Selecting a Quilting Design

Old March 10th 09, 03:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kathy Applebaum

Default Quilting designs 101 (was Selecting a Quilting Design)

Pat's post reminded me that quilting designs (and quilting in general, as
opposed to piecing) often leave even experienced quilters scratching their
heads. Since the interest seems to be out there, I got the idea to do a
multipart post on how I approach quilting a quilt.

First, the disclaimer. This is just *my* approach, developed over 10 years
(aack, has it been that long?!??) of professional quilting. There are lots
of other approaches -- the best approach is the one that works for YOU. And
the only way you'll find what works for you is to try several different
things out. So give yourself permission to have a bit of fun and experiment.

Second disclaimer is that I'm strictly a machine quilter. I'm not sure I
even own a hand quilting needle. But design is design, and 99% of what I'll
say applies equally to hand quilting.

Enough with the intro, and on to lesson number 1.

Probably the biggest obstacle to choosing a quilting design, even for
professionals, is that when you're staring at a quilt your mind goes
completely blank. Every design you've even seen or thought of vanishes from
your memory. So we're going to develop a design reference you can use to jog
the brain cells.

I use two different references, mostly because I'm too lazy to combine them
into one. The first reference is a binder full of page protectors, divided
into sections labeled "overall", "borders", "blocks", etc. Each page
protector has either a photo I've taken or a page torn from a magazine that
highlights some quilting design that fits into the section. And when I say
highlights the quilting, I mean the quilting -- these aren't photos of
complete quilts, but closeups where I can see every bit of the quilting
design for that area. So if I need inspiration for a border, I can turn to
that section of the binder and flip through just borders.

How do you fill up this binder? The main way is photos. The next quilt show
you take your digital camera to, make sure you also get a couple of dozen
close ups of quilting. When you get home, print those out on plain paper. No
need to use the good photo paper, and you don't even need to print in color.
But get in the habit of collecting these ideas for future use. (I also note
on the back of each printout where I took the photo and who did the quilting
so I can give proper credit, but I've been called anal retentive, too.
*grin*) And get into the habit of taking your camera everywhere you might
find a design, even if it's just your cell phone camera.

My second reference is a sketch book full of sketches and notes. For me, a
5" x 8" size is perfect -- big enough to really draw something out, but
small enough that I will actually take it with me. I like to get real sketch
books, the ones with heavy, slightly rough paper, and I use a soft
mechanical pencil (mechanical because you won't find a pencil sharpener at a
quilt show.) You can pick one of these sketch books up for about $5 at the
office supply (or art supply) store, and it will last a long, long time.

How do you fill up the sketch book? Take it with you to guild meetings,
quilt shows, classes, any place where you have time to sit and doodle. When
you first start filling up the sketch book, your instinct will be to try to
make each doodle perfect. Guess what? It's the mistakes that are the most
valuable. I try drawing a design like I'm quilting -- continuous line at a
constant speed. If I goof up, I start another one right below the first. On
all my goofs, I jot down notes to remind me where the trouble is, like
"watch out coming out of this curve" or "make sure the petals are the same
size". And sometimes the goofs give me inspiration for other, better designs
down the road. And, I make notes on where and when I got the inspiration.
(See anal retentive, above).

At this spot a number of you are saying "But I can't draw!" I can't draw
either. Doesn't matter. The main thing is to get those ideas down and make
notes so your brain gets jogged. Your brain won't get jogged if you never
put anything down on paper, so stop worrying about pretty and start doing.

Making these two references aren't nearly as much work as they sound like,
and they can sure be a lifesaver when you are faced with crippling mind fade
when you are looking at that quilt top.

Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps

remove the obvious to reply
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kathyapplebaum/

Old March 10th 09, 04:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie& The Furbabies in MO.

WOWIE!!! Thanks a million, Kathy. I can hardly wait for the next
installment. This is *exactly* what I needed and I'm sure others will say
the same thing. I'm printing this out- for when things settle down and I
can start my notebooks.

