kids' quilts

Old October 16th 09, 01:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
off kilter [email protected]

Default kids' quilts

Ok ladies and gents, I have, what seems to me, a rather silly
question. I had started an Ariel quilt (as in the little mermaid,
Disney version) a while back and am now stuck. I cut scenes from a
fabric with all over print (on a rock, swimming, etc) and was framing
them with a mint green. I'm stuck...I didn't draft out what I was
going to do with those blocks, so I was hoping you could point me to a
resource that will help me figure out a good layout for blocks of
different sizes. Yes, I should know this by now since I started
quilting in 2003, but I don't think I've actually done a quilt/quilt
top/basic block for nearly 2 years now....but I cull ideas from this
group every day!!

The other question I have is for the "companion" quilt to
Ariel...well, they don't really go together, but Ariel is for a little
girl and the Superhero one is for her brother.....anyway...

I have fabrics of Batman, Spiderman, I think Superman as well as red,
blue, and yellow, but what block or layout to use is escaping me. I
don't want something too childish for this one because he is in
kindergarten and strongly against anything "baby" (much like my own
kindergarten child).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and help. I feel so out of the
loop here and have already set a goal for myself for next year - quilt
block a day...going to get one of those desk calendars and fabrics
that will go with the MBR (once it's painted), and just start making
block for a new quilt.....maybe this will get me back into the
quilting groove.

Larisa, up to her eyeballs in Halloween costuming right now, but needs
a "simple" distraction...on with straight lines and no notches or dots
to match up
Old October 16th 09, 02:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

You have two choices. You can either keep sashing randomly until they
'become' the same size - or - you can toss in things as needed to force each
row to eventually even out. 4-patches, flying geese, just a strip of
stripes or bubbles.
Sounds easy. Sometimes it is.
Do you have a design wall so you can add until you have it 'just so'?
Polly

"off kilter " wrote in
message

Old October 16th 09, 02:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
off kilter [email protected]

On Oct 16, 8:02*am, "Polly Esther" wrote:
[...]

yes ma'am I do....as soon as I take the wolf panel off of it....that
was also a forgotten quilt, but I liked it enough to just leave it
up. Thanks...I will get that down today and put up the sashed blocks
that are finished to see where it leads me.....sometimes all I need is
a gentle shove in the right direction to clear the cobwebs out

Larisa
Old October 16th 09, 02:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Dr. Zachary Smith

On Oct 16, 8:33*am, "off kilter "
wrote:
Ok ladies and gents, I have, what seems to me, a rather silly
question. *

Hi Larisa,

There are no silly questions; only silly answers (and answerers...
8^D )

I was hoping you could point me to a
resource that will help me figure out a good layout for blocks of
different sizes. *

Someone else may know of one; I don't offhand, and it's a tough one.
I've seen layouts for quilts with different size blocks, but, as you
suggest, they're figured out ahead of time. I think you're basically
dealing with a geometric puzzle. It should be solvable, but it may
take some fudging, like adding some odd-sized rectangular spacers here
& there. Play with it, walk away, mix things up, and come at it again
fresh. It may take a few tries, but I think you'll comeup with
something. Hopefully you're not under too much time pressure so your
subconscious can work on the problem for you. Then, of course, Polly
or somebody's going to come along with the perfect solution while I'm
still babbling away...

The other question I have is for the "companion" quilt to
Ariel...well, they don't really go together, but Ariel is for a little
girl and the Superhero one is for her brother.....anyway...

I have fabrics of Batman, Spiderman, I think Superman as well as red,
blue, and yellow, but what block or *layout to use is escaping me. *I
don't want something too childish for this one because he is in
kindergarten and strongly against anything "baby" (much like my own
kindergarten child).

You may not like this next answer, and that's ok... but here it goes.
To get away from the "childish" thing, use dark colors: black, dark
blues, purples, grays. These are the colors the comic books and
movies use to capture/create the moods they want. It's not depressing
for a boy to have these colors when associated with superheros
(useless trivia: the term "superhero" was legally trademarked jointly
by Marvel & DC Comics).

Each of these superheros has a symbol associated with them (and worn
on their chests) that may give you an idea for block and/or quilt
layout. Superman has a pentagonal diamond shape around his "S",
Batman has an oval around the bat symbol, Spiderman has his spider
symbol (without any "framing"), but is also adorned with webs. Hope
these thoughts help.

