"So Big" Virus/Worm (Possibly On Topic)

Old August 19th 03, 06:30 PM
Lucy Boyer

Default "So Big" Virus/Worm (Possibly On Topic)

This is just a heads up that the "So Big" worm seems to be running
crazy with it's fake emails/attachments. I've received dozens of them
in my inbox today, a lot of which were hijacked emails from stitching
websites. Again, these are fake emails -- I'm not suggesting that the
worm is originating from any stitcher or stitching site. They are
just among the unwitting victims. So rev up your virus scanners and
don't open any attachments.

::end public service annoucement::

Lucy Boyer
Cross Stitch Unlimited
Arlington, MA
http://www.stitchstash.com
Old August 19th 03, 07:08 PM
JAKL

I'm not suggesting that the
worm is originating from any stitcher or stitching site. They are
just among the unwitting victims. So rev up your virus scanners and
don't open any attachments.

Thank you for that reminder, Lucy!

Jenn L.
View My Webshots: http://community.webshots.com/user/jaliace
Current projects:
Chicago Skyline (The Needlecraftsman)
Lady of the Flag (Mirabilia)
Old August 25th 03, 09:24 PM
F.James Cripwell

I am not sure whether to be sorry for you or not. I presume you
thought you were getting something cheaper than buying the original, and
thereby bypassing copyright things. It didn't work, and you got caught.
Tough.
On the other hand, if you had come to rctn in the first place, we
would have told you about excellent ***FREE*** *completely supported*
software, which can be downloaded from http://www.dsv.su.se/~henrikbe/stitch
May I suggest you stop "crying in your beer", write off any money you paid
for the pirated software, and download Hendrik's software. You could also
post the URL for other "orphans" to use. HTH.

Chuck ) writes:
Many used copies of Origins Embroidery Software are currently being sold
on eBay and other Internet Sites. According to the Origins company, NO
used copy of Origins can be transferred to a new owner. 2nd hand owners
are not able to upgrade, unable to get any support at all, or access the
Online Website resources at Origins. It doesn't matter if you bought
Origins from a retailer a week ago for $1750 and decided you didn't like
it, and sold it to a friend; the new owner will get NO support.
(snip)
Agains, only if you purchase a brand new copy from an authorized retail
dealer's store, can you receive any support from Origins. The Origins
company has further said that authorized copies of Origins are not sold
over the Internet, but rather only at retail locations.

We are Origins Orphans!

Chuck

--
Jim Cripwell.
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of one's life, any
Old August 25th 03, 11:37 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

Well, Jim was a little more harsh than I expected, but I do understand
his point of view.

I have given away older copies of software, with full warranty, by
emailing the company (or calling) and getting permission. This way,
schools and other organizations have benefited.

So, if you're purchasing software that is "used", it's a good idea to
check FIRST with the software company to make certain they honor a
change of ownership. Many will - particularly if it is an older version
- but also even if it is new. You just have to check first.

So many people just don't realize all the ramifications, and it will
take awhile for everyone to become aware. It is the dawning of a new
time. I couldn't believe my ears when I heard a guest on NPR (from the
Wisconsin Consumer Protection Agency) today talking about how many
people are scammed by things like the Nigerian pleas, and a host of
other "obvious to me" scams. A LOT of people are just unaware. And
that includes many "legal" scams by credit card companies and other
legitimate companies. It's hard for even the law to catch up with some
of the shenanigans of legitimate business.

Dianne

Old October 27th 03, 01:02 PM
Warrior_13

DebM is correct. Most (99%) of the license agreements for software allow the
purchaser to transfer the license and software to anyone. That's like buying
a book and not being able to give it to someone else to read. Fair use is
included in copyright laws, it enables us, the buyer, to use it anyway we
want for our own personal use.
Companies that do such things as Origins is doing will suffer more in the
long run, as more people discover this, they will turn to the internet for
pirated software. And pricing software in the thousands of dollars for home
users is one good way to get a quick start on your software being stolen.
Good ol' American Greed!
Developers will start crying, R and D costs are up. So what? How many copies
of windows had to be sold to pay the R and D costs? Certainly not 6 billion.
How much profit is enough? The software company cannot stay in business
without customers, so if we continue to pay exhorbitant prices for it, they
will continue to charge us!
PS Registering software with the company who produced it is for the timid
and fearful. Read the manual, you won't need "support"!

"DebM" wrote in message
On 25 Aug 2003 20:24:59 GMT, (F.James
Cripwell) wrote:

I am not sure whether to be sorry for you or not. I presume you
thought you were getting something cheaper than buying the original, and
thereby bypassing copyright things. It didn't work, and you got caught.
Tough.

Actually, you can't assume they were trying to "bypass copyright
things". Many software titles allow the transfer of the original
license of software to a new user, providing the original owner is not
still using a copy, and transfers all original documentation, media
and removes it from his/her computer.

This is not universal by any means, and before buying any software
using this method, it is wise to check the License agreement terms
before making the sale.

--
Deb
Works in Progress:

Old October 28th 03, 03:05 PM
Beverly B

I have recently run across something new, not only is the software not
transferable to a new owner but it is not even transferable to a new
computer. In other words if I buy some software and install it today and my
computer crashes tomorrow then I can not transfer the software to my new
computer. So far the only thing I have seen this on is pre-installed
software on a new computer but I assume it is something other software
makers will try probably try as well.
In regard to the registering thing, some makers are setting it up so that
you can not use the product without registering it.
Beverly B

Old October 28th 03, 04:32 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

This may not be legal, but it is certainly something being tried, as in
DVD's. Big hoopla in Washington over this.

We, the ultimate consumers, either stop buying it, or we get taken.
It's in our hands. Of course, we have to be "aware" of the problem
first. Once aware . . . if we do nothing about it, we get what we deserve.

Dianne

Warrior_13 wrote in message

[...]

. ..

Cripwell) wrote:

[...]

AD, OT and On Topic - many posts in one! (long) Kandice Seeber Beads 33 July 11th 04 01:33 AM
Do Banner Ads Work? On topic. Lori Greenberg Beads 4 June 11th 04 12:22 AM
salvaging flux plus an off topic question or 2 Jerry Jewelry 3 December 28th 03 06:32 AM
New Topic SpeakEasy Rubberstamps 8 November 24th 03 10:23 PM
fun topic: needlework retreats... Stitch Lady Needlework 1 July 30th 03 04:23 PM