fingerprints - like 'em or lump 'em?

Old October 6th 06, 01:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.polymer-clay
nanner

Default fingerprints - like 'em or lump 'em?

what's everyone's opinion on fingerprints on work? so far i am not a sanding
and polishing kind of gal, i don't think i'd like the finish on a figure if
i did that. How do your customers feel about it? Is it considered
unprofessional or sloppy to leave your mark, so to speak? I personally feel
it's an intimate medium and that it doesn't need to look perfectly untouched
in the end. i do try to smooth things as much as possible but so far I don't
get too concerned in that. maybe as i learn more and get better I will also
find that more important. i do want to show & sell my work so i want to know
what your experience has been with this and what level of finishing is
expected.

btw - i am mainly using Cernit which you know is not gooey like sculpey
thanks

Old October 6th 06, 03:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.polymer-clay
PenguinTrax

It really depends on the piece. If it is something very organic in
nature, I leave them alone, or smooth them over a bit to make them not
so obvious. For other things, I don't like them at all.

A great technique, especially if you dont' want to sand and buff later
and like a matte finish, is to smooth over fingerprints and dings using
a finger dipped in cornstarch.

Barb

Old October 6th 06, 04:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.polymer-clay
nanner

"PenguinTrax" wrote in message
oups.com...
It really depends on the piece. If it is something very organic in
nature, I leave them alone, or smooth them over a bit to make them not
so obvious. For other things, I don't like them at all.

A great technique, especially if you dont' want to sand and buff later
and like a matte finish, is to smooth over fingerprints and dings using
a finger dipped in cornstarch.

Barb

thank you, i will try that - what clay do you use it on? i'll try it with
the cernit. i have to make some sculpy accessories so i will try with that
too

Old October 6th 06, 07:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.polymer-clay
PenguinTrax

I used mostly Kato Polyclay now, but I still have a lot of Premo to use
up. I've been wanting to give Fimo classic a try, just to see what it
is like.

Old October 7th 06, 10:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.polymer-clay
[email protected]

nanner wrote:
what's everyone's opinion on fingerprints on work? so far i am not a sanding
and polishing kind of gal, i don't think i'd like the finish on a figure if
i did that. How do your customers feel about it? Is it considered
unprofessional or sloppy to leave your mark, so to speak? I personally feel
it's an intimate medium and that it doesn't need to look perfectly untouched
in the end. i do try to smooth things as much as possible but so far I don't
get too concerned in that. maybe as i learn more and get better I will also
find that more important. i do want to show & sell my work so i want to know
what your experience has been with this and what level of finishing is
expected.

btw - i am mainly using Cernit which you know is not gooey like sculpey
thanks

I dont know what the standards for sculpture are, but I sand my beads.
I wear snug-fitting gloves so that matte finish beads require minimal
sanding and I spend less time scrubbing my hands afterwards.

--
Lindsey
http://artwork-by-lindsey.blogspot.com

Old October 20th 06, 04:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.polymer-clay
D Curtis

I am in the depends on the piece group. For most things I want a matte
finish and fingerprints add to the piece. On others a super shiny finish
is right and I will work hard to avoid fingerprints and dings because I
dislike sanding so very much. I use fimo and preemo for most of my work.
Diana, who is very happy to see the polyclay group so active again
http://duet.etsy.com

OT = lump YarnWright Yarn 12 June 27th 06 09:14 PM
Hi! I'm new here and fingerprints... Barbara Rainbow mom of 2 Polymer Clay 6 August 9th 05 08:19 PM