Repost - Taking signups for the 3rd round of the Harry Potter block swap!

Old June 14th 05, 12:34 AM
Johanna Gibson

Default Repost - Taking signups for the 3rd round of the Harry Potter block swap!

Now taking sign-ups for the Harry Potter Block Swap. This swap is
due September 1st so there is still plenty of time to join.
The background fabric you use MUST BE BLUE. You may use any shade of
blue which will depict a day or night sky or complement the indoor
scene you are making. Background fabrics may be tone on tone, batiks,
stars, marbled, etc., but they MUST BE BLUE! The block size for this
swap is 10 inch finished (10.5" unfinished).
To assure enough variety, each set may contain between 5 and 10
blocks of the same design. (Make and keep an extra one if you want to
keep one of your designs - I will endeavour to ensure you do not
receive one of your own blocks back during the swap). You may sew and
send as many different sets of blocks as you want but you must make
each set of blocks using different fabrics and a different pattern.
Any method of construction is allowed in this swap, i.e. your blocks
may be either appliqued, embroidered, paper pieced or traditionally
pieced. (In the past, most people have chosen to do applique).
Please make and send in blocks similar to ones that you would like to
receive.
ONLY QUILT SHOP QUALITY FABRICS WILL BE ACCEPTABLE! Since many of
these quilts will be for children, all fabrics, embellishments, etc.
MUST be washable. If you feel the need to use a special fabric for a
certain effect, please e-mail me before purchasing.
If you applique your block, the entire applique must be stitched down
by either hand or by machine. If you would like to use a buttonhole
stitch, you must first sew the applique down securely and then you may
add a buttonhole stitch. If using fused applique, please make sure
that all edges are stitched down as well. This will prevent them from
lifting when the final quilts are washed. If edges are not turned
under, they may fray or lift. *I will not swap those blocks*. Only a
tight satin stitch may be used.
If you paper piece your block, please leave the paper on and be sure
to extend your stitching into and including the entire outer 1/4" seam
allowance. If you embellish your blocks, please be certain that any
embellishments or trims are sewn down SECURELY. Do not just glue or
tack your embellishment on your block, they must be sewn down. BLOCK
DESIGN: This is a design your own square swap. If you need help
e-mail me and I will see what I can do for you. Please clear the
design of your block with me BEFORE you begin sewing. To avoid major
duplications, you will need to let me know the subject of your block
and I will tell you whether or not someone else is already making that
particular thing. We want variety! Also, since this is the third
round of the swap, many of the most popular designs have been done
already - but there are tons more ideas out there! If you do not see
the idea you want to do on my list, please feel free to ask me about
it.
I have a list of possible blocks for those of you who want ideas.
(see bottom of page)

MAILING THE BLOCKS:

UK participants:
You must include a self-addressed stamped envelope (postage affixed)
large enough to return the blocks.

Non-UK participants:
Please enclose a self-addressed envelop!
DO NOT SEND METERED POSTAGE ON YOUR RETURN ENVELOPE.
Include two FQs for each set of 10 blocks sent to me.

Please write the total number of blocks, not sets, that you have
sent in on both your envelopes. Place each set of blocks in a separate
plastic zip-lock bag before placing them in the large flexible mailing
envelope.
Please make sure your blocks are the right size and that your blocks
are squared. Please iron blocks and trim threads from blocks before
sending. Please label each block you send in. The label must have
your e-mail address, your real name, and the town, state or country
where you live. DO NOT WRITE on the actual block with any type of pen
or pencil.
Due date: The swap will be exchanged on time. All blocks must
arrive at my house by September 1, 2005. The blocks will be swapped
and posted out to swap participants on or before September 15, 2005.
There will be no extensions of the deadline. If you have a busy
summer ahead, or have trouble meeting deadlines, please consider this
before you sign up. The Swap Hostess reserves the right to send back
blocks that are not properly constructed, that are the wrong size,
that are the wrong color, or that do not follow the guidelines in the
swap.

Please contact me if you have any questions:

Aragog - spider
Azkaban - prison
Badger - Hufflepuff mascot
Beauxbaton's Carriage
Blast-Ended Skewert
Boa constrictor
Boar hound - Hagrid's dog Fang
Boggart -shapeshifter to ones fears
Sir Cadogan - knight in portrait
Cats - Mrs. Norris scrawny dust colored w/ bulging lamplike eyes,
Crookshanks - Hermione's cat
Charms - various types
Chocolate frogs and other candies
Centaurs - man to the waist, horse below
Daily Prophet - newspaper
Dark Mark - sign of Voldemort
Death Eaters - Voldemort supporters
Dementor
Dumbledore half moon glasses, long crooked nose, flowing silver hair,
beard & moustache
Durmstrang's Sailing Ship
Eagle -" Ravenclaw's mascot
Fang - enormous black boarhound, Hagrid's dog
Fat Lady - portrait in pink silk dress
Floo powder -e.g. jar of glittery fabric in front of a fireplace
Fluffy - three headed dog
Gnome
Goblin from Gringott's
Grim, giant black dog death omen
Grindylow
Gringott's bank
Harry himself
Harry's scar (lightning bolt)
Hermione Granger
Hinkypunk
Hogwarts Express - scarlet engine
House Elves
King's Cross train station and/or Platform with 9 3/4....luggage cart
next to it
Knockturn Alley
Leaky Cauldron
Lion - Griffindor's mascot
Marauder's Map
Mandrake plant
Mirror of Erised - ornate gold frame standing on two clawed feet
Moaning Myrtle
Nearly Headless Nick
Peeves the poltergeist: little man with wicked dark eyes & a wide
mouth
Pidwidgeon - tiny owl
Phoenix bird
Pocket Sneakoscope
Pumpkin juice
Professor Flitwick - tiny little wizard standing on pile of books to
see over his desk
Quidditch cup
Quidditch player
Ron Weasley