cross stitch lovers: to grid or not to grid?

Old February 21st 17, 10:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joan Erickson

Default cross stitch lovers: to grid or not to grid?

On 2/20/2017 2:33 PM, Violet Stitches wrote:
On Monday, February 20, 2017 at 1:59:55 PM UTC-6, wrote:

Thanks for the reply Pat! How do you blow up the charts?

Your local public library may also have a photocopier that enlarges
(says the librarian in the group ).

Anyone who can manage to grid 32 count linen should receive some
kind of award, and probably has bionic eyes.

I'm nearly 63 and still stitching, currently on 18 ct aida. I
definitely don't have bionic eyes! LOLOL!

PS Is your stash getting too big? That's never happened to me.

BWAHAHAHAHA! Love it!

--
Joan

See my pictures he http://ndjoan.shutterfly.com/pictures

Unknown
Old February 21st 17, 10:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joan Erickson

On 2/21/2017 7:38 AM, Nancy Spera wrote:

The only time I gridded my fabric was a "stained glass window" with
How Great Thou Art. It really helped with the half and quarter
stitches.

I've always loved that design!

As I was going through your pics, I saw the SAL we did in 2009. I did 4
different colors and they sat in my stitching cabinet for years. I
finally put them together as a kleenex box cover (they were the perfect
size) and they're now in my bathroom! I had to stitch one more for the top.

So nice to see activity in rctn.

It suuuuure is!

Old February 21st 17, 10:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joan Erickson

On 2/21/2017 8:58 AM, Violet Stitches wrote:

What's your verdict on Aida: cheap and ugly, or a decent fabric for our stitching?

Aida has its uses. I use it for patterns that don't use a lot of
partial stitches, for whimsical designs and for those where you don't
see the background fabric at all. I mean, what purpose does it serve to
use that nice fabric and then cover it all up?

And there *is* cheap aida and quality aida.

Old February 22nd 17, 12:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Violet Stitches

I have gridded linen (28 & 32 ct), though, a number of times. That
video, to me, seems a bit cumbersome way to do it. Find the center of
your fabric vertically and horizontally by folding it in half and start
there, gridding outwards in blocks of ten. Check your pattern, too, to
see if your center lines are on a dark line or somewhere in the center
of a block...it might be easier to follow if you put your grid lines so
they match the dark lines of your pattern (ask me how I came up with
that trick! LOL).

If you want to see an example, check out our Firehouse angel project, an
rctn group effort after 9/11:
http://firehouse.heritageshoppe.com/historyA.html

--
Joan

Joan, thanks for suggesting the alternative way to grid...I think working from the center out (verse trying to do the outside edge first) might be an easier way to go.

Also, I want to ask you about Aida...I want to try some and see how it works out. To be honest I haven't used it since I was 10 years old and I'm pretty sure my home ec class gave me the cheapest possible fabric. How does one know cheap Aida from quality Aida? I have to order everything online so I don't have an option to see the fabric. Is there a price range or brand you can recommend?
Old February 22nd 17, 12:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Violet Stitches

One more question Joan...What count aida would be the equivalent to 28ct linen?

Thank you to everyone for your helpful comments!

Old February 22nd 17, 02:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Violet Stitches

Oh my gosh, I just did a search on 123stitch.com, and they have Aida in gorgeous hand dyed and opalescent colors. I had no idea you could get Aida in anything other than white or cream. This opens up new possibilities!
Old February 22nd 17, 04:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
D J

On Tuesday, February 21, 2017 at 8:41:59 PM UTC-5, Violet Stitches wrote:
Oh my gosh, I just did a search on 123stitch.com, and they have Aida in gorgeous hand dyed and opalescent colors. I had no idea you could get Aida in anything other than white or cream. This opens up new possibilities!

I use it for certain patterns, it just depends how detailed the pattern is.
Years ago, I found some yellow, green and pink aida at a store. My boys were little at the time and into Pokemon. I managed to find some patterns of Pikachu, Jigglypuff, and Bulbasaur. The patterns looked like coloring book drawings so I used the colored aida fabric so that I just needed to stitch the outline of the character in black. The boys loved them.

You could try stitching something small, like a bookmark. I stitched a bookmark for my youngest son, can't remember what count the fabric was, and when I was finished I had it laminated. He still has the bookmark to this day.

123stitch.com is a wonderful website and it seemed like everything that I wanted to buy was on sale...including the Raven Queen. I plan to frame the pattern because it's too beautiful to put away in one of my stash bins.

Dawn
Old February 22nd 17, 04:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Violet Stitches

Dawn, I looked up Raven Queen to see what you'll be stitching...it's quite the piece! Here's a brief look on youtube of some who finished it, if anyone is curious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYipPb0MdUE

As I was digging through my stash fabrics tonight I came across a tiny piece of Aida called "Blue Blizzard Opalescent" by Wichelt. I have no idea why I have a piece of aida in my stash as I haven't sewn on it since grade school...I don't know if it was sent to be by mistake years ago or if a shop included it as a sample, or where the heck it came from. It was a *gorgeous* pale blue with a multicolored opalescent sparkle running through it...definitely high quality. They had it on 123stitch so I ordered it for my "No Winter Lasts Forever" project (see here if you forgot what it looks like: http://www.123stitch.com/item/Silver...attern/12-1083 ).

Being that this pattern is more whimsical and not detailed at all, I think Aida will look great. I'll be able to grid it easier and my eyes will be so happy for the rest. You can get an idea of what the fabric looks like in the below link, but it doesn't show the beautiful sparkle.

http://www.123stitch.com/item/Wichel...x18/3706-5169Y

Thanks to everyone for commenting, and helping me find good solutions and new possibilities!

-----------------------

From the Strawberry Sampler I just received an adorable pin cushion project.. Then I looked at the linen...holy crap, it's 40ct. I've never even worked on 40ct before. Guess I'll go blind after all! See it he http://www.strawberrysampler.com/detail.cfm?ID=18174
Old February 22nd 17, 02:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Nancy Spera

On 2/21/2017 4:39 PM, Joan Erickson wrote:
On 2/21/2017 7:38 AM, Nancy Spera wrote:

The only time I gridded my fabric was a "stained glass window" with
How Great Thou Art. It really helped with the half and quarter
stitches.

I've always loved that design!

As I was going through your pics, I saw the SAL we did in 2009. I did 4
different colors and they sat in my stitching cabinet for years. I
finally put them together as a kleenex box cover (they were the perfect
size) and they're now in my bathroom! I had to stitch one more for the
top.

So nice to see activity in rctn.

It suuuuure is!

Hmmm.... I know my SAL and several other version are in my finished
but unfinished (you know what I mean) pile. Your idea of a Kleenex
box cover is a good one. I've got one my mom did many years ago and
now all the Kleenex boxes are too big for it. Perhaps that would
work. Need to unearth them.

Nancy
Old February 22nd 17, 09:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joan Erickson

On 2/21/2017 5:45 PM, Violet Stitches wrote:

One more question Joan...What count aida would be the equivalent to 28ct linen?

That would be 14. The count refers to how many threads per inch and
typically you stitch over 2 threads on linen...28 divided by 2=14. 32
ct. would be equal to 16 ct. Some designs (Heaven & Earth's *beautiful*
designs, in particular) are stitched over 1 thread, which is why they
can get such intricate details. The face on my Fairy Grandmother (by
Lavender & Lace) is done over one and really brings it to life!

Thank you to everyone for your helpful comments!

Happy to!!!