Curling ribbing

Old October 24th 05, 11:34 PM
Sue W

Default Curling ribbing

I've just been knitting a two colour rib: K2 main colour, P1 contrast, and
while it looks lovely, it is curling outwards just like stockinette. Is this
usual? I suppose the opposing forces of the knits and purls don't work so
well when they aren't in the same strand of yarn. Does anyone know of a
solution for this problem?

--
Sue W in East Anglia, UK

Old October 25th 05, 01:25 AM
The YarnWright

Sue,
I've never ever had ribbing curl, so I can't help!
Sorry,
Noreen

. com...

Old October 25th 05, 03:45 AM
Wooly

Try using the MC as 1/1 rib, then use the CC in alternate k/p. Or,
switch to 2/2 rib and do 1k/1p|1p/1k around.

On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 23:34:41 +0100, "Sue W"
spewed forth :

I've just been knitting a two colour rib: K2 main colour, P1 contrast, and
while it looks lovely, it is curling outwards just like stockinette. Is this
usual? I suppose the opposing forces of the knits and purls don't work so
well when they aren't in the same strand of yarn. Does anyone know of a
solution for this problem?

+++++++++++++

Reply to the list as I do not publish an email address to USENET.
This practice has cut my spam by more than 95%.
Of course, I did have to abandon a perfectly good email account...
Old October 25th 05, 04:02 AM
Richard Eney

In article ,
Sue W wrote:
I've just been knitting a two colour rib: K2 main colour, P1 contrast, and
while it looks lovely, it is curling outwards just like stockinette. Is this
usual? I suppose the opposing forces of the knits and purls don't work so
well when they aren't in the same strand of yarn. Does anyone know of a
solution for this problem?

I have trouble figuring out where the stranding goes on two-color ribbing.
It always seems to me that it ought to make a double-stockinette fabric.

Is there some way to twine the yarns when you change colors?

The problem might be the difference in relative strength between
two stitches and one stitch. Have you tried it in k2p2 to see whether
the tension balances?

Of course, if it's wool, it might block out anyway.

=Tamar
Old October 25th 05, 06:13 AM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Sue is this a natural or a synthetic thread ?
Are you ussing the right needle size, when you `change`theads over the
2 stiches do you roll over or under the other colour ?
it shouldn`t roll unless it is a very narrow strip ? what is it for ?

mirjam

Old October 25th 05, 12:30 PM
Sue W

Thanks to all for the suggestions. In answer to the various questions
raised, the yarn is 100% wool Noro Kureyon knitted on 5mm needles in the
round. It's the ribbing for a sweater. I've stranded the yarn as in fairisle
knitting keeping the MC below and the CC above, and kept the tension as
loose as I could, so as not to pucker the fabric. It still makes quite a
solid fabric without much stretch. The sleeves which I've already made
didn't show up this problem since their small diameter doesn't give it much
chance to flare out. It's possible that in use the rib would be okay since
it will be up close against the body. Blocking may well help. I'm reluctant
to pull it out having already done the sleeves.
If you're interested in seeing pictures of the rib in question have a look
at the WIPs album at http://community.webshots.com/user/spw22

Sue

--
Sue W in East Anglia, UK

Old October 25th 05, 02:28 PM
Laura J

"Sue W" wrote in message
. com...
I've just been knitting a two colour rib: K2 main colour, P1 contrast, and
while it looks lovely, it is curling outwards just like stockinette. Is
this usual? I suppose the opposing forces of the knits and purls don't
work so well when they aren't in the same strand of yarn. Does anyone know
of a solution for this problem?

--
Sue W in East Anglia, UK

Sue,

I did a quick search for "corrugated ribbing" and came up with this website:
http://wendyknits.net/archives/000254.html which has a little discussion in
the comments on curling ribbing and different cast-ons you might want to try
to help prevent it. I didn't have time to read the whole thing but a couple
people mention that blocking will indeed fix the problem as well. I also
didn't have time to check out the other links from the search so you might
find more helpful stuff available as well.

Good luck! Your sleeves are beautiful - I can't wait to see the finished
project!

LauraJ

(PS I initially read your subject as "curling ribbon" and was wondering if
you were trying to knit with it!)

Old October 25th 05, 04:29 PM
Sue W

Hi Laura, thanks for that link, it gives me hope that blocking will work. I
used a cable cast on for this, I was trying to avoid estimating the length
of tail to leave for a long tail cast on! If and when I get finished I'll
post a picture.

As for trying to knit with curling ribbon, I think it would be a bit tough
on the fingers and not very soft to wear ;-)

--
Sue W in East Anglia, UK

"Laura J" wrote in message

. com...

Knitting Curling polarg Yarn 4 May 13th 04 01:38 PM
Slinky! a report on the ribbing? Noreen's Knit*che Yarn 4 January 11th 04 11:12 PM
Polar Fleece Ribbing Joy Hardie Sewing 7 November 15th 03 05:55 PM
Increasing in K2 P2 Ribbing Sew-Sew Lady Yarn 6 August 28th 03 04:42 PM