OT need reading material- help!

Old May 25th 07, 12:56 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

Default OT need reading material- help!

http://www.dianemottdavidson.com/ I send a weaker link earlier.

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi
"Leslie & The Furbabies in MO." wrote in message
I knew we've covered this several times, but I can't stay on my computer
long enough to do a lot of searching in the archives, so am asking for the
same ol' stuff..... again.

I thought I'd be laid up with this darn surgery for only two weeks, so I
bought 2 WalMart bags of used paperbacks before the surgery thinking it
would be plenty of reading material. Well, now I'm running out of books.
I need some suggestions so I can order more books online. First, where
are some websites that sell discounted books? Half.com and some "libris"
place? Any others?

Second, I've about exhausted all the books by my fave authors. My first
line of writers include: #1 is Janet Evanovich (of course, Polly! VBG),
Leslie Glass, Nevada Barr, James Patterson, Patricia Cornwell, Sue
Grafton, Sara Paretsky, Kathy Reichs, Earlene Fowler, Sharon Fifer, Diana
Gabaldon, Sara Donati (Is she the same person as Gabaldon???)

Second line: James Lee Burke, Ann Perry, Joan Hess, M. C. Beaton, Alice
Hoffman

Started a Steven Saylor book and just could not get into it. Sorry to
those who enjoy his writing.....

It appears I'm mostly fond of murder mysteries and coroner/pathologist
type books.

So, any suggestions for other authors and cheap books?

I have done very much better the past few days- really turned a corner.
I'm pushing myself in PT. I have a goal- I want to start walking with
some weight bearing sooner than the 2 months mark. I see my surgeon on
June 4 and I want to dazzle him with my progress so I can return to The
Land of The Active/Living.

Thanks again for all the cards and photos and squishies! They are still
coming in daily and so brighten my days! The HairyButt Gang seems to know
I am a bit 'fragile' right now and have been sooooo sweet with me. The
biggest problem is that they cuddle so close that I feel strangled and
suffocated in the bedsheets!

TIA!

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old May 25th 07, 01:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
//Mary/mgl

On May 24, 6:57 pm, "Leslie & The Furbabies in MO." wrote:
[snip]
It appears I'm mostly fond of murder mysteries and coroner/pathologist type
books.

So, any suggestions for other authors and cheap books?

[snip]

There are two authors I didn't see in either of your lists, nor in any
one else's yet, and given that you like mysteries, I highly highly
recommend.. they a

Dick Francis

and

Dana Stabenow

Dick Francis, as you may know, writes primarily mysteries, and many of
them have to do with horseracing, or at least feature horses in some
way, if not as the "main thing". But even if you don't like horses, I
still really really recommend him as an author. He's really great. One
(of many) of my favorites of his is _Decider_ which is about an
architect.

Dana Stabenow has, I think, three different (main) series. Her first
ones which are sci-fi fantasy, but then two other series, both of
which are all mysteries(I think) and set in Alaska. There's the Kate
Sugak series, and the Liam Campbell series. I think the Kate Sugak
ones are my favorite, but I like all of them.

I haven't ever read a book by either of these two authors that I
didn't like!

HTH & get well soon!
//Mary/mgl

Old May 25th 07, 01:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
BJ

You might try Jeffery Deaver. He wrote the book,"The Bone Collector", that
was made into the movie that Denzel Washington starred in. Several of his
books are about that character - Lincoln Rhyme - He is a detective that is
completely paralized and solves crimes with the help of a crew of other
police/detectives. Very interesting.

Good thoughts and wishes for your recovery.

BJ in GA

Old May 25th 07, 01:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny

Polly, Yep, I've read Harry Potter. T hey're fun. But if you want
something to tickle a funny bone and make you keep on your toes, read
something by Terry Pratchett. I'd advise starting with Night Shift or
Guards, Guards or Reaperman. It's not murder and eviseration. It's
sheer wit and silliness. Might give it a try. I would send you one of
mine but my sons would kill me.

Hugs,
Sunny

Old May 25th 07, 01:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debi Matlack

Okay, my favorites:
Diana Gabaldon (not the same person as Sara Donati), Alexander McCall Smith
("Number One Ladies Detective Agency" books), Owen Parry (historical, set
during Civil War, great to read) Ferrol Sams (The "Horsemen" trilogy is
probably one of the best stories I've ever read, period), Adriana Trigiani
(Big Stone Gap series), "The Power of One" by Bryce Courtenay is an
excellent book,Carl Hiaasen is hilarious, especially his older books Skin
Tight and Native Tongue being favorites. My tastes run the gamut in fiction,
front contemporary, to fantasy, to historical and mixes in between. I hope
maybe something I've suggested might fill your need for reading material.;-)

--
Debi

Chaos, panic and disorder ... my work here is done.

