soldering snake chain

Old October 16th 05, 05:28 PM
slawdog

Default soldering snake chain

I am having a problem with the molten solder "wicking" up the links of snake
chain when I try solder clasps and other end fittings to the chain. This
happens with both gold and silver chain. I use paste solder in my work. Can
you help? Also, a great thank you to Peter Rowe for moderating this
newsgroup. A newbie like me couldn't ask for more. Doug S.

Old October 16th 05, 08:44 PM
William Black

"slawdog" wrote in message
I am having a problem with the molten solder "wicking" up the links of snake
chain when I try solder clasps and other end fittings to the chain. This
happens with both gold and silver chain. I use paste solder in my work. Can
you help? Also, a great thank you to Peter Rowe for moderating this
newsgroup. A newbie like me couldn't ask for more. Doug S.

----------------------

People usually use crimp endings for snake chain.

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old October 17th 05, 12:19 AM
Abrasha

slawdog wrote:
I am having a problem with the molten solder "wicking" up the links of snake
chain when I try solder clasps and other end fittings to the chain. This
happens with both gold and silver chain. I use paste solder in my work.Can
you help? Also, a great thank you to Peter Rowe for moderating this
newsgroup. A newbie like me couldn't ask for more. Doug S.

Use yellow ochre as a solder resists. "White out" also works well.

Don't use "crimp endings" as someone else suggested.

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com

Old October 17th 05, 05:21 AM
ne333ro

First I'd dump the paste solder and use the smallest piece of sheet
solder I could clip. Then I'd make sure I was drawing the solder away
from the chain (as much as you can and still make a good connection).
You can use a solder block of some kind, I prefer white out, but keep
in mind it tends to act as a bit of a heat sink also. I prefer not to
if at all possible.

Old October 18th 05, 02:38 AM
John

"slawdog" wrote in message
I am having a problem with the molten solder "wicking" up the links of snake
chain when I try solder clasps and other end fittings to the chain. This
happens with both gold and silver chain. I use paste solder in my work. Can
you help? Also, a great thank you to Peter Rowe for moderating this
newsgroup. A newbie like me couldn't ask for more. Doug S.

Use 'Hard' solder sheet, it won't run.

John

Old October 27th 05, 02:00 AM

White out? Please tell me , What kind of " white out" ?
Is that usual " white out" in stationary ? That is great , If it works
as yellow ochre.

Thank you in advance.

Yoshi.

Old October 27th 05, 04:19 PM
COPEWA

Try using powdered Rouge mixed with a little water-----Just paint
where you dont want the solder to flow
Colin

Old October 28th 05, 02:45 AM
ne333ro

White out? Please tell me , What kind of " white out" ?
Is that usual " white out" in stationary ? That is great , If it works
as yellow ochre.

Thats the same stuff. Cheap, works well, and easy to apply.

Old October 28th 05, 03:19 AM
Peter W.. Rowe,

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 18:45:37 -0700, in õ "ne333ro" wrote:

White out? Please tell me , What kind of " white out" ?
Is that usual " white out" in stationary ? That is great , If it works
as yellow ochre.

Thats the same stuff. Cheap, works well, and easy to apply.

There are two basic classes of "white out" and similar products. Many are quick
drying, based on a hydrocarbon solvent of various sorts. Others are water
based, instead of solvent based. You can tell the difference easily since the
solvent based ones have an odor as they dry.

The solvent based formulas are slightly different, and contain ingredients which
give off small amounts of somewhat toxic (possibly carcinogenic? I don'trecall
exactly) fumes when you then heat them as solder resists. Whether this is
significant or not will depend on how much you use, and how often. If this is a
very occasional need and the bottle of white out mostly just sits around,then
likely the exposure to the toxic stuff is small enough you might be able to
ignore it, especially if your shop has the sort of good ventillation it properly
should have in any case, given the various other toxic things that surround
soldering (fluix fumes, metal fumes, and more)

If you can find the water based formulas, though, they work just as well as a
solder resist, but do not give of noxious chemicals when heated.

Peter
Old October 28th 05, 04:49 PM
Carl

COPEWA wrote:

Try using powdered Rouge mixed with a little water-----Just paint
where you dont want the solder to flow
Colin

I use isopropyl alcohol, it dries faster. I mix it with the yellow ocher.

--
Carl West http://carl.west.home.comcast.net

change the 'DOT' to '.' to email me

"Clutter"? This is an object-rich environment.