Another LQS Closing

Old May 3rd 11, 03:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debbi[_2_]

Default Another LQS Closing

At one time, we had quite a few very nice LQS withing a short distance.
Leah's was sold several years ago when Leah became too ill to continue
running the stores. The lady who bought it changed the name to A Time
to Sew and moved the location. Within 2 years it closed (beginning of
this year). Material Possessions went into Chapter 11 and was bought
from the courts. The name changed to Sacred Moondance-- service not so
great. They sent an e-mail right after the first of the year that they
are looking for a buyer as the owner wants to move to Northern CA. If no
buyer is found the store will close in October when the lease expires.
Yesterday I got an e-mail that closing of inventory begins today and the
store officially closes on May 28. Tall Mouse moved to north county in
fall. Now we have one quilt store that does not specialize in quilts,
one sewing machine store that has a small fabric collection and TSWLTH.
Genny's is about 25 minutes north, as are other quilt shops, but
nothing close buy anymore.

Debbi in SO CA

Old May 3rd 11, 02:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

That stinks Debbi. There seems to be a lot in the north end of OC. I
wonder why a store can't make a go of it down south? Maybe someone will see
a void and jump in. I hope so. I never got to the one that took place of
MP. I suppose if M&L and Jenny's went under that would help?
Taria

Old May 3rd 11, 07:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

A good friend just returned from a vacation in Tucson, AZ and says not
a single quilt shop is open in that city of around a half-million
people. I suspect some shop is open somewhere, but in the part of town
where she stayed -- nothing. That is a sad state of affairs.

Sunny
Old May 4th 11, 01:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Maureen Wozniak

On Tue, 3 May 2011 13:21:45 -0500, Sunny wrote
(in article
):

A good friend just returned from a vacation in Tucson, AZ and says not
a single quilt shop is open in that city of around a half-million
people. I suspect some shop is open somewhere, but in the part of town
where she stayed -- nothing. That is a sad state of affairs.

Sunny

Sunny,

My parents have a vacation house in Vail, AZ. According to my Mom, there are
3 quilt shops in the Tucson area. I'm not sure exactly where they are
though. I'm looking forward to seeing them this summer when we visit.

Maureen

Old May 4th 11, 07:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
bvolman

I've been lurking here for many years. In the past many times a person would
post with the message that she was a new quilter and was looking for
information. That hasn't happened in a long time and I wonder if quilting is
in decline. Maybe that is why the shops are closing. The same thing is
happening here. Recently, the local Fabricland, comparable to Joanne's,
expanded its floor space and is selling a lot more material aimed at
quilters. However, the quality leaves something to be desired and the prices
are through the roof. I will keep driving right past their door and a half
hour down the road to get what I really want.
Larchie

Old May 4th 11, 08:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kay Ahr

I'm thinking maybe the proliferation of Yahoo groups and other social
networking groups has contributed to a decline here. There are forums
everywhere! The national quilters even have blogs where people can ask
questions. Wasn't RCTQ pretty much the only group back in the BBS days?
--
Kay Ahr in Reno/Sparks Nevada USA

Old May 4th 11, 08:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

I remember first being on an old Prodigy group a really long time ago. Dr.
Quilter asked me if there was a facebook group with the gang from here. She
can't find her way here. Is there? I signed up under protest when harassed
by a relative but didn't do any more than that.
Taria

Old May 5th 11, 08:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

IMO more and more people buy online. I'm guilty myself, although with
fabric prices here that are double or triple US prices, you must
forgive me.
Roberta in D

On Wed, 4 May 2011 11:53:42 -0700, "bvolman" wrote:

I've been lurking here for many years. In the past many times a person would
post with the message that she was a new quilter and was looking for
information. That hasn't happened in a long time and I wonder if quilting is
in decline. Maybe that is why the shops are closing. The same thing is
happening here. Recently, the local Fabricland, comparable to Joanne's,
expanded its floor space and is selling a lot more material aimed at
quilters. However, the quality leaves something to be desired and the prices
are through the roof. I will keep driving right past their door and a half
hour down the road to get what I really want.
Larchie
al-september.org...

Old May 5th 11, 06:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati, in Phx

Maureen, Please do let me know when you will be in Tucson, would love
a meet-up if there is an appropriate time.
Yes it is a 2 hr drive down, but I also have family there so all is
good.

Pati, in Phx

Old May 20th 11, 12:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
deschuit

On 5/3/2011 2:21 PM, Sunny wrote:
A good friend just returned from a vacation in Tucson, AZ and says not
a single quilt shop is open in that city of around a half-million
people. I suspect some shop is open somewhere, but in the part of town
where she stayed -- nothing. That is a sad state of affairs.

Sunny

I travel to Tucson every year to visit a friend and I love the quilt
shops there. There is Quilt Basket, Quilt Market, and Bella Quiltworks
all in the same part of Tucson and then there is Cactus Quilts in
another area.

I live in Manchester, NH - the largest city in the state and we don't
have a quilt shop in the city. We do have several quilt shops all
within one hour of us. Some in NH, some in ME, some in MA and a little
farther away but some in VT. All different, some great, some good and
some okay.

Kathy in NH

Closing Naomah[_3_] Needlework 2 October 20th 08 05:33 AM
LQS for sale/closing Julia in MN[_5_] Quilting 1 September 21st 08 06:00 PM
NAYY--LQS closing-down Auction in Milwaukee (Bay View Area), WI nzlstar* Quilting 0 July 17th 06 12:06 AM
LQS Closing Debbi Quilting 1 June 21st 06 03:01 PM
LQS closing Elizabeth Quilting 9 January 25th 04 05:14 PM