Last quilt before Christmas!

Old December 23rd 10, 12:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Louise in Iowa

Default Last quilt before Christmas!

Okay, I'll admit it - I slightly overbooked myself for Christmas this
year, but I finally finished the last "has to be done" quilt today. This
is one my niece and I made together (her first) for her little girl's
first big-girl bed.

Our first challenge was come up with a design. She didn't really want to
make a traditional block quilt, and we wanted to make it fairly simple
and not too time consuming. Once the design was determined, we had to
find fabric that matched the paint color in the room that was to become
Ms. P's bedroom. It was a blue-gray color and perfect for it's former
purpose as an office, but not so much for a little girl's room. But, she
didn't want to repaint, so ... off to the LQS, where we chose seven
blue-gray fabrics to create the background.

To keep it on the feminine side, she chose pink and purple for the
accent colors. At this point, I wasn't too sure how this was going to
turn out, but I thought Fairy Frost would help with the "feminization."
Connie at the LQS special ordered the colors we wanted, and we were in
business.

My niece sewed all the background squares together as well as doing all
the applique (except for the ballerina slippers). About the time that
was done, she announced that instead of getting a twin-size bed, they
had decided to get a full-size. Thankfully we hadn't started the
quilting yet, so we were able to adjust by inserting a strip of each of
the two accent colors and adding borders. In the meantime, we started a
search for the backing and came up with this:
http://www.amazon.com/Stonehenge-Qui.../dp/B0042TUNFM

We worked together to quilt it, and then she sewed the binding to the
front. I did most of the hand stitching of the binding, but I left about
18" for her to do so she can be the one to put in the last stitches and
call it done! She's going to add some throw pillows, and she has three
wall decorations that have the same colors, so Ms. P will have quite the
coordinated room!

Well, that was a long story and probably more than you wanted to know.
If you'd like to take a look at a couple of the pictures, they're the
first two in my 2010 Quilts album on Webshots. This link should take you
to them:
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...77585562mBwBXs

Thanks for looking.
--
Louise in Iowa
nieland1390 at mchsi dot com
Old December 23rd 10, 12:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

What a great solution to a not-so-feminine paint color. And a great job
and project for a first quilt! Congrats to your niece and I hope she's
inspired to continue her own quilting adventures.

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old December 23rd 10, 12:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Louise in Iowa

Thanks, Leslie! I think she'll continue - she's already talking about a
t-shirt quilt for her husband, and I'm pretty sure she'll want to do
something special for the next baby (due in April) when he/she gets a
little older. She has her own sewing machine, but she likes to come over
here to use mine, as it's set into a table and easier to work with. I
like that too, because then I get to babysit while she's sewing!

Old December 23rd 10, 02:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

That is a wonderful quilt. You guys did great with the colors. She is
going to love that.
Taria

Old December 23rd 10, 03:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Louise in Iowa

Thanks, Taria. We had such a great time, and while Ms. P doesn't quite
know what to think about it (she's not even 18 months yet), her mom and
I are pretty happy with the results.

Old December 23rd 10, 04:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

The Fairy Frost was a wonderful idea. It's not showing really in the
pictures but I'm sure it gives it some pretty sparkle. I love the appliqué
and your quilting, as always, is gorgeous. Polly, president of Louise's fan
club

Old December 23rd 10, 10:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Lovely! And she won't outgrow those colors right away -good choice!
congrats on making your deadline -you could have taken another whole
day :-)
Roberta in D

Old December 23rd 10, 01:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Louise in Iowa

Thanks, Roberta. Hey, you're right! I could have taken another whole
day. What was I thinking? I have to admit I did sleep well last night
now that it's done!

Old December 23rd 10, 02:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Louise in Iowa

It really did make it sparkle, Madam President. I got a little concerned
as we were working on it, because I read that the Fairy Frost was hard
to quilt or could mess up your machine or something. Didn't happen! It
was a dream to work with. But I didn't realize until we brought it home
that some of it is stiffer than others. There was more "frost" in the
purple fabric, and it was almost like it had been really heavily
starched compared to the pink. It wouldn't have been a good choice for a
drag-around-behind-you quilt!

Old December 23rd 10, 03:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kathyl

search for the backing and came up with this:http://www.amazon.com/Stonehenge-Qui...bric/dp/B0042T...

We worked together to quilt it, and then she sewed the binding to the
front. I did most of the hand stitching of the binding, but I left about
18" for her to do so she can be the one to put in the last stitches and
call it done! She's going to add some throw pillows, and she has three
wall decorations that have the same colors, so Ms. P will have quite the
coordinated room!

Well, that was a long story and probably more than you wanted to know.
If you'd like to take a look at a couple of the pictures, they're the
first two in my 2010 Quilts album on Webshots. This link should take you
to them:http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...77585562mBwBXs

Thanks for looking.
--
Louise in Iowahttp://community.webshots.com/user/louiseiniowa
nieland1390 at mchsi dot com

That's a wonderful quilt, Louise! The color combinations are
perfect! The icing on the cake is your lovely quilting. I think you
and your niece nailed this quilt and it will be a family treasure for
a long, long time.
Kathyl.......a member of Louise's fan club!

Haunted Christmas Quilt Nbhilyard Quilting 2 June 18th 11 05:04 PM
My Christmas Quilt Chiara Quilting 2 September 27th 10 02:29 PM
Christmas Quilt Kate XXXXXX[_2_] Quilting 11 December 20th 08 06:29 PM
FA: 6 CHRISTMAS Books: Christmas Crafts, Christmas Tree Ornaments, Last Minute Christmas Gifts, etc. Sandy Marketplace 0 December 9th 05 01:49 AM
Christmas quilt BDS2pds Quilting 1 August 31st 04 10:20 PM