Scissors

Old November 25th 07, 07:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

Default Scissors

I need some help from the experts! I have a Hardanger pattern to try
for a ring pillow (I'm giving myself lots of time!) but I don't have
an appropriate pair of scissors to do the cutting. I've been looking,
but I have no idea what to look for. Is there a particular brand that
I should look for, and what would be a reasonabe price to pay? I've
seen "embroidery scissors" priced anywhere from six to eighty dollars,
but the scissors themselves don't seem to be that different to me. Any
suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks very much!

Louisa
Old November 26th 07, 02:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

On Nov 26, 8:04 am, Cheryl Isaak wrote:
On 11/25/07 1:34 PM, in article
,

" wrote:
I need some help from the experts! I have a Hardanger pattern to try
for a ring pillow (I'm giving myself lots of time!) but I don't have
an appropriate pair of scissors to do the cutting. I've been looking,
but I have no idea what to look for. Is there a particular brand that
I should look for, and what would be a reasonabe price to pay? I've
seen "embroidery scissors" priced anywhere from six to eighty dollars,
but the scissors themselves don't seem to be that different to me. Any
suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks very much!

Louisa

You're going to laugh - my favorite scissors for Hardanger- a pair used to
snip stitches from when I cut my finger years ago. They were "extra fine" as
the stitches were tiny and used a lighter weight thread (to help me not scar
badly)...

Cheryl

It's amazing what tools we discover in unexpected places! This wasn't
your recent injury, was it?

Louisa
Old November 26th 07, 03:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 11/26/07 8:23 AM, in article
,

" wrote:
[...]

No - that was the first time I sliced my finger trying to prep my
contribution to Thanksgiving - the entire tip of my index finger. Not an
injury to have if your livelihood involves lots of keyboard work. I have
acquired more pairs since between all the stitches the kids and I have had.

Old November 26th 07, 07:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Tia Mary

wrote:
I need some help from the experts! I have a Hardanger pattern to try
for a ring pillow (I'm giving myself lots of time!) but I don't have
an appropriate pair of scissors to do the cutting. ...snip...
Louisa

I have Gingher embroidery scissors that were a gift from DD several
years ago -- bought with a 50% coupon at Joanns so that she could afford
them -- LOL! They are my second favourite pair for hardanger. I have
also used my Tres Claveles but I think my favourites are the ones that
were a Christmas gift from Brigitte, my friend who lives in Germany. I
can't for the life of me remember what the name of them is but it's
something I should remember and you guys will also recognize. It starts
with an S -- Solingen -- is that it? I know they are very, Very, VERY
expensive and I will ONLY use them when I am here at home. If I am off
somewhere and working on hardanger, then I use one of the others.
Anyway, if you can wrangle a coupon for Joanns and want to treat
yourself to a very nice pair of embroidery scissors that are well suited
to hardanger, then buy the Ginghers. Mostly, you need something with
very fine points and thin blades that are extremely sharp. CiaoMeow ^;;^

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ (RCTQ Queen of Kitties)
their whiskers!
Visit my Photo albums at
http://community.webshots.com/user/tiamary
Old November 27th 07, 02:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

On Nov 26, 2:03 pm, Tia Mary wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Thanks for your help everyone! I shall now commence shopping

Louisa

for my scissors janice142 Needlework 7 March 4th 07 08:40 AM
Scissors Pat P Needlework 11 April 14th 04 04:14 AM
scissors vashti Quilting 3 February 21st 04 03:12 PM
Scissors Derek Hartmann Quilting 2 February 20th 04 02:30 PM
scissors... SandySmth Quilting 3 August 11th 03 02:30 AM