Ireland trip

Old October 14th 03, 11:46 AM
Jandra818

Default Ireland trip

I am a beginning knitter who has been lurking on the newsgroup for a couple of
months learning a lot from all you helpful people. I'm leaving for Dublin on
Sunday on a short 9-day tour; will also staying in Waterford, Killarney, and
Ennis before returning from Shannon airport. I have a listing of the yarn
shoppes' locations in the places we will be visiting but, of course, am not
certain that there will be time on the tour to visit ANY of them. Does anyone
have any personal suggestions? I have been told that yarn is more pricey in
Ireland than it is here in the States (I'm in Illinois near Chicago). I am not
yet familiar with the name brands, origins, and weights, but am getting more
knowledgeable with the help of knitting friends, the internet (I have tens of
sites bookmarked) and this newsgroup. Frankly, any help whatsoever as to what
to look for would be appreciated. jan in Arlington Heights
Old October 14th 03, 01:09 PM
Janise Ross

Jan,
Sorry I do not have any information for you. :-( But, I did want to
welcome you to the group and wish you a wonderful trip! Come back and
report to us when you return. We look forward to hearing from you again.

Janise, in Pittsford, NY

Old October 14th 03, 02:32 PM
Noreen's Knit*che

"SlinkyToy" wrote in message
If you're in County Cork and have time, stop at the Carraig Donn shop.
Try to arrange shipping for "a hank" of yarn (or more) back to your
home. Excellent quality yarn on the cheap.

Slinky, do they have a website?
Noreen

---

Old October 14th 03, 02:34 PM
Noreen's Knit*che

"Jandra818" wrote in message
[...]

Jan, can't help a bit with the Ireland trip, but wanted to welcome you to
this great group and say how glad we are that you've delurked.
I was born and raised in the Ashburn neighborhood of Chicago... southwest
side, 6 blocks north of Evergreen Park and Oaklawn.
Hugs,
Noreen
PS.. have a GREAT trip and DO report back to us!!

---

Old October 14th 03, 04:55 PM
Agres

The site is currently under construction and
will be relaunched in the near future.

Very nice stuff, but their old site did not list yarn, just finished goods.

Aaron

Old October 14th 03, 05:33 PM
Noreen's Knit*che

"Agres" wrote in message
The site is currently under construction and
will be relaunched in the near future.

Very nice stuff, but their old site did not list yarn, just finished

goods.

Aaron

Thanks, Aaron!
I'll keep checking... their site shouldn't take TOO long to reconstruct!
Noreen

---

Old October 14th 03, 06:36 PM
SlinkyToy

You have to know people in low places

Old October 14th 03, 06:53 PM
Aud

As Ireland is mentioned, I just wakened ,
I have been there twice, and love to be there.

In my youth I dreamed about living in a
little white stone house in Connemara,( :-)),
with a couple of sheep and my weave!!!
Romance! I don't know what I should get money from...
I recon I thought I would produce more than enough
and of course sell every bit of it!!

I tried to find a Site for Carraig Donn ,
and after a bit trying, I found this one
http://www.irishknitwearonline.com/
Am I on right track, Slinky?
AUD ;-))

--

"SlinkyToy" skrev i melding

Old October 14th 03, 07:39 PM
SlinkyToy

I believe that is their commercial (ie, wholesale) branch. The retail
website that sells all things Irish from leaded crystal to gorgeous
hand-made pewter to scrummy sweaters is indeed down right now.

I've emailed my contact there to enquire about yarn sales, as it was a
couple of years ago that I engaged in SEX with Carraig Donn...I'm
knitting up the Aran sweater I mention here occasionally with Carraig
Donn heavy worsted.