Blocking

Old April 1st 04, 09:37 PM
Laura

Default Blocking

Hi group,

After lurking for a while, I thought I would post my question - never
have figured this one out.

I started knitting in 1981 and blocked exactly one of my projects (the
first one). I've never blocked anything else, and they always turn
out just fine. Am I missing something here?

Also, for socks, do you all use something like rainbow elastic at the
top for a couple of rows? Or just go with the yarn and expect it to
stay up? Finished my first pair of socks a couple weeks ago and they
seem to be OK. Just wondering.

Laura
Old April 1st 04, 10:15 PM
Noreen's Knit*che

On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 14:37:52 -0600, Laura wrote:

Hi group,

After lurking for a while, I thought I would post my question - never
have figured this one out.

I started knitting in 1981 and blocked exactly one of my projects (the
first one). I've never blocked anything else, and they always turn
out just fine. Am I missing something here?

Also, for socks, do you all use something like rainbow elastic at the
top for a couple of rows? Or just go with the yarn and expect it to
stay up? Finished my first pair of socks a couple weeks ago and they
seem to be OK. Just wondering.

Laura

Hi Laura, glad you delurked! And, WELCOME!
I only block wool.... laceweight, such as shawls... everything else seems
to turn out A-OK, just like you noted.
I've never put elastic in my sox, but others may have!
Hugs,
Noreen

--
http://www.hostultra.com/~knitche
http://www.sharemation.com/knitche

http://www.mblog.com/noreens_knitche
http://mail2office.tripod.com/musings
http://www.freejournal.net/journalle..._user1984.html

change n e t to c o m to email me.
Old April 2nd 04, 04:37 PM
NoraBalcer

Hi Laura,

I've never blocked a thing and I've knit for over 25 years and crocheted for
just about that many.

Hugs,

Nora
Old April 2nd 04, 10:05 PM
Slinky

IMO blocking is something invented to ensure that various pieces of
things would fit together properly even when not knitted properly. If
you can't maintain a consistent gauge as you're knitting the bits of a
sweater you *can* block the bits to have the required dimensions
before you sew them up - but how on earth will the thing look after
you've worn it a couple of times, been caught in the rain, and let it
ride around in your backpack?

Now, pinning out or blocking lace is a necessity. That little scrap
of hole-ridden fluff on your needles turns into something gorgeous
when you pin it out. Don't forget to scour out the FO first -
otherwise it'll smell like all the meals you forgot to wash off your
hands before you picked up the knitting.

Socks: Socks can be knitted to stay up without elastic. One option:
knit short socks. I like short crews, or even anklets. Always have
even when I lived up in the arctic north. Option two: measure the
leg, measure the ankle, figure the difference in stitches and decrease
accordingly (or increase, if you're working toe-up). Recall the Hanes
socks commercials of several years back that bragged on their
cone-shaped stay-up socks? Who do you think invented THAT idea first?
It sure as heck wasn't a mass-production hosiery company

Ok, back to your regularly scheduled programming!

Old April 2nd 04, 10:43 PM
Richard Eney

In article ,
Slinky wrote:
Laura wrote:

I started knitting in 1981 and blocked exactly one of my projects (the
first one). I've never blocked anything else, and they always turn
out just fine. Am I missing something here?

IMO blocking is something invented to ensure that various pieces of
things would fit together properly even when not knitted properly. If
you can't maintain a consistent gauge as you're knitting the bits of a
sweater you *can* block the bits to have the required dimensions
before you sew them up - but how on earth will the thing look after
you've worn it a couple of times, been caught in the rain, and let it
ride around in your backpack?

Now, pinning out or blocking lace is a necessity. That little scrap
of hole-ridden fluff on your needles turns into something gorgeous
when you pin it out.

Blocking makes a difference with wool. Acrylic doesn't block. A wool
sweater may or may not look fine unblocked, but I know of at least two
that looked awful unblocked and looked much better after being blocked.
You wouldn't think the effect would last through being scrunched, etc,
but it does.

Also, for socks, do you all use something like rainbow elastic at the
top for a couple of rows? Or just go with the yarn and expect it to
stay up? Finished my first pair of socks a couple weeks ago and they
seem to be OK. Just wondering.

Socks: Socks can be knitted to stay up without elastic. One option:
knit short socks. I like short crews, or even anklets. Always have
even when I lived up in the arctic north. Option two: measure the
leg, measure the ankle, figure the difference in stitches and decrease
accordingly (or increase, if you're working toe-up).

On me, knee socks don't stay up unless there is elastic at the top, even
when the sock has been knitted to shape. They're okay for moderate wear,
such as sitting around or walking to the car and back, but any significant
amount of walking and they slide down. That's one reason I prefer short
socks.

=Tamar
Old April 2nd 04, 11:07 PM
Spike Driver

wrote:

Hi group,

After lurking for a while, I thought I would post my question - never
have figured this one out.

I started knitting in 1981 and blocked exactly one of my projects (the
first one). I've never blocked anything else, and they always turn
out just fine. Am I missing something here?

Also, for socks, do you all use something like rainbow elastic at the
top for a couple of rows? Or just go with the yarn and expect it to
stay up? Finished my first pair of socks a couple weeks ago and they
seem to be OK. Just wondering.

Laura

In the last 20 years all I have blocked is the same as most, wool. Red
Heart Supersaver and such does not block like Tamar said. I don't do much
wool , Gail is allergic to it and I love wool socks. I was in the military
and worked outside on the rail road as a Section Man ( I drove rail road
spikes for a living ) and loved the wool socks when my feet got sweaty or
cold in the winter. Wool keeps your feet warm even when it is wet as long
as temperature does not drop really low.

God Bless
Dennis

Blocking a quilt KittyG Quilting 30 July 13th 04 04:12 PM
Afghan Blocking Question Noreen's Knit*che Yarn 1 February 10th 04 09:20 PM
So, what do you pay for "blocking" or "stretching"? Momjws1 Needlework 3 December 11th 03 02:25 PM
Blocking a finished garment Karen Yarn 25 November 8th 03 05:09 AM
blocking SlinkyToy Yarn 3 September 9th 03 03:42 PM