Help with making a cape

Old November 3rd 09, 03:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Joanna[_2_]

Default Help with making a cape

My kids really want a cape for xmas to play dress up. So I would like to
make them a proper one instead of using blankets and towels. Does anyone
know where there is a pattern on line. Or explain to me how to cut the
pieces? I'm thinking two rectangle pieces with a triangle piece on each
side. Plan on using velcro for closure as buttons are too hard yet for
the 3 year old. Also strings are not safe. Any good pics of a cape laid
out that I can fix the picture in my head.
Thanx
Joanna
Old November 3rd 09, 04:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

A few years ago I found the best free cape patterns online.
http://images.google.com/images?q=ca...ed=0CCgQsAQwAw
Just take your pick, LOL. One very easy and quite good for a little
one is he http://floatingworld.typepad.com/superhero.pdf

Good luck and have fun,
Sunny
Old November 3rd 09, 04:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

I'm so jealous. How I'd love to make a cape, size 3 year-old. What fun!
Joanna, a play cape is mighty simple. All you need to cut is a big circle.
Right in the center of the circle, you need to cut out a small circle for
the neck opening. Cut from the outside edge of the circle to the neck
opening and ta-dah! cape.
Do you know the pencil/string/thumb tack trick for drawing a really big
circle?
If you can find some snazzy fabric that's 60" wide, that would be great.
A lot, of course, depends on the measurement from hem to neck of your little
fellow.
I don't know what fabric you have in mind. I used fleece to line our
Christmas tree skirt (which is generally the same as a play cape) and fleece
comes in a nice wide width. Have fun with this. The little folks will
remember it just forever. Polly

"Joanna" wrote My kids really want a cape for xmas to play dress up. So I

Old November 3rd 09, 08:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

The classic cape is a half-circle, using the desired length as the
radius. So you need a length of fabric about twice as long as that
(plus maybe a bit more for hems and "user error") and wide enough. Lay
it out on the floor, tape it down. Attach a string of the desired
length to the center of one edge, tie the other end to a pencil.
That's your compass. Cut a little half circle out of the edge for the
neck opening, attach ties to close. Probably works best in something
like a heavy drapey jersey. (I saw one in a museum made of Byzantine
silk brocade in dark blue, heavily embroidered with the signs of the
zodiac, belonged to an empress.)
Roberta in D

Old November 3rd 09, 12:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

I am pretty sure I have pattern links someplace.

Before I go look though, I will endorse Polly and Roberta's
suggestions, and add thatfor a childs play cloak you can use a simple
skirt pattern and stick a collar on instead of a waistband. Just
match the shoulder measure to the hip measurement, leave the back seam
open and hem it, and use a full style.

If you want an alternative or addition to velcro, try vest or sweater
clips. I have a couple in my jewelry box, They are a short length (an
inch or two) of fancy or plain chain or beading, with a clip on both
ends. Some of mine have plain clips and some have fancy covered
ones. The clips themselves on most of mine are exactly the sort of
thing you find on children's trouser suspenders (braces). Those would
work just fine as a cloak clasp for a small child.
There are also shorter ones meant to replace the ribbon and slide
hoobajoob on the backs of vests.

NightMist

--

Legolas is my house elf
Old November 3rd 09, 09:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bronnie[_2_]

wrote:

My kids really want a cape for xmas to play dress up. So I would like to
make them a proper one instead of using blankets and towels. Does anyone
know where there is a pattern on line. Or explain to me how to cut the
pieces? I'm thinking two rectangle pieces with a triangle piece on each
side. Plan on using velcro for closure as buttons are too hard yet for
the 3 year old. Also strings are not safe. Any good pics of a cape laid
out that I can fix the picture in my head.
Thanx
Joanna

--

Legolas is my house elf

Or you could fashion or buy a pretty toggle instead of a clip.

Bronnie
Old November 4th 09, 02:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria[_2_]

Make sure whatever closure you use that is easily
dis-engaged. For most kids you want to avoid the
choking hazard. ; )

how is your ankle Bronnie? Hope you are home
safe and healing.
Taria