So, here's the (hopefully) next topic of debate

Old January 25th 06, 05:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry

Default So, here's the (hopefully) next topic of debate

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 06:10:54 GMT, "m3rma1d"
wrote:

What does everyone think about the fact that making jewelry is now becoming
almost as trendy among bored housewives & the like as scrapbooking, and more
& more n00bs each year are showing up in Tucson in Feb. with no CLUE what
they're stepping into?

I think it will die down just like cross-stitch did.
--
Marilee J. Layman
http://www.livejournal.com/users/mjlayman

Old January 25th 06, 05:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry

[Sorry, this doesn't "**** me off". I welcome the fact that people are
entering the field in whatever capacity, even bored housewives (a vanishing
species hereabouts). After all, who is better prepared to appreciate real
artistry than those who have tried it themselves? How many people would
watch baseball, if they had never tried playing it? It takes having triedto
make that amazing catch (pun intended) to understand what's gone into it.In
an era when even educated people have little or no conception of how the
things that surround them are made, the fact that some people are beginning
to experience the satisfaction (and frustration) of making things by handis
an encouraging sign. I don't think they'll take over a significant portion
of the market from the real pros, and they may well add to the pool of those
who are equipped to understand what goes into one of our miniature
masterpieces.]

Andrew Werby
www.unitedartworks.com

"m3rma1d" wrote in message
What does everyone think about the fact that making jewelry is now becoming
almost as trendy among bored housewives & the like as scrapbooking, and more
& more n00bs each year are showing up in Tucson in Feb. with no CLUE what
they're stepping into?

I've never been to Tucson, but I regretfully decided I won't be going
anytime soon (prolly a few years until this fad passes) for fear of blending
in with a mush-head like this*:
http://www.artjewelrymag.com/art/com...=149661#149661

As you'll see I tried to warn them but.... I felt it was a waste of time to
even bother.

Good god.

Discuss! Please? I'd especially love to hear from some of the "seasoned
veterans" who're ****ed off about all this. What can I say, I love ****ed
off people 3

*And I don't mean to spout off such a personal attack on them really, it's
more an attack on the ignorance as a whole... Maybe I'm a snob, but I guess
I can live with that.

-- m3rma1d
--
To reply in email, carefully remove my panties.
www.creativespill.com (Now over a year without updates!)

Old January 25th 06, 05:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry

Jeeeeeez, people. I'm a ****ing n00b TOO!

Get over it!

I wasn't saying no one had talent from being new, just wondering what some
of the NON-n00bs thought of our invasion, KHRYST!

-- m3rma1d

Old January 25th 06, 05:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry

Abrasha wrote:

Don't worry too much about the bored housewives in Tucson. They won't
have the credentials to even be admitted in any of the major shows
there. Nobody will let them in without proper credentials. They will
be welcome at any of the many sideshows all over town.

snip

Abrasha, yer the only person who even answered my real questions.
Could you BE any more perfect?? 3

I regretfully decided I won't be going
anytime soon (prolly a few years until this fad passes) for fear of
blending
in.......

Too bad, I would have liked to have met you there.

OK I'LL GO, I'LL GO--YOU TWISTED MY ARM!!!
Prolly not till next year though, 'cos of the whole time-crunch thing now.

DAMN, I shoula posted this months ago...... ARGH!
:-)

-- m3rma1d

Old January 25th 06, 05:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry

Abrasha wrote in
:

- A letter from an AGTA member indicating that they are their
wholesale client.

Will a similar letter from a MJSA member serve?

--
Saint Séimí mac Liam
Carriagemaker to the court of Queen Maeve

Old January 25th 06, 05:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry

wrote:

What does everyone think about the fact that making jewelry is now becoming
almost as trendy among bored housewives & the like as scrapbooking, and more
& more n00bs each year are showing up in Tucson in Feb. with no CLUE what
they're stepping into?

I've never been to Tucson, but I regretfully decided I won't be going
anytime soon (prolly a few years until this fad passes) for fear of blending
in with a mush-head like this*:
http://www.artjewelrymag.com/art/com...=149661#149661

As you'll see I tried to warn them but.... I felt it was a waste of timeto
even bother.

Good god.

Discuss! Please? I'd especially love to hear from some of the "seasoned
veterans" who're ****ed off about all this. What can I say, I love ****ed
off people 3

I guess I wouldn't describe my feeling as ****ed off. There's
certainly some wonderment at the number of beady folks nowadays, and a
strong desire to avoid any contact with them. Fortunately, they're
relatively easy to avoid, so please don't give up on Tucson on their
account.

