Needles Breaking; Help, Please!

Old September 7th 05, 01:32 AM
Pat in Virginia

Default Needles Breaking; Help, Please!

This is sooo frustrating! My guild's annual challenge quilts re
due on Friday. Because of the upheaval in my sewing room, I am
racing the clock. My entry is a sampler with 20 blocks. I had
finished stippling the main areas of 19 blocks. Do NOT know why I
missed one, but started to machine stipple it yesterday. Hours
later I am still not finished that ONE block!! I have broken
about 12-13 needles. I am using nylon thread. I changed to a
fresher, but not newly purchased, thread. I changed to different
style or size of needles. I even changed from zig zag plate to
straight stitch plate. The thread keeps breaking. I just
complained to DH and he suggested a tension problem. So I lowered
to number 3 tension and the needle broke again. This is making me
nuts!! I want to finish this blasted block and add the binding.
Then I can get going on a few quick quilts for the Hurricane
People. The quilt will still need more quilting, but will be
acceptable for the display this week. Getting some quilts done
for the relief effort is more important to me. Besides, hanne is
coming tomorrow and will work with me on this effort. So, any
suggestions about this needle issue??
THANKS!! PAT in VA/USA
Old September 7th 05, 01:38 AM
Taria

My favorite machine that I MQ with started breaking threads. WHen I
took it in to the shop the mechanic said I was pulling the fabric too
much rather than letting it feed gently. I was sewing the same way I
had quilted a lot of quilts on that machine so I knew it pretty well
and I wasn't doing anything different. He didn't want to fuss with it
so I took it to another shop and they were glad to take my money. I was
pretty sure it was just slightly knocked out of timing and that was why
all my adjustments didn't work. They found that exactly what had
happened. I got it back and it sews like a dream again. It is really
easy to hit a pin or even just a thick seam and just ever so slightly
throw the timing off. Taking it into the shop was a last resort but
it worked for me.
HTH, Taria

Old September 7th 05, 01:58 AM
Pat in Virginia

Taria:
This SM went in for servicing not very long ago. I've only sewn
some blocks on it since then. I have not hit any pins. Your post
suggests something else to me though. You mention thick seams.
Perhaps the problem is when I am moving the quilt across some
seams; I might be trying to do the turns in the wrong places. . I
will go back and try again. First I will identify all the seams
in the area to be quilted, so I can plan the stipple path to
glide over the seams, and avoid turning over the seams. Thanks.
PAT

Old September 7th 05, 02:54 AM
KJ

Is your thread getting twisted and/or hung up on something? I had this
problem the other day. Broke a couple needles before I realized it was a
problem with the way the thread was coming off the spool and through my cone
thread holder.
I HATE it when that happens.

Old September 7th 05, 03:03 AM
Pat in Virginia

No problem with the thread, in either the vertical or horizontal.
When I went back to study the problem, I realized that I was
using a new foot for the first time. In past I have always used
the darning foot that came with Pfilomina Pfaff, with small metal
circle. A while ago I purchased a new Pfaff darning foot, with
larger, plexiglas circle. A few minutes ago I changed out to the
older, metal foot and poof ... problem solved. I finished the
stippling quickly. Perhaps I had not installed the new foot
correctly. Perhaps it is not right for my model. When I have
time, I will take new foot back to dealer/lqs and question about
this. Meantime, I am very happy ... on to the binding!!
PAT in VA/USA

Old September 7th 05, 03:14 AM
Taria

Try that and if that doesn't work and it hasn't been long there might
be a warranty on the service. Last time I was told sew like crazy on
it cause it is warranted for 90 days. Hope avoiding the seams helps.
I try to stipple around them if I can. SOmetimes a drink and leaving
the machine for a while can help a lot too ; )
Taria

Old September 7th 05, 03:16 AM
Taria

woohoo pat!
glad you and the machine are happy.
Taria

Old September 7th 05, 07:32 AM
Patti

Wow! I'm impressed PAT. You can *plan* a stippling path? !
..
In message CXqTe.5659$rj.3230@lakeread07, Pat in Virginia
writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old September 7th 05, 10:46 AM
Roberta

Pat in Virginia wrote:
No problem with the thread, in either the vertical or horizontal.
When I went back to study the problem, I realized that I was using a new
foot for the first time. In past I have always used the darning foot
that came with Pfilomina Pfaff, with small metal circle. A while ago I
purchased a new Pfaff darning foot, with larger, plexiglas circle. A few
minutes ago I changed out to the older, metal foot and poof ... problem
solved. I finished the stippling quickly. Perhaps I had not installed
the new foot correctly. Perhaps it is not right for my model. When I
have time, I will take new foot back to dealer/lqs and question about
this. Meantime, I am very happy ... on to the binding!!
PAT in VA/USA

Hurray! glad at least you know where the problem lies - now hopefully
it's an easy thing for the dealer to explain and not just some sewing
gremlins

Roberta (in VA)

KJ wrote:

Is your thread getting twisted and/or hung up on something? I had
this problem the other day. Broke a couple needles before I realized
it was a problem with the way the thread was coming off the spool and
through my cone thread holder.
I HATE it when that happens.

Gauge: Circular vs Straight needles Gallagher Yarn 13 August 25th 04 11:56 PM
John James Needles Suzanne Needlework 3 July 20th 04 11:56 PM
Question about John James needles Debra Needlework 13 April 6th 04 08:28 AM
Request for your extra needles and hooks Jenn Vanderslice Yarn 2 February 5th 04 07:41 PM
Nickel plated brass needles AGRES Yarn 0 July 24th 03 09:59 PM