OT better than a recipe ?

Old December 23rd 10, 04:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Default OT better than a recipe ?

I'm like Louise. I am overbooked and in over my head. One of the things
I'd like to have on the party foods table is some real, honest-to-goodness
potato chips (including fat, trans-fat and cholesterol) and a dip. I
don't care if they double-dip and exchange germs or not. It's the holidays,
right?
Can you recommend a dip that is 'store bought'? Not one of those that
has 17 ingredients that must be toasted, minced, pickled and gently,
patiently raised from a small seed. Help me. Polly

Old December 23rd 10, 06:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Brian Christiansen

"Polly Esther" wrote in message
I'm like Louise. I am overbooked and in over my head. One of the things
I'd like to have on the party foods table is some real, honest-to-goodness
potato chips (including fat, trans-fat and cholesterol) and a dip. I
don't care if they double-dip and exchange germs or not. It's the
holidays, right?
Can you recommend a dip that is 'store bought'? Not one of those that
has 17 ingredients that must be toasted, minced, pickled and gently,
patiently raised from a small seed. Help me. Polly

A tub of sour cream and onion soup mix makes a good dip, all you gotta do is
stir. Wholly guacamole is good (wholly guacamole is a pre-made, you don't
have to cut up a bunch of ripe avacados, etc.). Salsa, like Pace, is always
good. I prefer those two on tortilla chips like tostitos, but they would
probably work on heavier potato chips like ruffles.

There is also hummus. I am told it is better on pita bread, I really don't
know as I dont recall having too much of it that I can remember, but potato
chips would probably work.

Brian Christiansen

Old December 23rd 10, 06:31 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Thank you so much, Brian. I mostly avoid the long and longingly wonderful
aisle that offers tostitos and ruffles and other grand treats but our guests
are mostly 20-somethings that aren't concerned with cardio-killers. So. I
don't have a clue what's newly just great. I remember and can do the
Lipton's onion mix. Just wondered if there's something that doesn't require
more than stirring. Probably the soup mix has some interesting adds that I
could manage without perfect, ripe, chopped, soaked in lemon and assorted
other time-consuming diddlies? Polly

Old December 23rd 10, 09:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate T.

How about Rotel Tomataoes and Velveta Cheese melted together in a
microwave.

kate T. South Mississippi
Old December 23rd 10, 10:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate XXXXXX Kate XXXXXX is offline
Banned

On 23/12/2010 04:57, Polly Esther wrote:
I'm like Louise. I am overbooked and in over my head. One of the
things I'd like to have on the party foods table is some real,
honest-to-goodness potato chips (including fat, trans-fat and
cholesterol) and a dip. I don't care if they double-dip and exchange
germs or not. It's the holidays, right?
Can you recommend a dip that is 'store bought'? Not one of those that
has 17 ingredients that must be toasted, minced, pickled and gently,
patiently raised from a small seed. Help me. Polly

My Go To recipe for this sort of thing is dead simple: Soured cream and
a couple of tubes: One of minced garlic, one of minced coreander.
Teaspoon of garlic, tablespoon of coreander, stir into a 300g tub of
soured cream. You can also do it with 0% fat Greek yoghurt or reduced
fat creme fraiche. I also put veggie sticks with it for a waistline
watchers.

I like plain Kettle Chips for this. My Simple Salsa is

1 small onion, minced
2 large ripe tomatoes, chopped fine
2 tablespoons tomato puree
1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon sugar
dash of Tobasco
Teaspoon mixed herbs or heaped teaspoon ready minced basil.

Stir and chill. Leave 24 hours if you can.

Hummus:
1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 tablespoons Tahini (sesame paste)
1 teaspoon minced garlic
juice of 1 lemon

Enough water to let it work...

Chuck all the stuff except the water in the food processor. Turn it on.
Add water slowly until you get a smooth creamy mix about the
consistency of your sour cream dip.

If you like some texture to the hummus, don't process it until it's smooth.

I tend to do all three dips and a pile of veggie sticks as well as a big
bowl of crisps.

Suggested veggies:
Cucumber
carrots
bell peppers
celery
courgettes
cauliflower
coss lettuce leaves
Chickory leaves

I also make my own garlic mayo, but you may not want to go to the bother.

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old December 23rd 10, 11:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Tia Mary

Polly Esther wrote:
Thank you so much, Brian. I mostly avoid the long and longingly
wonderful aisle that offers tostitos and ruffles and other grand treats
but our guests are mostly 20-somethings that aren't concerned with
cardio-killers. So. I don't have a clue what's newly just great. I
remember and can do the Lipton's onion mix. Just wondered if there's
something that doesn't require more than stirring. Probably the soup
mix has some interesting adds that I could manage without perfect, ripe,
chopped, soaked in lemon and assorted other time-consuming diddlies? Polly

Just make sure you use LIPTON Onion Soup mix! I've tried other
brands and it's just NOT the same. Add one package to a 1# tub of sour
cream and it's wonderful. Oh -- and make it the day before and let it
sit in the 'fridge overnight. It tastes much better if it's allowed to
"mellow" a bit :-). Mele Kalikimaka! CiaoMeow ^;;^

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ (RCTQ Queen of Kitties)
their whiskers!
Visit my Photo albums at http://community.webshots.com/user/tiamary
Old December 23rd 10, 01:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kay Ahr

Haven't had this in ages. Love my Lipton Onion Soup dip with Fritos! It is
now in my stay-at-home New Year's Eve menu!

Thanks for the reminder.
--
Kay Ahr in Reno/Sparks Nevada USA

Old December 23rd 10, 02:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Louise in Iowa

Oh, heck, Polly. Just head to the dairy section and buy the Ranch dip (I
think most all the dip companies make it). Good stuff.

For tortilla chips, we just take some Velveeta or other artery clogger,
melt it, stir in some salsa (can add a little milk if it's too thick)
and call it good. It's best if it stays warm, of course, so for parties,
we had an electric wok that we'd put it in!

Louise in Iowa
nieland1390 at mchsi dot com

Old December 23rd 10, 04:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Costco sells a really good hummus here in So. Cal.
Some of their stuff is regional and you have to have one in shopping
distance anyway.
Good old onion dip from the soup mix is one the kids seem to get a kick out
of. We ate it as kids and then seems to have been kicked aside not soo cool
for many years. I think it is coming back as a nostalgia food. A block of
cream cheese left to room temp. and then covered with Homeade chili sauce is
always a big hit around here. The Homade chili sauce is kind of sweet and
goes really good with the salty of corn chips. It all sounds good to me!
Taria

Old December 23rd 10, 04:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Donna in Idaho[_2_]

I agree with Taria about the hummus we buy at Costco. The brand we like is
Sabra Hummus with Sun Dried Tomatoes. It has to be served with Multigrain
Tortilla Chips also from Costco.

Donna in Idaho

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5728 (20101223) __________

http://www.eset.com