Glass Software/ techniques?

Old November 11th 06, 03:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
db

Default Glass Software/ techniques?

"Moonraker" wrote in message
.. .
I'm interested in some software recommendations or (how- to- use
techniques)
that will easily and simply let me scan a photo and convert it to a SG
pattern.

My objective is to be able to scan a hard-copy photo of an item....a
handgun, a pet, a flower, maybe even a landscape... and then convert that
continuous tone photo into a line drawing that then could be altered and
resized into a "real" SG pattern.

All without spending half a day with layers and sprites and fussing about
and becoming a PhotoShop jock.

I've searched around in some of the graphics forums looking for tutorials
that might address what I want to do, but no happy ending, yet.

Comments, ideas, suggestions? Thanks.

Try Kodak Easyshare (free download, last time I checked). It has a category
of 'Fun Effects' in it, one of which is 'Coloring Book'. It pretty much
does what the less ambitious sprites in Photoshop do.

But you should still consider giving Photoshop a chance. There's nothing as
good for finding edges of stuff (from which to trace lines).

Old November 11th 06, 06:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Matthew Lybanon

in article , db at
wrote on 11/10/06 9:32 PM:

"Moonraker" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Another possibility is The Gimp. That is a fairly powerful (but easy to
use) image processing program developed in the Linux world. It is open
source and free. And you can find executable versions for a number of
operating systems, not only Linux.

Old November 11th 06, 08:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Glassman@work

"Moonraker" wrote in message

I have access to thousands of filters for both progs. You do the leg work
to find which one will work, email me and I'll try to get it to you to play
with.

--
JK Sinrod
www.SinrodStudios.com

Old November 12th 06, 12:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Mike Firth

$29

--
Mike Firth
Furnace Glassblowing Website
"Moonraker" wrote in message

"Glassman@work" wrote in message

When you get a solution, don't tell the Chinese, or
they'll be offering SG panels of your house, kids, collectibles for $99
bucks in your choice of colors.

That's exactly where I was headed with all this. Stand by.

Old November 12th 06, 01:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Moonraker

"Mike Firth" wrote in message
$29

Nah...that'd be Brady's price. I can command higher prices. :)

Old November 13th 06, 04:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
[email protected]

Moonraker wrote:
I'm interested in some software recommendations or (how- to- use techniques)
that will easily and simply let me scan a photo and convert it to a SG
pattern.

Have you tried this link yet, there are two programs.
http://sgdesigns.com/download.php