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old March 10th 09, 04:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Default Selecting a Quilting Design

Good question -wish I knew the answer!
IMO a pieced design is often angular-looking and responds well to a
bit of florid quilting. Feathers! Gotta love 'em! Samplers I sometimes
do with a uniform wreath in the center of each block, to pull them
together. Very scrappy quilts might ask for a random all-over design,
like spirals or paisleys. Other times the quilt seems to want
everything outlined. Who can tell, they are all different!
Roberta in D

On Mon, 9 Mar 2009 12:08:24 -0400, "Pat in Virginia"
wrote:

Okay, you've pieced or appliquéd a delightful quilt top. You are pleased and
justifiably proud of it. You want to quilt it (or have it quilted) to
enhance the style and design of the top. How do you decide what to do? Can
you suggest a book that will help train and educate a quilter on this topic?
Do you just give up and do all your quilts the same way?

I really have trouble with this aspect of quilt making. So, I look forward
to reading your opinions, advice, and recommendations. Thanks bunches.

Pat in Virginia

Old March 10th 09, 04:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

wrote:

Okay, you've pieced or appliquéd a delightful quilt top. You are pleased and
justifiably proud of it. You want to quilt it (or have it quilted) to
enhance the style and design of the top. How do you decide what to do? Can
you suggest a book that will help train and educate a quilter on this topic?
Do you just give up and do all your quilts the same way?

I really have trouble with this aspect of quilt making. So, I look forward
to reading your opinions, advice, and recommendations. Thanks bunches.

Pat in Virginia

I forgot the obvious, when in need of ideas post a link to a photo of
the top here and ask for quilting pattern ideas. You will have plenty
of ideas really quickly!
Debra

My art for sale at:
http://www.redbubble.com/people/DesignsByDeb
Old March 10th 09, 04:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 07:54:01 -0700, "Kathy Applebaum" wrote some
really great quilting advice!

Another source for quilting patterns is online. I have accumulated a
lot of free to download patterns while surfing the net. I just print
the ones that are detailed and keep them for inspiration. Some are
continuous line for machine quilting, others are good for fancy hand
quilting. Since I print the web page, the web address and designer's
name are already on the page for me too. Very handy.

Old March 10th 09, 08:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Denise in NH

Pat in VA, I haven't read any responses yet, but when I read your post I
decided to make myself a nice hot cup of coffee, sit down and really
study the answers. The quilting is not my favorite part. I tend to do
straight line quilting or slightly wavy line stitching or SITD. I've
done FM with my little quilting machine, but I don't currently have the
proper table to set it up, so I can't use it at the moment. I would
never spend the money to have them professionally quilted. I've done
some hand quilting, but I don't have the patience for more than just a
baby quilt.

I have trouble visuallizing what pattern to do on most of my quilts. I
do a lot of Trip around the World, Log Cabin, Scrappy, etc. I'm really
looking forward to the answers, and I hope there are lots of 'em.
I've been itching to quilt my 15 or so completed tops, but whenever I
decide to quilt, I'm stymied and put tham away again.

Denise

Old March 10th 09, 08:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article ,
"Kathy Applebaum" wrote:

Probably the biggest obstacle to choosing a quilting design, even for
professionals, is that when you're staring at a quilt your mind goes
completely blank.

Oh boy, is *that* ever the truth! Thanks so much for doing this, Kathy!

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://www.sandymike.net
Old March 10th 09, 08:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Michelle C[_3_]

wrote:

Okay, you've pieced or appliquéd a delightful quilt top. You are pleased and
justifiably proud of it. You want to quilt it (or have it quilted) to
enhance the style and design of the top. How do you decide what to do? Can
you suggest a book that will help train and educate a quilter on this topic?
Do you just give up and do all your quilts the same way?

I really have trouble with this aspect of quilt making. So, I look forward
to reading your opinions, advice, and recommendations. Thanks bunches.

Pat in Virginia

Pat, I can be no help to you. My quilting designs are based on what I
think I can manage. I'm hoping to change that by practicing FM.

Best regards,
Michelle in NV
http://community.webshots.com/users/desert_quilter

Old March 11th 09, 05:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kathy Applebaum

Default Quilting designs 101, part deux

Part deux of the quilting designs series is "How do you get to Carnegie
Hall?"

