What would you do with 30 year old quilt blocks?

Old February 26th 04, 11:40 PM
Autumn

Default What would you do with 30 year old quilt blocks?

30 years ago my sister embroidered 12 quilt blocks for me to make a baby
quilt out of. Needless to say I never got it done. Now my daughter is of the
age to think about starting a family and I would like to finish this quilt
for her. Would you chance it? It would probably be washed a lot. It was done
on polyester/cotton fabric I think. If not it is 100% cotton. It is a finely
woven fabric. Like a quality sheeting fabric. I also have a friend who does
machine quilting for a business, so I thought the best choice for the actual
quilting might be to have her do it. I imagine the more it is attached to
the filler and backing the longer it would last. Just wondering what I
should do, or if I should not chance it.

Autumn

Old February 27th 04, 12:02 AM
Mary in Oregon

I would finish it and tell your daughter the history and advise it be used
as a WH.

--
Mary
. com...

Old February 27th 04, 12:07 AM
Lisa Ellis

If the blocks are in good shape, it will be okay to use them in a quilt.
I've used old blocks and fabrics without any problem.

In general, I think baby quilts should be heavily quilted because of the
frequent washint which you mentioned. If I were making a quilt using
embroidered blocks, I would probably quilt in the ditch around the
blocks then use echo quilting around the motifs.

lisae

Old February 27th 04, 12:13 AM
Ellison

Howdy!
I would love it and pet it and hug it and hold it, and name it George
.... oh, wait, that was the Abominable Snowman
w/ his new Bugs Bunny Rabbit.
No matter, same thing applies. g
Finish it. Carefully. Wash it w/ a DyeMagnet to pick up
the dye that will probably leach out of the embroidery threat.
Doesn't hurt that it's on poly/cotton.
I bet it will look gorgeous when you get it finished.

Ragmop/Sandy---"Gosh, it's hot!" said the Ab.Snowman

. com...

Old February 27th 04, 12:17 AM
Mystified One

My aunt ended up finishing her own baby quilt after my grandmother died.
I'm not sure it sees any use, but it was important for my aunt to finish it.

Do quilt it, it's the wisest thing to share this memory with your grandbaby.
I'd also make another quilt that the baby can use every day.

. com...

Old February 27th 04, 03:54 AM
Julia in MN

Some embroidery is pretty sturdy. My mother has embroidered blocks for
quite a few baby quilts that have seen a lot of use. Some of the
embroidery has worn away, but these are much loved and much used quilts.
One nephew lost his when he went camping with his junior high
confirmation class, so it had been slept with many, many nights and no
doubt had been through the washer many, many times.

Julia in MN

http://mail.chartermi.net/~jaccola/

Old February 27th 04, 10:46 PM
Cindy Schmidt

Sorry - it's been a really rough day and when I read this subject line I
thought it said "What would you do with A 30 year old".

Think I need to take a break.

Cindy from MO

"Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply " wrote in
message ...

What would you do with 30 year old quilt blocks?

Make a quilt :-)! Of course, that's assuming the blocks are in

relatively
decent condition. If they were dirty and needed a cleaning, I would

probably
hand wash them and then press them and THEN make a quilt :-))! CiaoMeow
^;;^
.

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ Queen of Kitties

their
WHISKERS!!
Nothing is complete without a few cat hairs!

Old February 27th 04, 11:49 PM
Autumn

Thank you everyone, I have the answer I really wanted. I did not want to
leave them or throw them away. I am going to a Sewing and Quilting Expo in a
few weeks. Perhaps I will find some fabrics to frame each block. I already
have a color scheme I would like to find, yellow and blue. Nice generic
colors. Thanks again...

Autumn