OT OOOOOO empty place

Old September 7th 06, 06:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Default OT OOOOOO empty place

I see that i answered Wooly privately and it came back to me [?]
while Hesira`s didn`t come back ,,, so Good to see you all here ...
Wooly, Hesira , Georgia , Noreen ,,,, mirjam

Old September 7th 06, 12:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
'Nez

I'm knitting, but the
hypothyroidism is slowing me down considerably. I need to make a note
to ask the doc if hypothyroidism affects fine motor coordination or if
I need to be looking for a different cause for this...

+++++++++++++

As one who has fought this battle with countless doctors over the last
46 years, I can tell you that hypothyroidism does indeed affect fine
motor coordination and every other aspect of trying to live a normal
life and function the way you should be able to. I've been fighting
with various doctors since 1948 when I was first diagnosed with it and
pretty near all of them don't consider that if your thyroid isn't
working right, you cannot live a normal life and function the way you
should. Due to lack of transportation, I had to quit going 50 miles
away from home and depend on our first aid clinic here in town. Since
I now have transportation, I just got thru firing one more doctor and
going back to the one who listens. Frances

Old September 7th 06, 12:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
BB

Thanks to you Mirjam, it is no longer empty

I found a wonderful LYS over the weekend. I've previously had ok or bad
feelings about stores, but I left this one smiling and laughing. It was
packed with people and they were having a great sale on their summer
type yarns. I went there looking for some wool (not on sale) but ended
up buying a bunch of Elite Flash in 4 different colors. I love the way
it looks and feels, but it's not so much fun working with. One of these
days I'll remember I don't like working with all cotton anymore....

But I'm excited to go back there sometime on a normal day and see if the
store is as much fun as it was that day

BB

This Ng is Empty ?
mirjam

Old September 7th 06, 01:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Wooly

On 7 Sep 2006 04:31:00 -0700, "'Nez" spewed forth
:

I have a good endo. She treats symptoms and doesn't hesitate to
justify doing so to my insurance company when they question the
labwork versus the treatment. I'm in good hands

+++++++++++++

Reply to the list as I do not publish an email address to USENET.
This practice has cut my spam by more than 95%.
Of course, I did have to abandon a perfectly good email account...
Old September 7th 06, 02:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
hesira

Hi Wooly,

I'm thinking about you. Glad you have a good endocrinologist who'll
treat you right. I'm staring down the same barrel, but it hasn't
happened yet. Do you mind if I ask how long you've been hypo, and what
treatment you are taking? I thought that once you were on synthetic
thyroid hormone, things got so much better.

Here's hoping,

Hesira

Old September 7th 06, 02:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Wooly

On 7 Sep 2006 06:20:23 -0700, "hesira" spewed
forth :

Hi Wooly,

I'm thinking about you. Glad you have a good endocrinologist who'll
treat you right. I'm staring down the same barrel, but it hasn't
happened yet. Do you mind if I ask how long you've been hypo, and what
treatment you are taking? I thought that once you were on synthetic
thyroid hormone, things got so much better.

I had RAI in early May after a year of increasingly severe
hyperthyroidism with an enlarging thyroid and "overnight" elevated
antibodies. In short: Graves'. My post-RAI period wasn't fun because
I was in what amounted to thyroid storm for nearly two months while my
thyroid died. That resolved itself, I got off the beta blockers and
felt good for most of July, then started exhibiting hypothyroid
symptoms in early August.

I reported two weeks ago to my doc, who agreed that I was becoming
hypothyroid. She started me on 50mcg of Synthroid, which she upped to
100mcg as of yesterday when I reported worsening of symptoms to
include slurred speech and loss of fine motor control and balance
problems (known hypothyroid symptoms).

The stuff does take time to start working, and finding the optimal
dose can be a challenge and a frustration, though I'm not frustrated
*yet* I'm hoping I get back my wits and my fingers first, but I can
be patient. I suppose if I'm still having the FORGET STUFF and BLAH
issues in a month she will consider adding one of the T3 replacements.
Not everybody can process Synthroid into T3, it seems, but I have no
evidence that I fall into this category.

