designs that make my heart go pitter patter (warning...long musings,I got kinda lost in it!)

Old October 28th 03, 09:44 PM
Susan Hartman/Dirty Linen

Default designs that make my heart go pitter patter (warning...long musings,I got kinda lost in it!)

Anybody else having the same problem I am? I can't really categorize
what appeals to me...it's like pornography. Can't define it, but I sure
know it when I see it!

I like *some* fantasy, but not all; some primitive designs, but not all;
some samplers, but not most; things with a strong geometric component
hold appeal (band samplers, Hardanger, TW borders). I'm not into
landscapes or "cutesy" country stuff (except very occasionally, when I'm
just captured by an original take on a design and particularly if it
puts me in mind of a particular individual I'd like to stitch it for.) I
like to occasionally combine techniques, like cross stitch and Hardanger
together or surface embroidery and Hardanger together. I'm not thrilled
by beads and charms and buttons -- I'm a thread and fabric girl. I do
like some nature designs, and the more "natural" (i.e. realistic, not
cutesy) the better, i.e., Dimples Designs ladybug or TW's Tapestry Cat).
And I like hearts, in general.

And plenty of things make my heart pitter-patter that I don't *have to*
stitch for myself...just having them in my stash and fondling them
occasionally is enough. Maybe it's just feeding the dream of not having
other responsibilities that cut into stitching time (like a job, and a
family, LOL!) Or sometimes I love it on account of giving it to someone
special - there are things I'd enjoy stitching but I wouldn't display it
in my own house.

Favorite stash that makes my heart go pitter pat: things that I'm
looking forward to stitching someday (not yet in progress), but what
still call to me. These are things I may never even get around to
stitching, but just thinking about them and planning them/fantasizing
and visiting with them is enough for now:

Emie Bishop's Garden http://www.crossnpatch.com/the_garden_2.html
TW's tea scene http://www.twdesignworks.com/Designs/ts.html
MLI's Celic Sampler http://www.tiag.com/designs/BR-14.html (at least
pieces of it, some motifs, maybe not the whole design as charted. I also
think about turning this sideways and doing a long narrow piece to frame
and hang over the wide entryway between the living room and the dining
room))
MLI's Celtic Christmas
MLI's Angel of Freedom http://www.tiag.com/designs/LL-10.html
TW's "stretch the dragon" freebie
Mary Englebreit's teapot designs from her "seasons" book"

Upon reflection, I see I'm an all-or-nothing person. I like lots of
shading and depth and realism or else none at all (primitive designs). I
don't even look twice at unsophistitcated designs with very blatant
shading that are heavily reliant on obvious (black) backstitch.

And beyond those styles of stitching, I bought some *gorgeous* batiks
for quilting this weekend....center panels with stylized designs, to
"frame" in bright prints...lots of TEXTURE.

(a long answer to a question that appears simple, but obviously isn't!)
Sue

--
Susan Hartman/Dirty Linen
The Magazine of Folk and World Music

Old October 28th 03, 10:27 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

Susan Hartman/Dirty Linen wrote:

Emie Bishop's Garden http://www.crossnpatch.com/the_garden_2.html

Oh my gosh: Are those flowers in cross stitch? What a gorgeous design.

TW's tea scene http://www.twdesignworks.com/Designs/ts.html

Who could resist! At 28-count, allows for lots of detail.

MLI's Celic Sampler http://www.tiag.com/designs/BR-14.html

I could leave that one on the shelf, but I know many who love celtic
designs.

Upon reflection, I see I'm an all-or-nothing person. I like lots of
shading and depth and realism or else none at all (primitive designs). I
don't even look twice at unsophistitcated designs with very blatant
shading that are heavily reliant on obvious (black) backstitch.

I understand this. Also how I feel.

And beyond those styles of stitching, I bought some *gorgeous* batiks
for quilting this weekend....center panels with stylized designs, to
"frame" in bright prints...lots of TEXTURE.

(a long answer to a question that appears simple, but obviously isn't!)

I think the links have been worth this conversation!

Dianne

Old October 28th 03, 11:25 PM
Joan Erickson

Dianne Lewandowski wrote:

Susan Hartman/Dirty Linen wrote:

Emie Bishop's Garden http://www.crossnpatch.com/the_garden_2.html

Oh my gosh: Are those flowers in cross stitch? What a gorgeous design.

See, now this one didn't do anything for me! Maybe it's the fabric
color (I really dislike kakhi-type colors). Had it been done on a light
blue, lavender, pink or even a shade of white it might catch my eye more.
In an old JCS there was a pattern I had passed over, not really even
looking at it because it was on "natural" linen. A few years later when
looking for something else I ran across it and actually *read* the poem
on it and knew I had to do it for my parents. Here's a link for you:
http://www.calicocrossroads.com/data...tail.CFM?ID=17
I changed the wording, "To my parents", did it on a light green linen
and used metallic gold for the 1200+ smyrna stitches (yes, I counted
them!) surrounding the flowers. I*M*HO it was *much* more attractive
than on that drab background! If you'd like I could have DS take a pic
and email it to you. BTW, I won reserve champion in the needlework
division at the county fair with it!