Doc

Old October 16th 09, 02:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Keith MacDonald

For the Superhero quilt, the Warm Wishes pattern would be perfect, and oh so
easy, especially since you say you have three coordinating colours.
http://www.quiltmaker.com/patterns/d....html?idx=5185

Jane

"off kilter " wrote in
message

Old October 16th 09, 03:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

http://www.coloradoquiltdesigns.com/wallquilts.htm
This is a designer who does a lot that way -scroll down to Garden
Delight or Goose on the Loose. My group did one of hers as a group
project, worked well. Basically, all the smaller blocks are in sizes
that will combine to line up with the biggest size block. then you
just organize everything on the wall until the layout works for you.
Assemble in sections, although the sections don't have to be the same
size.
Roberta in D

Old October 16th 09, 08:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
off kilter [email protected]

Yay!! I knew I could count on you all!! Now that the children are up
from quiet time/naps, I will go work on this....they were kind of brow
beaten into napping today because they wanted to play since they had
the day off, but DS has his belt test tonight (for his black belt
candidate!!!) and DD just needed the rest....I stay where I can hear
them when they are supposed to be napping, just to make sure they
don't sneak into each other's rooms and play.

Anyway....I don't remember seeing warm wishes before...at least not
one that looked like that, so when I can get my computer to boot up
again, I will download the info. I also like that garden
delight....it uses more fabrics than I have on hand for the Ariel
quilt, but I can always adjust that.

Darker colors....I would have thought that would make the quilt too
dark for a 6yo. I know I have the black in my stash....the blue that
I have is the brighter blue and the red is the brighter red.....I had
gone with all primary colors (actually, this is a recycle project as
the fabric was originally used to make curtains which have since been
outgrown). I will check stash to see if I have a darker red.

As for the logos, not sure how to incorporate them, but thank you for
the idea....give me more to mull over as I play with the fabrics....

Thanks again!

Larisa, coming out of the quilting brain fog
Old October 16th 09, 08:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Dr. Zachary Smith

On Oct 16, 3:01*pm, "off kilter "
wrote:

Darker colors....I would have thought that would make the quilt too
dark for a 6yo. *

Not when it's about superheros - even the TV-Y7 versions on tv can get
pretty dark colorwise, but don't take my word for it - watch a couple
(especially the ones you have as subjects) and you might get some
ideas there too. There's still a lot of little kid in this decrepit
carcass (and DW wouldn't have it any other way... :-)

I know I have the black in my stash....the blue that
I have is the brighter blue and the red is the brighter red.....I had
gone with all primary colors (actually, this is a recycle project as
the fabric was originally used to make curtains which have since been
outgrown). *I will check stash to see if I have a darker red.

Outgrown? There's a hint right there. Primaries are good for
costumes, but for atmosphere/themes, dark is better. There's also a
psychological factor I read about that claims bright colors keep kids
awake while muted (or dark in this case) colors help them fall
asleep. I think they were talking more about baby quilts, but 6 is
still pretty suggestible...

As for the logos, not sure how to incorporate them, but thank you for
the idea....give me more to mull over as I play with the fabrics....

Try watching a few shows, with or without the kid(s). ;-)

Doc
Old October 17th 09, 02:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
off kilter [email protected]

On Oct 16, 2:25*pm, "Dr. Zachary Smith"
wrote:

Try watching a few shows, with or without the kid(s). *;-)

Doc

Thanks for the tips. I know about the colors....took me a while to
figure that out because of my ADHD boy.....who now has dark blue
curtains instead of brightly colored ones. The superhero curtains
were about 4 years ago for him, then bright, Panamanian-style print
(actually, I think it was supposed to be a New Zealand-style
print)....something like a Mola. Now it's dark blue, and I stitched
some pockets on one of them so that he can store his glasses and a
book in it when he is done with them.

Anyway, I know we have recorded episodes of IronMan, Spiderman, and
possibly Superman to watch....after all, my son is 9...lol.

Will watch them this weekend to make sure I'm getting the right
colors.

Larisa
Old October 18th 09, 06:56 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Joanna[_2_]

I don't have any suggestions at all. But I have been thinking about this
lately. I want to make DD a quilt and I have a ton of material that are
all one of a kind. So I could do an eye spy type thing which is my
though. But like you I want a some what basic square, but not just a
square. So I was thinking 6" squares, and then cut on the diaganol,
making triangles. Then sew two different ones together, so that no two
are the same. And the just sashing in between until I have the size I
need. But I'm open to hearing everyone's ideas.
Thanx
Joanna