"Gunk" Under Prongs in Engagement Ring

Old September 1st 03, 11:44 PM
sbright

Default "Gunk" Under Prongs in Engagement Ring

Sounds like dirt (to be honest). A good soak in the ultrasonic followed by
a little steaming should fix it.

There really isn't any reason for solder to be in that spot since the head
gets solder on first and then the seats get cut. If there was solder there
the bur (seat cutter) would have cut it out.

-Stanley

PS- Stop being paranoid of jewelers. You trusted them to buy the diamond -
trust them to take care of you when/if you have a problem.

"PK." wrote in message
Help! A couple days ago I was looking at my wife's engagement ring
(we've been married a year) when I noticed for the first time that
there's some kind of dark brown-black solder or residue under several
of the prongs which doesn't clean off. Now, I bought this diamond
(and ring/setting) from a reputable midtown Manhattan jeweler, but
before I bring the ring back to have it examined by the dealer (and
alarm my wife), I wanted to see if anyone knew what this was. Serious
trouble damaged diamond? Will it come off with a new setting? Anyone
ever heard of something like this? Thanks in advance. Patrick.

Old September 2nd 03, 02:49 AM
NE333RO

There really isn't any reason for solder to be in that spot since the head
gets solder on first and then the seats get cut. If there was solder there
the bur (seat cutter) would have cut it out.

If it doesn't come off it could very easily be solder. We don't know that
it wasn't an estate ring that has been retipped. From the color of the "gunk"
and the fact that it doesn't come off, that would be my guess. By the way, with
the scant information given, a guess is all that it is.
Old September 5th 03, 03:39 PM
sbright

True. I guess I watch too much HBO. My assumption was that since they live
in Manhattan and since Sex in the City says MQ is out and Princess is in, I
assumed that he had either a round or princess modern (traditional or
tacori-ish) design.

I wonder what he has...

-Stanley

Ring ring! Charlie Beads 18 September 3rd 04 04:12 AM
Wire Ring w/ faceted stone Beadbimbo Beads 30 July 19th 04 03:27 PM
Eternity Ring Shu Jewelry 0 July 29th 03 03:55 PM
diamond ring Misia Jewelry 8 July 23rd 03 03:10 PM
question about a ring.... Greg Chu Jewelry 6 July 8th 03 10:32 AM