Need tape wiring help

Old August 23rd 04, 08:24 AM

Default Need tape wiring help

My question is, do you think it's feasible to get one of those cold
soldering irons I've seen advertised on television and solder my light
fixtures' wires to the tape. I figured I'd make a hole, tuck in the
bare wire and solder it shut. What to you think?

Kay

Old August 24th 04, 10:35 AM
Carol

wrote in message

My question is, do you think it's feasible to get one of those cold
soldering irons I've seen advertised on television and solder my light
fixtures' wires to the tape. I figured I'd make a hole, tuck in the
bare wire and solder it shut. What to you think?

Kay

In my humble opinion you're asking for trouble as it may be difficult to
make good connections and the wire could easily break.
You have 2 other options.
1)grommets. Make a hole in the tapewire so that the grommet will fit
snugly, put the grommet in halfway, wrap the lamp wire around the grommet
and push the grommet all the way in.
2)receptacles. Put in the receptacle, put a small plug on the lamp, plug
in. You can plug in 2 lamps in one receptacle. Most expensive method.

Carol
S P Miniatures
http://www.spminiatures.com

Old August 25th 04, 08:37 AM

Thanks Carol, for your response. I've been having trouble with both of
these methods. Some times the lights work and sometimes they just go
out for no apparent reason. Sometimes, If I rub the tape with my
fingers the lights with turn back on, sometimes not. I've lifted the
wall covering around the connection spots to try to figure out a
_permanent_ fix, but all I can come up with is using solder.

If anyone has any better ideas I'd appreciate hearing them.

Kay

Old August 25th 04, 12:16 PM
Carol

wrote in message
Thanks Carol, for your response. I've been having trouble with both of
these methods. Some times the lights work and sometimes they just go
out for no apparent reason. Sometimes, If I rub the tape with my
fingers the lights with turn back on, sometimes not. I've lifted the
wall covering around the connection spots to try to figure out a
_permanent_ fix, but all I can come up with is using solder.

If anyone has any better ideas I'd appreciate hearing them.

Kay

The outlets have to be in very tight and I have a few problems with them.
If all the lights are going out at once then your transformer connection is
loose. Or you may have a loose connection if you have spliced the tape. Use
4 brads, 2 on each side running in a diagonal for splices.

Carol
S P Miniatures
http://www.spminiatures.com

Old August 25th 04, 10:52 PM
Gerald Miller

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 07:16:21 -0400, "Carol"
wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

I spoke with the rep from Cir-Kit at a trade show in NY in'93 and he
suggested that as an added integrity measure, one could use a low
wattage iron to heat the head of the brad and apply "radio solder" to
permanently establish continuity in the circuit. "Radio solder" is the
solder used in all electronics work and has a non corrosive flux -
should you use a corrosive flux, you will end up in worse shape than
without soldering as the flux will eat away the small amount of copper
in the area of the joint.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Old August 26th 04, 12:17 PM

Thank you! That's the best news I've had in a long time. I'm going to
fly right out and get the proper solder and the tool.

Kay