Rowenta self clean

Old February 12th 06, 10:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Rowenta self clean

I bought a Rowenta Precision a month or so ago, and although I have really
enjoyed using it, I have a problem or 2 and would appreciate suggestions.

I have been using 'inexpensive bottled spring water' since I really do not
know the hardness of my well water. The iron has recently been dropping
little white specks of something. I figured this might be the time to try
the self clean feature. I am following all instructions, all the steps
about when to plug in and out, and all that, yet as I hold it over the sink
and push the steam slider over to the far right where it says self-clean,
almost no water will come out. It says to hold it a minute and I surely do,
but nothing comes. I eventually just pour the water out the fill hole. I
doubt that the fact that the instructions say hold the self clean button
down, yet what I have is a slider that goes to the far right to self-clean,
is the issue. I guess it is also going down as it goes right.
Instructions also say to clean the 'Vapodur valve' by moving the variable
steam control back and forth. I do that.

I guess opinions on Rowenta are as varied as they could be... what I need is
someone who might have had the same problem, and what came of it. I have
already emailed customer service, did it just now.

Is my Vapodur valve busted, maybe? (huh? my what?)

The iron in question is about mid-range Rowenta, got it at Target.

Thanks.

Old February 12th 06, 11:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

"Betty Maxey" wrote in message
I figured this might be the time to try the self clean feature. I am
following all instructions, all the steps about when to plug in and out,
and all that, yet as I hold it over the sink and push the steam slider
over to the far right where it says self-clean, almost no water will come
out. It says to hold it a minute and I surely do, but nothing comes. I
eventually just pour the water out the fill hole.

On my Rowenta (IIRC, an "Ultra Professional"), I have to hold the steam
level "slider" all the way to the right I hold the iron level (like I'm
ironing) over the sink and rock it very slightly back and forth. After about
20 seconds or so, bursts of steam will come out, along with lots of that
white stuff. The rocking is important, as nothing seems to happen unless I
do that. I keep rocking lightly until all the water has come out as steam
(or drips). I have to keep my finger on the slider, as without pressure it
will pop back to the max steam setting.

Is yours broken? Beats me. But you can email Rowenta and ask them at
http://www.rowentausa.com/

Good luck!!!
--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps

Old February 13th 06, 02:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

And this from DH who keeps my Rowenta blasted out for me. He says he not
only rocks but has to give it a few gentle shakes, has to hold the slider in
place and (!) finds that it is lots easier to clean if done frequently. We
have a water filter thing (Pur, I think and I don't know how to do the
little dots over the u) and I use water from that for the Rowenta. The iron
seems to like it okay but it does get serious use and does have to be
emptied and flushed. Polly

"Kathy Applebaum" wrote in message
. net...

[...]

another Rowenta bites the dust! C & S Quilting 3 December 3rd 05 10:43 PM
Another Rowenta died Susan Laity Price Quilting 19 September 18th 05 07:24 PM
My Rowenta Kate Dicey Quilting 37 April 1st 05 10:21 PM
OT Help me clean my oven! Lynne Van Quilting 30 February 1st 04 10:06 PM
applause for Rowenta Polly Esther Quilting 3 July 17th 03 07:29 PM