I'll definitely spend at least a couple of days in Tucson this year. I
love to go and look, and occasionally I even buy something from a
dealer who's new and doesn't know he's supposed to triple his usual
prices g. In general, though, I only buy rough, hand specimens,
supplies, and such, and my motto is "Go to Tucson to look, and
Quartzsite to buy."

*And I don't mean to spout off such a personal attack on them really, it's
more an attack on the ignorance as a whole... Maybe I'm a snob, but I guess
I can live with that.

-- m3rma1d

--
Al Balmer
Sun City, AZ

Old January 25th 06, 06:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry

Séimí mac Liam wrote:
Abrasha wrote in
:

- A letter from an AGTA member indicating that they are their
wholesale client.

Will a similar letter from a MJSA member serve?

Probably not, but you could call the AGTA and ask them.

--
Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com

Old January 25th 06, 07:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry

"Marilee J. Layman" wrote in
:

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 09:42:31 GMT, HareBall
wrote:

"m3rma1d" wrote in
m:

What does everyone think about the fact that making jewelry is now
becoming almost as trendy among bored housewives & the like as
scrapbooking, and more & more n00bs each year are showing up in Tucson
in Feb. with no CLUE what they're stepping into?

I'll step into this. Many a bored housewife are probably as talented, if

not more so, than you or anyone else on this group.

I strongly disagree with this. I'm active in some beading/jewelry
forums and I can tell you that the average newbie to jewelry is not
very talented.

I didn't say the average, I said some.

--
Larry S.
TS 52

Old January 25th 06, 07:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry

"Marilee J. Layman" wrote in
:

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 09:42:31 GMT, HareBall
wrote:

"m3rma1d" wrote in
m:

What does everyone think about the fact that making jewelry is now
becoming almost as trendy among bored housewives & the like as
scrapbooking, and more & more n00bs each year are showing up in Tucson
in Feb. with no CLUE what they're stepping into?

I'll step into this. Many a bored housewife are probably as talented, if

not more so, than you or anyone else on this group.

I strongly disagree with this. I'm active in some beading/jewelry
forums and I can tell you that the average newbie to jewelry is not
very talented.

To add to my last post. What does being bored have to do with having
talent. By definition talent is an inherant ability to do something. It has
nothing to do with actually using it.

--
Larry S.
TS 52

Old January 26th 06, 04:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry

Kendall Davies wrote

For what its worth I liked the chains in the 'new' section but I'm not sure
that the soldering on the end caps couldn't have been done better.

They're a ****ty pair of end caps, and that's 'cos they were the very first
pair I made more than a year ago now. I'm too BUSY WORKING on new stuff to
take new PICS of stuff all the time as I get better at it. Hence WHY my
webpages are so negleccted, and WHY I put the disclaimers with the links.
(HELLO!?)
I am working on a tutorial for making the end caps for some folks who wanted
to know (Which feels fat-headded to say, but you'll have to take it up with
the folks who wanted it, I suppose)

Serious question - Why do so you hate newbies so much?

I really DON'T, for, if you'd read my other post, I AM a newbie as well
(well, I've been playing in beads since I was 7 or 8, so about 20 years
now... but as far as metalsmithing goes, only about 2 & 1/2 years.)

What I hate, I suppose, is newbies who just don't even TRY to find things
out for themselves before asking the same tired questions that can be
brought up in google or a good book in less than a second's time.

What I haste worse than that is newbies who are so ****ing scared to ****
something up, they just want to ask and discuss it, and simply won't allow
themselves to DIVE IN HEAD FIRST, **** SOMETHING UP, AND TEACH THEMSELVES
SOMETHING.

It's the best way to learn... I'm SO proud of my scrap pile, which some
people don't understand. I see it as a 3 pound box of very valuble lessons
learned.

(I really should send it for refining, though :-P)

Yes, I'm a n00b. And I teach myself everything. B.F.D. It's not so hard to
do it quietly, thoughtfully, and respectfully.

-- m3rma1d
--
To reply in email, carefully remove my panties.
www.creativespill.com (Now over a year without updates!)
www.creativespill.com/a_few_new/pieces.html (They were new.. 10+ months
ago!)

Posting ON Topic threads Tia Mary Quilting 0 October 22nd 05 08:44 PM
Not entirely off topic Louise Quilting 5 May 30th 04 02:07 PM
Gentle reminder - mark Off Topic messages OT Barbara Hass Needlework 7 May 15th 04 04:38 PM
Good Idea? (on topic ramblings) Karlee in Kansas Quilting 4 December 11th 03 09:44 AM
Off Topic Turns On Topic & Fabric Shopping Lisa Ellis Quilting 0 September 9th 03 01:30 AM