So we shall see.

+++++++++++++

Old September 7th 06, 03:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
hesira

Yikes! I"ve got Graves, too. I had RAI about a month ago, and didn't
have a storm. I felt a little worse for a while, but nothing I
couldn't handle. I've been feeling great for several weeks, but I'm
starting to slow down a little. I'm hoping the hypo won't be too bad,
and I can continue to function, but nobody said anything about slurred
speech or loss of fine motor control. I have a friend who just flew
through her Graves, after treatment of course. I guess everyone is
different.

I hope you get your dosage worked out soon. What a terrible drag.
I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Hesira

Old September 7th 06, 03:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
coggietm

This Ng is Empty ?
mirjam

I check in as I can , but really don't have much to talk about. I'm
busy teaching knitting and crochet as well as going to college full
time.
I have socks and two sweaters going for Christmas presents as well as a
sweater and a stadium blanket that have have been commissioned.
Yours in Yarn,
Coggie

Old September 7th 06, 04:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Shillelagh

Default OT Thyroid discussion

"hesira" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi Wooly,

I'm thinking about you. Glad you have a good endocrinologist who'll
treat you right. I'm staring down the same barrel, but it hasn't
happened yet. Do you mind if I ask how long you've been hypo, and what
treatment you are taking? I thought that once you were on synthetic
thyroid hormone, things got so much better.

Here's hoping,

Hesira

I didn't realize how scary hypo is until I read your & Wooly's posts. My
symptoms were very mild (I think). 5 years ago I was trying very hard to
lose some weight. Lost 30 lbs, and then nothing. It didn't matter what I
did or ate, I was stuck. And this was no normal plateau. I was at the
doc's office for a check up or something and complained bitterly about the
stop in the weight loss. He sent me for blood tests and phoned me to tell
me I had it. I didn't have the fatigue and most of the other symptoms. I
was amazed - I had no clue. It took a while to regulate the dose of
thyroxin that I take (100 mcg). As I read the symptoms list, I realize that
I also have trouble concentrating, especially for reading a book - which I
used to love to do. I put that down to my age (I'm not getting any
younger). I guess my weight isn't the only reason for elevated cholesterol
and triglyceride levels. Bleah. So I'm on a statin for that. Double
bleah. My mom had hypo too, and I didn't know it until my sister informed
me when I first found out about having it.

As for the thyroxine, I take it because the doctor said I had to. I haven't
noticed one bit of difference in the way I feel. Go figure.

Hang in there my knitting friends. I hope all goes well with your health.

Shelagh

Old September 7th 06, 09:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Wooly

On 7 Sep 2006 07:32:21 -0700, "hesira" spewed
forth :

Yikes! I"ve got Graves, too. I had RAI about a month ago, and didn't
have a storm. I felt a little worse for a while, but nothing I
couldn't handle. I've been feeling great for several weeks, but I'm
starting to slow down a little. I'm hoping the hypo won't be too bad,
and I can continue to function, but nobody said anything about slurred
speech or loss of fine motor control. I have a friend who just flew
through her Graves, after treatment of course. I guess everyone is
different.

If you're starting to slow down now is the time to ask your doc to
start you on replacement therapy, not in a month or two when you're
having the speech and coordination problems.

I knew that 50mcg wasn't going to be adequate, my doc knew it too.
Based on my current weight I'm thinking 100mcg ought to be adequate
once it kicks in, then I may be able to drop the dose slightly as I
start losing weight again. But we'll see; when I was slightly
hyperthyroid I felt fabulous and had plenty of energy, so I may need
to bump up to 125mcg or more before I start feeling "fabulous" again,
then gradually reduce the dose as I'm able to start losing weight
again.

I hope you get your dosage worked out soon. What a terrible drag.
I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Thanks, and same to you