Old May 25th 07, 01:48 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debi Matlack

LOVE Terry Pratchett. His novels also are a bit of a sharp look at society,
albeit seen through a very warped lens. Pratchett books are something I have
to read when no one is around because I can't help giggling out loud
sometimes and I don't want anyone to think I've lost my mind.
Oh yeah, Leslie, Bill Bryson is good too. I especially recommend "A Walk in
the Woods." Very funny.

--
Debi

Chaos, panic and disorder ... my work here is done.

oups.com...

Old May 25th 07, 01:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Marcella Peek

In article ,
"Leslie & The Furbabies in MO." wrote:

Second, I've about exhausted all the books by my fave authors. My first
line of writers include: #1 is Janet Evanovich (of course, Polly! VBG),
Leslie Glass, Nevada Barr, James Patterson, Patricia Cornwell, Sue Grafton,
Sara Paretsky, Kathy Reichs, Earlene Fowler, Sharon Fifer, Diana Gabaldon,
Sara Donati (Is she the same person as Gabaldon???)

We share a lot of the same authors to read.

If you like Sara Paretsky you will likely enjoy Linda Barnes. Her
detective is a red haired, guitar playing detective who inherited her
aunts house as well as her parrot named Fluffy.

Michael Connelly has very well written mysteries that take place in LA.
I particularly enjoy the Harry Bosch series that he's written.

If you like Nevada Barr you will probably like CJ Box his series is
about a game warden. It still amazes me how well written his first book
is; most authors take a book or two to get things polished and get their
style tightened up. I do recommend reading them in order as the wardens
family story naturally carries through the novels and he often refers to

A Sue Grafton / Sara Paretsky fan would probably enjoy Marsha Muller.
Her detective is Sharon McCone who zips around San Francisco solving
mysteries though in later books she also flys a plane to further locales.

hope this gives you some ideas
marcella
Old May 25th 07, 02:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
chris

I'm glad to hear you are doing well, Leslie, good luck with the PT and
further recovery

just sent this list to a friend who is also recovering from hip surgery.
His first op was botched a few months ago and he was left with less movement
than he had before. He rang me yesterday to say the second op doesn't seem
to have made any difference. He's feeling very despondant and needed some
movie and fic recs to cheer him up a bit. He's 33 and a sweet guy. His long
term prognosis is not looking good.

Robert Crais - the Elvis Cole series is good
John Sandford- the Lucas Davenport series is excellent, but I also like his
Kidd stories (not enough of them)
Val McDermid
Jefferson Parker
Robert B Parker
Justin Scott - the Ben Abbott series
Minette Walters
Lee Child
and if you like Evanovich, you might enjoy some of Jennifer Crusie's work.
It's a little raunchier than Evanovich, but well written and funny. Welcome
to Temptation has a murder/mystery twist. Amazon's editorial review is an
accurate description.

chris

:-)

Old May 25th 07, 02:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Tia Mary

BJ wrote:

You might try Jeffery Deaver. He wrote the book,"The Bone Collector", that
was made into the movie that Denzel Washington starred in. Several of his
books are about that character - Lincoln Rhyme - He is a detective that is
completely paralized and solves crimes with the help of a crew of other
police/detectives. Very interesting.

Good thoughts and wishes for your recovery.

BJ in GA

IIRC, I have several of his books in this pile of stuff I want to
send to Leslie! They ARE good books -- hope I didn't give them away
already! CiaoMeow ^;;^

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ (RCTQ Queen of Kitties)
their whiskers!
Visit my Photo albums at http://community.webshots.com/user/tiamary
Old May 25th 07, 02:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Paulette

If you can take some tongue in cheek vampire humor, try MaryJanice
Davidson's series about the Vampire Queen Betsy .....
http://www.maryjanicedavidson.net/

I have some I would be happy to send you.
Paulette in WV

still reading off kilter quilter Quilting 2 April 5th 06 04:15 PM
OT - reading Cheryl Isaak Needlework 5 July 12th 05 06:42 PM
Caught up reading maryd Quilting 0 December 12th 04 03:25 PM
Way OT--Reading Lucille Needlework 14 September 18th 03 02:36 AM