gmail - are they reading it?

Old April 24th 05, 04:01 PM
ALZ

Default gmail - are they reading it?

I signed onto my gmail account and received some mail from an
embroidery group when I noticed that there were embroidery ads to to
right.

I then sent myself an email from a different account relating to
quilting and sure enough, there were quilting ads to the right!

Linda
PATCHogue, NY
Old April 24th 05, 04:39 PM
Jeri

ALZ wrote:
I signed onto my gmail account and received some mail from an
embroidery group when I noticed that there were embroidery ads to to
right.

I then sent myself an email from a different account relating to
quilting and sure enough, there were quilting ads to the right!

They probably have software that keys in on words and selects appropriate
ads to show.
I'd hate to see what they'd advertise with some of the spam I get in my
regular email accounts! =:-O
--
Jeri
"Change is inevitable, except from vending machines."

Old April 24th 05, 04:44 PM
Judie in Penfield NY

This is one of the items from the terms of use regarding gmail accounts.

# Advertisements. As consideration for using the Service, you agree and
understand that Google will display ads and other information adjacent to
and related to the content of your email. Gmail serves relevant ads using a
completely automated process that enables Google to effectively target
dynamically changing content, such as email. No human will read the content
of your email in order to target such advertisements or other information
without your consent, and no email content or other personally identifiable
information will be provided to advertisers as part of the Service.

I have no problem with the ads, I rarely even notice them, especially since
I can have my gmail forwarded to a different email account.

Judie in Penfield NY

Old April 24th 05, 04:55 PM
the black rose

Let me get this straight -- are there ads IN your email, or is this
webmail and you have to endure ads as you read your email?

Either way -- ew.

"ALZ" wrote in message

I signed onto my gmail account and received some mail from an
embroidery group when I noticed that there were embroidery ads to to
right.

I then sent myself an email from a different account relating to
quilting and sure enough, there were quilting ads to the right!

Linda
PATCHogue, NY

--

the black rose
Research Associate in the Field of Child Development and Human
Relations

-------- __o
----- -\. -------- __o
--- ( )/ ( ) ---- -\.
-------------------- ( )/ ( )
Old April 24th 05, 05:52 PM
Sandy Foster

In article ,
the black rose wrote:

Let me get this straight -- are there ads IN your email, or is this
webmail and you have to endure ads as you read your email?

Either way -- ew.

It's webmail. However, it's a simple matter to have your gmail messages
forwarded to another account so you'd never see the ads. That's how I do
it, and Judie said she does the same thing. Easy!
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education
Old April 24th 05, 11:34 PM
AliceW

Thanks for the offer, Gary. I have one already. I don't mind the side bar
text ads. Sometimes I find a good link there. Someone has to pay for it
somewhere! It's like getting something "free with purchase". Still a good
deal in my book.
--
Alice in NJ, Royal Cybrarian
http://www.ourcyberfamily.us

"Gary L. Burnore" wrote in message
: On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 15:55:03 GMT, the black rose
: wrote:
:
: Let me get this straight -- are there ads IN your email, or is this
: webmail and you have to endure ads as you read your email?
:
: Either way -- ew.
:
: You get a GIG of space and good filtering. It's a great way to keep
: your real mail box from filling up with crap. Want to try one? I
: have hundreds of "give one away free" options left.
:
:
: --
: gburnore@databasix dot com
: ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
: How you look depends on where you go.
: ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
: Gary L. Burnore | ÝÛ³ºÝ³Þ³ºÝ³³Ýۺݳ޳ºÝ³Ý³Þ³ºÝ³ÝÝÛ³
: | ÝÛ³ºÝ³Þ³ºÝ³³Ýۺݳ޳ºÝ³Ý³Þ³ºÝ³ÝÝÛ³
: DataBasix | ÝÛ³ºÝ³Þ³ºÝ³³Ýۺݳ޳ºÝ³Ý³Þ³ºÝ³ÝÝÛ³
: | ÝÛ³ 3 4 1 4 2 ݳ޳ 6 9 0 6 9 ÝÛ³
: Black Helicopter Repair Svcs Division | Official Proof of Purchase
:
: Want one? GET one! http://signup.databasix.com
:

reading posts Stella Fenley Yarn 0 December 11th 03 09:56 PM
stitching and not reading juliasb(nospam) Quilting 0 October 25th 03 12:00 AM