You all know the answer to that one: practice, practice, practice. Except
I'll modify this a bit, to "practice, practice, play"

The first practice is when you're just starting with machine quilting. One
great piece of advice I got was to spend 30 hours practicing before touching
an actual quilt. To do that, I made 30 mini quilt sandwiches out of plain
muslin that were 14" x 14" (because I could get three from a width of
fabric). Each night when I got home from work, I'd set the timer for an hour
and quilt as much as I could on one. (This was also DH's introduction to
cooking dinner on a regular basis, which was definitely a long-term bonus!
LOL)

I started easy -- just trying to do any random squiggles without breaking
the thread or sewing my fingers to the quilt. (Actually, when you're first
starting, that's not all that easy! LOL) Then I worked on writing my name
with thread (because your name is something you know how to "draw" without
thinking), loops, and meanders. Next I drew a grid on the quiltlet and tried
to follow the lines (that took a LOT of practice!). Once that was down, I
drew a grid of just dots, no lines, and tried to go from dot to dot. Finally
I was able to do things like leaves and stars.

Yes, it takes some discipline to do this first practice. I know some of you
are kicking your heels at the very thought -- I feel your pain; it's not my
strong suit either. But getting the machine to go where you want reliably,
with even stitches, is so fundamental to machine quilting that it's really,
really worth the investment of time. If you're just starting out, don't
skimp on this practice.

Practice number two is for those who are still new-ish at machine quilting.
You can make the machine more or less do what you want, but you aren't
always comfortable. The key is to learn what your quilting style is, and the
way you'll do that is to practice several styles until you find which ones
click. For example, my style is loose and freeform. If you want a flower
design where every petal is exactly the same and every leaf is exactly the
same, I'll tell you right up front that it's not gonna happen. But if you
want a flower design where there's lots of variation, the flowers fill the
spaces they need to fill, and there's interesting stuff going on, I'm your
gal. If I kept trying to do rigid, precise designs, I'd be a very unhappy,
frustrated quilter. I know quilters who do a wonderful job on those designs,
but aren't happy doing things with lots and lots of variation. I think it's
great that we all have different styles -- let's get busy developing yours.

If you're scratching your head over what I mean by different styles, I'll
point you to a couple of examples. (All NAYY, except that I do own books or
patterns by both of these designers). Keryn Emmerson (
http://www.kmquiltingsupply.com/Patt...ynEmmerson.asp) is a good
example of a designer who does very controlled, precise designs. Take a look
at her Celtic Border set -- these need to be very consistent in size and
shape or they won't look good at all. Contrast this with Mary Eddy
(http://www.kmquiltingsupply.com/Patterns/MaryEddy.asp) Take a look at the
Jumbo Pansy design about half way down. While the pansies shown are the same
as each other, you can easily imagine that it will look just as good if the
pansies have lots of variation -- turn the flower a bit, change the petal
sizes a bit, change the leaves a bit, etc.

So how does this relate to practice number two? You're going to practice a
number of different quilting styles until you know what clicks for you. Look
online or at your reference binder and try to pick out a number of different
styles. We're not worried about the exact design. Instead we want controlled
vs. loose, tight vs. open, straight lines vs. curves. vs pointy, realistic
vs. abstract. Spend a couple of hours working on each of these -- enough
time so you get past the "I'm uncomfortable because this is new to me"
stage. By the end of this practice you'll have a really good idea what YOUR
quilting style is.

Step number 3 for getting to Carnegie Hall is play. Whether you're a newbie
or experienced, give yourself permission to play once in a while. Have some
muslin quilt sandwiches made up, grab one, and try new things. (Or use your
sketch book from the last lesson). What if you do a feathered wreath, but
make the "feathers" long and skinny? What if you fill in some "feathers"
with tiny loops? How about changing the "feathers" to leaves? How about
square leaves? Hearts? Stars? Lightning bolts? What if you go back over each
line of stitching 4 or 5 times? The point is to try something different and
have fun doing it. Don't worry about perfect -- if you like what you came up
with, you can perfect it later. This is play time, so tell your inner critic
to go out for coffee and let loose a bit.

Next time: eharmony for quilts

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps

remove the obvious to reply
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kathyapplebaum/

Marking for quilting design Sunny[_2_] Quilting 20 May 9th 08 12:25 AM
New Design Quilting Frame Judith Cook Sewing 1 September 16th 06 09:41 PM
Quilting Design links- nzl* Quilting 1 March 23rd 04 04:30 PM
quilting design question K. Reece Quilting 24 November 26th 03 08:32 PM
Quilting Design Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply Quilting 1 November 24th 03 09:36 AM