Quilting Thread question

Old July 10th 03, 11:22 PM
Carol Wolfe

Default Quilting Thread question

Hi Everyone. I have completed a top made of black and bright yellow,
green, purple, red and blue. I am using a black batting and backing it
with a tone on tone black. The top turned out beautiful. Now the
question of how to quilt it. I plan on hand quilting it and since it is
a sampler, I am using a different quilting motif on each block. I don't
want to use the normal beige/gray quilting thread but I don't want to
use black in the bright sections. I would like to match the color of
the thread to the section I am quilting but of course, quilting thread
does not come in a rainbow of colors, especially the colors I want. I
do not want to use monofiliment either. Picky, aren't I? The quilt is
mostly for show and won't be used to snuggle in or on a bed. Could I
get away with using a good quality sewing thread in the colors I need?
I never use sewing thread for even hand piecing. I want it to look good
but the thread type really has me stumped. If using sewing thread is
definitely a no-no, I guess I will go with black quilting thread on the
black and beige on the brights. What would you do? Any help and
suggestions are very much appreciated. Happy sewing, Carol

Old July 11th 03, 12:04 AM
Laurie G.

Mettler and Gutterman both have a wonderful selection of 100% cotton
threads. I even think they have a good selection of colors in the
"quilting" thread. I think a 100% cotton thread that you have run
through beeswax should have a nice stiffness to it that would resemble a
heavier quilting thread.

Laurie G.

Old July 11th 03, 01:30 AM
Elena

Hi Carol,
Your quilt sounds wonderful! I went to www.webofthread.com and looked
at their usage chart. http://www.webofthread.com/thread_comp.pdf For
Handquilting, they seem to think

Madeira Cotona 80 weight
Madeira Silk Embroidery Floss
Sulky 12wt Cotton
Sulky 30wt Cotton
Superior Threads Perfect Quilter 30wt
Valdani Hand-Dyed Varigated Cotton 35wt
YLI 1000 denier Silk Embroidery Thread
YLI Colours - cotton - 30/3
YLI Glazed Cotton Hand-Quilting Thread

are all good for hand quilting.

If you check out their color selection, I think you'll be very please to see
just how many colors there are out there for you. Good luck with your
quilt! Please let us know if you try a new thread and like it. Or even if
you don't like it!

Elena, who bought her first spool of Valdani and Robert Anston (Anton?)
today and JUST couldn't afford one of Aurefil, darn it!

Old July 11th 03, 02:22 AM
Ellison

Howdy!
You've already heard several good suggestions,
all suggesting sources of a variety of colors of quilting thread.
I like the Gütterman handquilting thread, as well as the
good ol' Coats&Clark HandQuilting thread.
I handquilt all of my quilts. To choose the color(s) of thread,
I spread the quilt on the floor, leave the room, then come back
for a quick look; this usually shows me which color stands out most
and I quilt w/ that color, or suggests which one color will compliment
everything. And if I choose to change threads for each block, I will. g
In your case, w/ a sampler w/ lots of black, I'd choose purple thread.
Because it sounds good, and it will look good. No reason the quilting
shouldn't show. G
It's just quilting. It's just thread. Whichever you choose, it will be
fine.
Good luck!
Ragmop/Sandy

Old July 11th 03, 02:46 AM
Sandy Foster

In article ,
(Carol Wolfe) wrote:

[...]

Carol, I'd go ahead and use black on the black sections, if you want to.
But have you discovered variegated threads yet? You can find one in
bright primary colors (though I think it also has green and purple) by
YLI, and that would be fun to use on the entire quilt you've made. It
will sort of blend with the colored parts and look spectacular on the
black....
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas

http://home.earthlink.net/~s_foster
Old July 11th 03, 02:48 AM
Megan Vest

You might even consider using a varigated hand quilting thread. There are a
variety of colors and then you could use the same color throughout if there
was a color that was right.
Megan

Old July 11th 03, 04:53 AM
frood

I call this method "sneaking up on it" and this is how I chose the rugs for
my house. I'd bring home 3 or 4 choices, sneak up on them, and figure out
which was the right one. If anybody wants to see my final choices, come on
over! G

--
Wendy
de-fang email address to reply

Old July 11th 03, 06:51 AM
Judy Grevenites

There are some wonderful varigated quilting threads out there. I
wonder, if you change the thread colors as you move from color to color
on the top---what will the back look like? Kind of spotty maybe.
RedQueen

Old July 11th 03, 08:21 AM
Patti

Hullo Carol
I'll leave it to the others to help out with thread - I know very
little, sorry!
But, I just wanted to say that I have heard numerous quilters who have
quilted with black thread on black fabric vow they would never do it
again, as it is so exhausting to the eyes.
If the quilt is a show quilt, rather than a bed quilt, you might like to
have a look at the wonderful colour range (incl. variegated) of
something like Madeira rayons. Gorgeous. (I am sure they're fine for
bed quilts too, but I rarely make bed quilts - sorry Sairey!!)
..
In article ,
Carol Wolfe writes
[...]

Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old July 15th 03, 05:20 AM
Dr. Quilter

that is the one I used in the bright colours and muslin baby quilt I
just finished, and I really like how it switches from yellow to red to
green to blue... will post a picture sometime

Sandy Foster wrote:
In article ,
(Carol Wolfe) wrote:

[...]

Ambassador of Extraordinary Aliens