Courthouse Steps vs Log cabin

Old September 10th 03, 06:40 PM
frood

Default Courthouse Steps vs Log cabin

I know these blocks are assembled in a similar fashion, but I haven't done
courthouse steps yet. Does it involve more planning for light/dark/color
placement? With LC, I can do half dark/half light blocks, then play with the
arrangement. The only CS blocks I've seen are very structured, with colors
or values from each block lining up with the neighboring blocks. How does it
look scrappy/random?

--
Wendy
de-fang email address to reply

Old September 10th 03, 07:00 PM
Roberta Zollner

Courthouse steps has the light and dark alternating instead of adjacent. So
if you match up light and dark sides in the finished layout, you get diamond
sort of shapes. It doesn't necessarily need more planning, unless you have
some plan to make your diamonds in different colors, instead of just
light/dark. It looks great in scraps! My favorite kind of quilt!

I did make one once with carefully planned color areas, and it wasn't that
hard. You just need a diagram so you know which colors go where.
Roberta in D, Queen of the Scrap Heap

om...

Old September 10th 03, 07:14 PM

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 20:00:29 +0200, "Roberta Zollner"
wrote:

Courthouse steps has the light and dark alternating instead of adjacent. So
if you match up light and dark sides in the finished layout, you get diamond
sort of shapes. It doesn't necessarily need more planning, unless you have
some plan to make your diamonds in different colors, instead of just
light/dark. It looks great in scraps! My favorite kind of quilt!

I did make one once with carefully planned color areas, and it wasn't that
hard. You just need a diagram so you know which colors go where.
Roberta in D, Queen of the Scrap Heap

One of the things you can do with Court house is use four different
colors. Nice effect, and like Roberta says, you can see four diamonds
when you finish. There is also a Court House Mania design where you
start with a large center square and add random width strips, cut into
four quarters and reassemble with various designs.
Anna Belle in Palm Bay (carefully watching Isabel)
. com...

Old September 10th 03, 07:37 PM
WHOLEYLADY

Susan Druding (http://quilting.about.com) is featuring the log cabin block on
her home page. Page 5 of the series
(http://quilting.about.com/library/0l..._logcabin5.htm) is all
about the courthouse step block.
This is one of my favorite sites: it's tied with Quilter's Cache.
Old September 10th 03, 08:26 PM
taria

There is a CS quilt on my webpage:
http://home1.gte.net/res0yk6g/taria/quilts.htm
about 2/3 of the way down. I won the blocks in a
block of the month drawing at my guild. Everyone
was given the muslin background and a center square
of red. Photo appears darker than the quilt but it
is really scrappy. The log cabin I want to do is
the one with the stars in the corner. If you want to
play with design I think a traditional LC would be
more fun.
Taria

frood wrote:

I know these blocks are assembled in a similar fashion, but I haven't done
courthouse steps yet. Does it involve more planning for light/dark/color
placement? With LC, I can do half dark/half light blocks, then play with the
arrangement. The only CS blocks I've seen are very structured, with colors
or values from each block lining up with the neighboring blocks. How does it
look scrappy/random?

--
Wendy
de-fang email address to reply

--
Please visit my web page at:
http://home1.gte.net/res0yk6g/taria/index.htm

See my Siberian Cat, Lilly, at:
http://home1.gte.net/res0yk6g/lillypage/lillycat.htm
Old September 10th 03, 08:34 PM
frood

OK, based on what I've seen so far (thanks, everyone!), I don't think CS is
right for the project I have in mind. It's just that the name I came up with
was so cool.... I was thinking of doing CS with Halloween prints, and
calling it Sleepy Hollow Courthouse. See, isn't that a great name? (when I
was an English major in school, I was always coming up with titles, then
trying to write stories to go with them. Sometimes the title was great, but
then no story... ) However, I have lots and lots of different prints, and
not a lot of any particular prints, so it would end up being very scrappy,
and I don't really want that look. I may file this idea away for future.

As for Log Cabin, I have plans for a Halloween one of those, too - Haunted
Cabin - and I want to do them wonky - on an angle. That is, make the blocks,
then cut them all with my square ruler at an angle. I'm still deciding if I
want black center blocks, or orange. I have a really cute black print with
little ghosts that would work, but I only have about an FE of that.

Oh, anybody know how to say "quilt" in Spanish?

Old September 10th 03, 10:29 PM
Patti

Hullo Wendy
I was just about to launch into a reply - thought I should read the
other answers!
The only thing I would like to add is that, even if Courthouse Steps
isn't right for this project, it is a very useful block in the Log Cabin
stable, because it can be made completely symmetrical - seams and all!
Log cabin can't. So, when you need symmetry, it might be just right.
It doesn't *have* to be regular and carefully laid out. I'm sure it
could be done with irregular logs as well - perhaps I'll have a look at
that? could be fun.
..
..
In article , frood
writes
I know these blocks are assembled in a similar fashion, but I haven't done
courthouse steps yet. Does it involve more planning for light/dark/color
placement? With LC, I can do half dark/half light blocks, then play with the
arrangement. The only CS blocks I've seen are very structured, with colors
or values from each block lining up with the neighboring blocks. How does it
look scrappy/random?

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old September 10th 03, 11:31 PM
Pat in Virginia

The best way to make it scrappy or random is to make up a bunch
of blocks with all your Batik strips, then send them to me. I
will put them together in random placement and send you a
picture.
PAT in VA/USA ... you have my address!

Old September 11th 03, 02:16 AM
Shona in NZ

oooo that was very good Pat!

Shona learning in NZ

Old September 11th 03, 03:09 AM
frood

I did see a scrappy Batik CS in that Australian magazine - Australian
Patchwork & Quilting, I think. It was really beautiful. Sure, I'll send you
a picture if I ever do it. No problem.

--
Wendy, who knows how to read creatively