TW's tea scene http://www.twdesignworks.com/Designs/ts.html

Who could resist! At 28-count, allows for lots of detail.

Me! Teacups are another "not my cup of tea" designs. Except for
"Tempest in a teacup"--he's just plain *cute*!
http://www.twdesignworks.com/Free/tempest_l.html

MLI's Celic Sampler http://www.tiag.com/designs/BR-14.html

I could leave that one on the shelf, but I know many who love celtic
designs.

Not the least interested.

I think the links have been worth this conversation!

Definitely helps! Here are links to designs that I mentioned in my
Fire & Ice: http://www.kustomkrafts.net/slo001info.htm

Heirloom Christmas Sampler:
http://www.victoriasampler.com/Catal...mChristmas.asp

Sweet Pea Gazebo Sampler:
http://www.victoriasampler.com/Catal...38SweetPea.asp

From Lesa Steele:
http://lesasteeledesigns.com/designs...ze/lsm-001.jpg
http://www.stitch-by-stitch.com/Prod...ngmeadowLg.jpg

From Permin of Copenhagen:
http://www.abcstitch.com/images/chri...0in%20town.jpg

--
Joan

See my first-ever design he
http://www.heritageshoppe.com/joan.jpg

"Stitch when you are young and poor, frame when you are old and rich."
- Elizabeth's (rctn'r) sister's MIL (Barbara Marr)

Old October 29th 03, 01:26 AM
Bungadora

This is hard. I tend towards a limited color range: blues, purples, pinks. Bias
towards florals, Arts and Crafts inspired designs. I like having some variety
in techniques and learning new skills. I don't do many framed pieces. I like
pillows, tablecloths, gifts for others.

I'm not very fond of fantasy subjects or very sentimental designsr.

Dora

Old October 29th 03, 01:37 AM
Elizabeth Fusina

Susan Hartman/Dirty Linen wrote:

And beyond those styles of stitching, I bought some *gorgeous* batiks
for quilting this weekend....center panels with stylized designs, to
"frame" in bright prints...lots of TEXTURE.

Oooh, I just got two batik panels a couple weeks ago at Mum's quilt
guild show. A dragon and a pair of birds. I want to "frame" the dragon
with fabric, and then quilt and embellish him with beads, sequins, and
other stuff. The woman who was selling them had a long dragon that was
beaded wonderfully. I am thinking of using the birds as a back panel for
a duster jacket. The current plan with the dragon is to hang him next to
TW's Castle and Dragon.

I like lots of texture, and just took an embroidery workshop for crewel
embroidery. I have not yet finished the class piece, but have started an
original piece already. Have you ever had the experience that you had
designed something, but didn't know it? I have been designing a crewel
piece for ages, based on the textures of different varieties of trees,
and once I had the technique to accomplish it...well. I started it this
morning, and so far, so good.

Other than that, it is more the design that appeals than the colors, as
I change colors with wild abandon, to the extent that friends get me to
change colors for them when they aren't happy with the designer picks.
(Except for TWs, which I would not even know where to start to change
anything, but even then I would probably change the colors if I was
really unhappy with them.)

Designs that I really like include Just Nan's samplers (except for her
color palette), most of TW's fantasy designs and samplers, floral
pictures, landscapes except for Kinkade's, and cats. I have lots of
different cat designs.

Elizabeth
Old October 29th 03, 02:14 AM
Jenn Liace

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 16:44:35 -0500, Susan Hartman/Dirty Linen
wrote:

Anybody else having the same problem I am? I can't really categorize
what appeals to me...it's like pornography. Can't define it, but I sure
know it when I see it!

Bingo!!!!!!!!! And I don't even like all of various categories that I
do like.

I'm currently on a Just Nan kick. I like a lot of her band samplers,
some of the verse samplers, but I do not like reproduction or what I
call alphabet samplers. (maybe there's a real term for the ones that
incorporate alphabet and number series into their designs). If I see
an alpha sampler that the rest of the design really calls to me, I'll
look closely at it and see if I can somehow eliminate the parts that
turn me off. But I don't generally change patterns, so that doesn't
happen much.

I don't generally like stitching people, but I am working on LOTF, and
I've got Earthdancer in stash (of course, now that the relationship
has gone sour between myself and the intended recipient, that may
never be stitched). And I think that Angel of the Morning is the only
MLI angel that I like.

I do like stitching animals, some cutesy, some realistic. I'd like to
try something geometric, maybe fractals (I think I remember seeing
something posted here about a designer that did fractals and sound
waves?). I've got Hardanger and silk gauze in stash to try someday.

