted just from a basic health perspective.
We had had some very serious rows about some of the food he would bring
in on his shopping days. He thought I was being overly picky, I thought
he was underestimating how much sugar was actually in there. Turns out I
was right, but since he came to the same conclusion wholly independently
all by hizself and with no input from anybody, I am not going to point
that out.:P

NightMist

Old August 22nd 11, 01:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Maureen Wozniak

On Sat, 20 Aug 2011 12:31:20 -0500, NightMist wrote
(in article ):

[...]

Congratulations! Happy dancing for you!

Maureen

I don't think I could give up sugar in coffee. Or half and half.

Old August 22nd 11, 06:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 07:50:20 -0500, Maureen Wozniak wrote:

Congratulations! Happy dancing for you!

Maureen

I don't think I could give up sugar in coffee. Or half and half.

I didn't think I could either.
But I got used to Stevia in it quite quickly.
Do an experiment, every time you put sugar in your coffee put the same
amount into a separate container, and see how much sugar you are eating
via your coffee at the end of a week.
If you only have a cup or so a day it probably won't be more than a
quarter to a half pound or so. If you drink as much coffee as me though,
it comes out to a LOT.
When you stop and think that 3500 sugar calories is a pound on you, you
start adding up the bits you get daily.

Half and half isn't so bad.
Sure it has some fat in it, but it has less fat than the powdered stuff.
The powdered stuff is also loaded with sugar. It makes half and half
look positively healthy. We tend to use evaporated milk at our house
because DH is a bit of a fats nazi.

NightMist
--
I'm raising a developmentally disabled child. What's your superpower?

Yay! Sunny[_2_] Quilting 2 April 7th 09 08:21 PM
Yay! Karen C in California Needlework 0 December 18th 07 02:40 AM
Yay! Linda Gaudet Quilting 36 January 27th 05 06:42 PM
OT -- YAY YAY YAY! Ding dong, the..... Dr. Sooz Beads 123 August 25th 04 08:38 PM
OT -- YAY YAY YAY! Ding dong, the..... LC aka Fiddy Beads 3 August 22nd 04 09:48 PM