Mixing Clay brands

Old October 7th 03, 03:46 AM
Emily

Default Mixing Clay brands

Hello. I've been lurking on this list a while, and I"m fairly new to
claying. I am finding it rather addictive though . I have two brands of
clay currently, some Sculpey III and some Primo. (O.k. they're both by
sculpey,but they are different kinds). I got the Sculpey III when it was on
sale ($1 package, 2oz I think) and before I had a pasta machine. It seemed
to be easier to condition without a pasta machine and not as soft as some
other sculpey clays. I didn't do much with claying, and then I got a pasta
machine and some Premo. I read somewhere that Premo is a good kind to use
with pasta machines for beginners. So far, I like both kinds, but I haven't
had enough experience to be able to tell the difference. I have not
actually mixed the two kinds of clay, except in layered pieces where one
layer was completely baked before being added to another layer of the other
kind of clay. Is is possible to mix these two clays, or will bad chemistry
happen? I've also noticed some interesting Sculpey clays such as granite
look alikes. Can these be mixed with Premo or Sculpey III? I've seen some
books and sites that say never mix clays and others that say it's o.k. as
long as you follow certain guidelines. Any advice would be appreciated.

TIA
Emily

Old October 7th 03, 01:50 PM
Bead Sprite

O, yes! You can mix different types and brands together. No nasty chemical
reactions occur. Premo takes less conditioning than all the other clays.
It's also a lot stronger than other clays.

Try looking at http://www.glassattic.com they have a wealth of info on
polymer clay!

Shout if you need more help. This is a very helpful, knowledgable group and
someone will always help. :-)

Enjoy your claying!

--
Amanda
http://www/picturetrail.com/amandarose1

Old October 7th 03, 03:52 PM
Diana Curtis

The world wont come to an end if you mix clay brands, but if you mix sculpey
lll with the harder baking brands they will be weaker finished products
because sculpey lll is the weakest of the clays. Also, when caning all the
clays need to be worked to about the same softness so the cane can reduce
evenly. So, there are reasons why you might choose not to mix them but it
can be done.
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44

Old October 8th 03, 12:44 AM
Emily

Thanks to everyone who replied, and to the personal e-mail as well. I plan
to use only Premo in the future (I like it and it is stronger than Sculpey
III). I found it odd though that the black Sculpey III was so hard to
condition. It took forever to heat it enough to get it through the pasta
machine and even then it had the consistency of tire rubber. My other
Sculpey III became too soft to work with well before the black was even
conditioned!! The only time I worked with clay that hard was back in
highschool when Femo seemed to be the only brand around, and I gave up
quickly because I just couldn't soften it enough to mold or sculpt. Of
course, I didn't know about pasta machines then..... My how the hobby has
boomed in the past ten or so years!

Emily

Old October 8th 03, 04:51 PM
Irwin

I have been using a mixture of Premo and Sculpey III for a few years
now.

A lot of what I make, e.g. boxes, are structural in nature, and the
pieces go through several stages, with a lot of handling.

For me, Premo is too flexible for my work - especially the early
stages her the boxes are thin - so I mix it with Sculpey III which
"cures" stiffer. I have been using a ratio of 1:1 for most things, but
I'm migrating to a mix with more Premo (2:1).

I am very careful about making sure the clays are thoroughly mixed. I
put them in a food processor first and then run through the pasta
machine man many times - criss-crossing slabs of the clay to
facilitate the mixing.

Also, I make sure the pieces are completely baked at Premo's longer
baking times.

My finished pieces have the best qualities of the two clays: stiffness
from Sculpey III, durability from Premo.
I have often dropped (accidentally) boxes onto concrete floors and
unless they hit a thin or structurally fragile area, rarely have they
broken or chipped.

Of course, time will tell whether, in a few years or decades, the
Sculpey III will cause them to crumble, but I highly doubt it.

My only real problem with Premo and Sculpey III is that they are very
soft. Since I handle my pieces a lot, it requires extra care not to
smudge the clay, especially when applying textures.

Some folks have suggested that I use FIMO. I bought a truckload
several months ago but haven't surmounted the obstacle of conditioning
it yet. (With "tons" of Premo and Sculpey still around, I have no
great incentive to break my knuckles yet.)

--- Irwin

Check out my photo albums at -
http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumList?u=3008938
Old October 9th 03, 12:02 AM
Dawn Stubitsch

Try leaching your Premo if it is too soft. I leach it before I sculpt a face
where I need firmer clay. It's still easy to condition but easier to work
with.

--
Dawn Stubitsch
http://www.thumbprintkids.com
om...

Old October 10th 03, 03:07 PM
laurie

Emily, Premo is a fabulous clay...but don't give up on Fimo...it is terrific
for canes and summer claying. If I need the firmness of Fimo for a cane with
the wonderful metallics of Premo I either freeze or refrigerate the canes.

Laurie

Old October 16th 03, 03:57 PM
Irwin

I do leach my clay when needed, often for a day or two. (I usually
leach it so a 1/8" slab has the texture and feel of leather.)

I think the word for Premo's quality is not so much "soft" but
something more akin to "impressionable."

There is something in Premo's constitution that make it unworkable if
leached to the firmness of FIMO. When firm enough to work with, Premo
still is not as forgiving of handling as FIMO or Kato Polyclay. Premo
takes impressions much more easily.

As with most things, there are tradeoffs among the various polymer
clays. For some work, one clay serves me better, for others a
different clay does.

--- Irwin