Need Directions for Fleece Throw

Old November 21st 04, 02:42 PM
PEmpson181

Default Need Directions for Fleece Throw

I need easy directions for one of the popular fleece throws. My granddaughter
wants to make one for her boyfriend for Christmas. It has to be simple to
follow since she isn't a "crafty" person. Pictures would help.

Thanks.

Pat
Old November 21st 04, 04:29 PM
Barbara Raper

I've made the fleece throws and they are super easy to make. I buy 1 yard
of fleece per gift. It's usually 54" or 60" wide. If you want an almost
square throw, then buy 1 & 1/2 yards per throw. I used my serger with a
contrasting thread to go around the fleece.
(The fleece was burgundy and I used black thread.) If you don't have a
serger, you can just fringe the fleece by cutting into it 4" along each
side. HTH
Barbara in SC & FL---- PM X3 OES

Old November 21st 04, 05:51 PM
Karen Maslowski

Get 2 1/4 yards, and make a throw that will actually cover most people.
We have so many throws here (it gets cold in Ohio, and we keep the
thermostat low in the winter), and almost none of them are long enough
to nap under (can you tell what MY priorities are? LOL).

Karen Maslowski in Ohio

Old November 21st 04, 06:51 PM
CySew

IMHO, all you need to do is decide the length of throw you want, for a 6
footer, I think 2 1/2 yards would be good. Cut the selvedge off each
side(easily done with a rotary cutter, then you have several choices: leave
as is, fleece does not ravel;
use a scalloped rotary cutter if you have one or pinking shears to make a
decorative edging; sew a decorative stitch about 1/4 to 1/2 inch from the
edge; fringe the edge, by sewing a seam around about 3 inches from the edge
and cut 1/2 or 3/4 inch fringe; or as Barbara said, "Serge the edges."
DD used several decorative stitches on her serger for all fifteen or so she
did last year. Also, if you live where it gets very cold, you can use 2
pieces of coordinating colors, cut 5 inches from each corner, cut about 5
inch fringe on all edges, tie the two fringes together in knots going around
the throw, with the wrong side of one piece on top of right side of the
other. This was illustrated in one of Hancock Fabrics booklets one year.
It may still be listed on their web site under projects:
www.hancockfabrics.com

Old November 22nd 04, 03:36 AM
Cynthia Spilsted

Another idea is one that I use: crochet around the outside edge using a
size 20 cotton in a co-ordinating or contrasting colour. I find that a
foundation row plus one round of single crochet (double for those in the
U.K.) gives a very nice finish. Serged is okay - crocheted is nicer.
Cynthia