Noodles?

Old January 17th 09, 11:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
amy in CNY

Default Noodles?

Welcome back Tina!

i received a charm pack for a birthday a couple years ago, it was of
Batiks. I used most of it for applique.

i'm not real jazzed with the jelly-rolls. i cant seem to get any ideas
that i can wrap my head around for them.

have fun, tho!

amy in CNY
Old January 17th 09, 11:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
off kilter [email protected]

On Jan 16, 7:29 pm, Tina wrote:
I have to tell you ladies something I found really funny!

I haven't been around the group in quite a while and I haven't really
gotten to do much sewing in quite a while. But I have found this
weekend that I have a little extra time on my hands, being off work
for a while to be with my son while he recovers from surgery - so I
thought I would work on sewing something.

Today I had some time to wonder around Hancock's for about 45 minutes
and thought I would treat myself to a few fat quarters, since I
haven't purchased any in O M G over a year! Anyway, I found these big
round things in color groupings called Noodles. Now I remember seeing
something about these somewhere before, maybe for making string
quilts? Old age has got the better of my brain and I can't remember.

So I thought, no problem, I'll just pull up RCTQ when I get home,
Search the postings for "noodles" and surely I will find my answer.

ROFLMAO!!!!!! All I have found so far in 3 pages of results, are
recipes, conversations about how to cook noodles, what to eat noodles
with, when to eat noodles..........

Pretty funny ladies - one would think that the second most favorite
topic of the quilters on this group..... would be food!

Ok, so can someone please help me, refresh my memory, what really
cool, really easy thing was it that I saw or heard you could do with
these bundles of fabric called "noodles?"

Thanks in advance, your old friend in Houston,

Tina

TINA!!!!! You can make really cute quilted bags in different sizes -
which is what I'm doing with the ones that I bought. I'm hoping to
get a bunch made by the time of the March craft fair, and have a
variety of fabrics that I'm mixing and matching.
Catch me on yahoo if you get the chance and tell Billy that Bek and I
say hi (btw, she just had her hair chopped of from the middle of her
back to her shoulders....said it's her BIG girl haircut).

Larisa
Old January 18th 09, 01:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Tina

I think I have decided I am going to make that blues quilt for John
and I that I never made! I had been collecting blues, thanks to many
here at RCTQ and I think I will buy that noodle I saw full of blues.
I went to JoAnn's today - can you believe, they don't even send me
coupons anymore! AAAaaarrggghhh. But fortunately, Simplicity
patterns were only .99 cents, so I bought some patterns for Madison
(my grandbaby) and some fabric to make her an Easter outfit.

And the quilting calico's were all 50% off, so I bought about 6
different blues and some whites with light blues for contrast.

And I think I am going to use the blues (and that noodle) to make us
an Irish Chain! I am SOOO excited to finally be making a quilt for
US! LOL

Thanks to everyone for the input on the "noodles" and "jelly rolls"!

And it is SOOOOOO wonderful to talk to good friends again! THANK YOU,
THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

HUGS!
Tina
Old January 18th 09, 12:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Rita L in MA

Default What to you think about Noodles? (was Noodles)

Pati,

This is a great question. I have avoided these things for the most
part. Partially because of the cost, although convenience does have its
price and is sometimes worth it. My primary reason, though, is that I
am a rabid "pre washer" and can't even imagine the mess that a jelly
roll would turn into - resulting in the loss of the precision benefit
that is the whole point in the first place.

Rita L. in MA

Pati, in Phx wrote:

(Some content deleted...)

This brings up something that has been a topic on the "Quilt
Designers" list..... the proliferation of "precut fabric bundles" (5"
charms, jelly rolls, sweet rolls, layer cakes, and more). Are these a
passing fad or here to stay? why do quilters like them? are they
really worth what you pay for them? (figuring a per yard basis) and so
on.

I love the charm packs but haven't gotten into many of the others.
What do you all think?

Have Fun,
Pati, in Phx
Old January 18th 09, 01:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

My book says 'do not prewash', so I'm relying on Moda to be colourfast
and behave itself, though I will use a colour catcher when I wash the
completed quilt. I'm using a background fabric I had already prewashed
(fabric goes through door into washer then into stash) so am keeping
fingers crossed there will be no shrinkage probs.

Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk

Old January 18th 09, 01:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
anthony

You pre-washers mess up everything... ~)

Actually, I'm a starcher, so they're just as bad for me. I bought one
of the Moda jelly rolls and it's probably destined to be a decorative
item in my studio, just like the Featherweight. I love the idea of
pre-cut strips, but I dread the idea of sewing them together unstarched.

Having said that, I do like Layer Cakes, bundles, and charm packs. Even
though the price is a bit high, they give me great variety of fabrics
without having to buy yardage, most of which would go unused anyway. My
fabric pulling philosophy is "why use one fabric when 20 will do?" And
I kiss a lot of frogs before finding those 20 perfect fabrics. I like
the most variety I can get. If a pattern calls for a 2 yards of red,
I'm likely to buy 1/2 yd of 4 different reds or a 1/4 yd of 8.

If I then decide I want yardage from one of my charms, then I can go in
search of it or something comparable. In the end, considering the sheer
amount of fabric I like to have around when choosing, they are cheaper
for me. It's either that or open a quilt shop. And I never want to
work that hard.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it... ~)
Regards,
anthony in Clearwater

--

Regards,
anthony
Old January 18th 09, 01:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Sometimes they are tempting, so cutely packaged and all. They look
like a nice little gift. And I've both given and received them. Since
scrappy is my favorite, it's like getting a sort of elite scrap
collection. Although I do prefer to pre-wash, and these are a nuisance
from that point of view. I would be disinclined to buy them just for
myself, unless I really needed just a little bit of those particular
fabrics. Hasn't happened yet.
Roberta in D

Old January 18th 09, 01:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Karen[_4_]

I am also a rabid pre washer. The pieces *do* shrink and so
you have to be careful the size of the washed piece is large
enough for the pieces in your pattern.

The precuts are a great way to get all the fabrics in a
collection.

I probably will consider only layer cakes or fat quarter
bundles from now on.

Karen in WI

Old January 18th 09, 03:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Susan Torrens

I'm a pre-washer too! I've had colours run and fabric shrink alarmingly!
The only "noodle" in my collection are the ones I cut from scraps, and
leftover bindings (I cut mine at 2 1/2 inches). I do buy fat quarters from
time to time, especially when it is a colour I need for accent, but don't
want a larger amount in my stash. I've been trying to use up some of my
stash lately, but keep finding great sales while I spend the winter in
Florida!

--
Susan
in Zephyrhills FL for the winter
news

Old January 20th 09, 03:40 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
jeanne-nzlstar*

roflol.
yea, wallowing in all that fabric would be reeeeeeally hard work, eh.
geez, louise.
ya musta lost your noodles, anthony.
j.

"anthony" wrote...
snipped

nickles and noodles Ms P Quilting 18 June 14th 07 08:58 PM
"noodles" KJ Quilting 2 January 27th 07 01:25 AM