Can not use a thimble?

Old July 1st 08, 05:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_2_]

Default Can not use a thimble?

I've tried everything that's been offered as a thimble. Silver, brass,
open, closed, rimmed, ultrasuede, leather. Everything.
Today I've found something for those of us whose fingers need some
protection and nothing works - or we absentmindedly slip past the thimbled
finger and puncture another one.
I knew I was going to be a dismal mess if I didn't find a solution while
putting the binding on my sweetheart's quilt. Decided to try just one more
thing. I snipped some sort of ½" squares of Johnson-Johnson Heavy-Duty
Waterproof FirstAid tape and stacked them on the pad of my 'push' finger.
Then, I secured them with one wrap of tape ending on top of the fingernail.
Viola! Voila! yesssss. All of that. It works, it works.
My first attempt was not so great. I had the edges of the wrap on the
pad of my finger and it stuck to every thread that passed by. On top of
your nail is where the tape seam needs to be.
After about 7 hours of blind-stitching with nary a puncture, I removed
the tape. My fingerprint remains unblemished. The FBI will be glad of that.
If you have been defeated by thimbles, try the tape. Buy some now before it
is marketed as Quilter's Tape and sells for $20 per inch. It could happen.
Happy Polly

Old July 1st 08, 06:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
teleflora

I've used that tape and I like it, Polly. I think I need more layers though
because I poked through. Ouch.

Cindy

Old July 1st 08, 01:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Tia Mary

Polly Esther wrote:
I've tried everything that's been offered as a thimble. Silver, brass,
open, closed, rimmed, ultrasuede, leather. Everything...sniped...
I snipped some sort of ½" squares of Johnson-Johnson Heavy-Duty
Waterproof FirstAid tape and stacked them on the pad of my 'push' finger.
Then, I secured them with one wrap of tape ending on top of the fingernail.
....snipped....Happy Polly

Have you never tried the little sticky back pads made specifically
for this purpose? I have acrylic nails and can't use a thimble either
but the little sticky pads work a treat!! Nice round suede ones are
available but they are a tad $$$ (compared to the plastic ones) so I
often use the heavy clear plastic oval ones instead. I have seen both
types in local craft shops. The ovals are a bit too large for my finger
so I usually cyt them in half and trim off the little pointy corners.
I tried other things like heavy tapes, etc. but they just seemed a
bit too bulky for me. It's also difficult to get tapes, etc. to fit
nicely around my nails and my threads are always getting hung up on the
tape that is on the bak of my nail. The little premade sticky back
bads -- either plastic or suede -- work perfectly. It's worth the few
dollars they cost to give them a try, especially if they work for you
:-). AND when you take the little pad off, you can use it over again
several times if you are careful and stick it back on the paper it came
with. That makes it even better and REALLY worth the $$$ spent --
frugal is GOOD LOLOL! CiaoMeow ^;;^

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ (RCTQ Queen of Kitties)
their whiskers!
Visit my Photo albums at http://community.webshots.com/user/tiamary
Old July 1st 08, 08:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
ME-Judy[_5_]

I keep my leather "sticky pad" on the (plastic) part of my thread scissors -
just above where the blades are. Works great & they last a long time.
ME-Judy

"Tia Mary" wrote in message
Have you never tried the little sticky back pads made specifically for
this purpose? I have acrylic nails and can't use a thimble either but the
little sticky pads work a treat!! Nice round suede ones are available but
they are a tad $$$ (compared to the plastic ones) so I often use the heavy
clear plastic oval ones instead. :-). AND when you take the little pad

Old July 2nd 08, 02:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_2_]

I'm pleased to report that I have finished well more than 400" of binding
with nary a need for a pint of blood or sympathy card. The heavy first-aid
tape worked fairly well. It seems as if I've seen some talk about flexible
thimbles made of that stuff like the newest (if not greatest) cake and
muffin pan composition. Anyone had success with these? Polly

"Tia Mary" wrote in message
Have you never tried the little sticky back pads made specifically for
this purpose? I have acrylic nails and can't use a thimble either but
the little sticky pads work a treat!! Nice round suede ones are
available but they are a tad $$$ (compared to the plastic ones) so I
often use the heavy clear plastic oval ones instead. :-). AND when

Old July 2nd 08, 03:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati C.

I love my soft, flexible thimbles. I think they are silicon but feel
sort of rubbery. Got used to wearing a thimble when working in a men's
alterations tailor shop.... it was a necessity. VBG But I rust metal
thimbles out from the inside. I was afraid the "rubber" thimbles would
make my finger even hotter/sweatier but they don't. There are small
ridges around the inside that help with air circulation. And they are
very light weight. G

Pati, in Phx

Old July 2nd 08, 03:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_2_]

Thank you, Pati. My fingertips are rather square and most thimbles taper
where mine do not. The silicon ones might be flexible enough to work for
me. Are they hard to find? Polly

Old July 2nd 08, 01:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anna Belle [email protected]

I just got one at my LQS. Cost was between 2-2.50 if I remember
correctly. Haven't had much luck with it, I bought too big. I guess
on one of the days my fingers are bigger (arthiritis) it will be good.
There are different styles. indentions on the end and round ends etc.
There are also pretty colors, makes them easier to find.
Anna Belle

Old July 2nd 08, 02:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Tia Mary

Polly Esther wrote:

I'm pleased to report that I have finished well more than 400" of binding
with nary a need for a pint of blood or sympathy card. The heavy first-aid
tape worked fairly well. It seems as if I've seen some talk about flexible
thimbles made of that stuff like the newest (if not greatest) cake and
muffin pan composition. Anyone had success with these? Polly

I've seen something like this somewhere -- not sure if it was in a
catalogue or online. I never look closely because it's still a thimble
and they don't fit over my nails. I have a bunch of the little pads and
would be happy to share with you so you could give them a try and see if
they would be worth your money :-). I only use them when doing
backstitching on my needlework or sewing on my quilt labels so they last
me a long time. CiaoMeow ^;;^

Old July 2nd 08, 02:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_2_]

Thank you so much, Mary, but I have a pack of the thimble pads. I've
ordered the silicon thimble, maybe that will be the one for me. Hey, it was
cheaper than ordering a Bernina 730E and I looked at them too. Polly

"Tia Mary" wrote I've seen something like this somewhere -- not sure if
it was in a
catalogue or online. I never look closely because it's still a thimble
and they don't fit over my nails. I have a bunch of the little pads and
would be happy to share with you so you could give them a try and see if
they would be worth your money :-). I only use them when doing
backstitching on my needlework or sewing on my quilt labels so they last
me a long time. CiaoMeow ^;;^

Thimble substitutes? jennellh Quilting 32 May 9th 08 02:05 AM
The Perfect Thimble. [email protected] Quilting 13 November 12th 06 09:23 PM
thimble request Tina Quilting 0 November 14th 05 12:41 AM
And yet another thimble teleflora Quilting 12 November 10th 05 08:15 PM
The perfect thimble LN \(remove NOSPAM\) Quilting 8 July 22nd 03 11:28 PM