I don't think I've stitched anything that would be labeled as
"botanical" (flora, fruits, etc.) but I do have some of Silver
Lining's flowers in stash to get to someday, as well as a few
landscapes that caught my eye.

My next big piece (and is probably going to live at the office for a
long time) is going to be Van Gogh's Starry Night. One of the
attorneys (who is now one of my bosses but he wasn't at the time) had
me in the Secret Santa draw last year and a little elf told him that I
was drooling over this pattern, which I was. He just asked me last
week how it was going, couldn't understand why I hadn't started yet.
LOL, some people just don't get it. So I figure I'll probably kit
it up next month and get it started, then take it to the office to be
my lunchtime project. Let's see, an hour a day, 5 days a week,
250x196, no backstitching, no partials? If' I'm doing my math right,
I "should" be able to finish in a year with those parameters.

Surface embroidery absolutely does not grab my attention at all.
Sorry, Dianne. I look and say, wow, that's unusual, or something
like that, but I have no urge at all to try.

MLI's Celic Sampler http://www.tiag.com/designs/BR-14.html (at least
pieces of it, some motifs, maybe not the whole design as charted. I also
think about turning this sideways and doing a long narrow piece to frame
and hang over the wide entryway between the living room and the dining
room))

ooh I like that idea! I'd been eyeing that same pattern and have
managed to hold off by telling myself that it's too big to display
anywhere around here. Maybe I could just use elements of it and do my
own thing?

Jenn L.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jaliace
http://sewu9corn.blogspot.com
Current projects:
Special Delivery (Just Nan)
Mr. Bones (Stitchers World Magazine - Michele Johnson)
Lady of the Flag (Mirabilia)
Old October 29th 03, 04:43 AM
Ruth409028

I've got Earthdancer in stash (of course, now that the relationship
has gone sour between myself and the intended recipient, that may
never be stitched).

Stitch her for yourself. You will be so glad you did. I just recently
finished my 4th one (for me, this time, not daughters). I did her on Belfast
linen, Amsterdam Blue, 32 count over 2 except for face, neck and hands. I did
the dream catcher in Balger's 032 cord for the outside edge and 2 strands of
032 blending filament for the inside. Gorgeous, even if I do say so. But he
that tooteth not his own horn, the same shall not be tooted. Frances
Take Jacques out before replying.
Old October 29th 03, 02:00 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

Joan Erickson wrote:

http://www.calicocrossroads.com/data...tail.CFM?ID=17

This was a *very* lovely design. :-)
congrats to you!!!!

Me! Teacups are another "not my cup of tea" designs. Except for
"Tempest in a teacup"--he's just plain *cute*!
http://www.twdesignworks.com/Free/tempest_l.html

I just admired the colors, detail, and illusion. don't know where I'd
ever use the design, but it's a good one.

And I loved your dragon . . . the colors were great! I wish I was that
talented. Again, I wouldn't stitch it, but I loved it.

I liked all your other links, but I'm not into "band" stuff, although I
thought several were great. Did love the Christmas street scene.

This isn't about *me* (what I like or don't), it's about educating me. :-)
Dianne

Old October 29th 03, 03:34 PM
Susan Hartman/Dirty Linen

Joan Erickson wrote:
Dianne Lewandowski wrote:

Susan Hartman/Dirty Linen wrote:

Emie Bishop's Garden http://www.crossnpatch.com/the_garden_2.html

Oh my gosh: Are those flowers in cross stitch? What a gorgeous design.

See, now this one didn't do anything for me! Maybe it's the fabric
color (I really dislike kakhi-type colors). Had it been done on a light
blue, lavender, pink or even a shade of white it might catch my eye more.

I agree about the background fabric. I think I "see" the design itself
as a separate piece from the fabric (and I almost always change the
fabric on anything I stitch!)

When I look at a design or a pattern in a sewing book or listen to a
Bach fugue, I generally sense the separate components of things right at
the outset and can pull them apart and evaluate/appreciate each one
individually and mentally "change" the ones I don't like, always leaning
toward optimizing the various possibilities. (Except, of course, Bach:
there's no way to improve on his work! I just put him in as an example
of perceiving pieces of things in relationship). I've asked other
people about this, and they don't "naturally" perceive things this way,
though after some thought they might pull pieces apart and switch things
around.

Anybody know more about right brain/left brain type approaches? One of
my friends tells me I'm a person who uses both sides in balance; I don't
know enough about it to know if that's a valid explanation. DH is more
likely to tell me, "You always want to change things...it's good enough
as it is. Leave it alone."

Me! Teacups are another "not my cup of tea" designs. Except for
"Tempest in a teacup"--he's just plain *cute*!
http://www.twdesignworks.com/Free/tempest_l.html

I agree! He's hanging off the knob on my dining room cabinet.

Heirloom Christmas Sampler:
http://www.victoriasampler.com/Catal...mChristmas.asp

This is another one on my "someday I'll definitely do it" stash
list...one I'm happy to take out and drool over now and again.

Sue