handles

Old August 23rd 04, 03:13 AM
Marmaj40

Default handles

I am having the worst time attaching handles. If they don't crack at the
junction, there is a crack at the bend of the handle. What should I do? I
can't believe that the people who make lots of mugs, etc. have this problem.
Help.
Old August 23rd 04, 05:03 AM
annemarie

"Marmaj40" wrote in message
I am having the worst time attaching handles. If they don't crack at the
junction, there is a crack at the bend of the handle. What should I do?

can't believe that the people who make lots of mugs, etc. have this

problem.
Help.

You probably need to slow down the drying process. If you are leaving them
uncovered to dry in the open air this is exactly what happens. Cover the
pots with plastic bags so that they dry slowly and it should fix the
problem.

Old August 23rd 04, 07:55 PM
D Kat

"Marmaj40" wrote in message
I am having the worst time attaching handles. If they don't crack at the
junction, there is a crack at the bend of the handle. What should I do?

can't believe that the people who make lots of mugs, etc. have this

problem.
Help.

We used to 'age' our clay for handle making. Basically wedge it up very
nicely. Wrap it REALLY well and set it aside for a good bit. This is
expecially important I think if you are getting clay mixed up from dry
ingredients or doing so yourself. We would only use this 'stash' for
handles. Also make sure your pieces are well covered after attaching the
handle so that the water content equalizes between the pieces and then
loosely cover it so that they entire piece dries out equally and slowly.
People doing lots of handle work have 'damp' closets - basically any closet
type space where the humidity is going to stay high while the pieces dry
out. You can use an old metal or plastic supply closet, line it with
plastic if it needs it.

Old August 24th 04, 03:36 AM
Marmaj40

Thanks for the tips. I live in Oregon, and in the winter I don't need a "damp"
box----Oregon IS a damp box, but in the summer when it is hot, I just need to
be patient, and wrap. Thanks.
Old August 24th 04, 08:22 AM
Monika Schleidt

Marmaj40 wrote:
Thanks for the tips. I live in Oregon, and in the winter I don't need a "damp"
box----Oregon IS a damp box, but in the summer when it is hot, I just need to
be patient, and wrap. Thanks.

I dry things with handles upside down, if that is possible, so the rim
with the handle does not dry first. Cover with plastic for the first
couple of days. This way the piece dries evenly.

Monika

--
Monika Schleidt

www.schleidt.org/mskeramik
(If you wish to send me a mail, please leave out the number after my name!)
Old August 24th 04, 11:20 PM
Steve Mills

Cling film/wrap is a potters best friend!

Steve
Bath
UK

In article , Marmaj40
writes

Old August 25th 04, 12:07 AM
Marmaj40

Now that is a good idea too. What else do you use the cling wrap for?
Thanks

Old August 25th 04, 09:16 AM
Steve Mills

Slowing down drying on bottle necks while the rest of the body catches
up, ditto teapot spouts. Joint edges on large, to be assembled pieces.
You name it!
Because I have a day job (still clay related) I can't always be there to
keep an eye on the previous evening's throwing, so wrap allows me to
stay in control.

Steve
Bath
UK

In article , Marmaj40
writes

Old August 25th 04, 12:59 PM
Bubbles

wrote in message
.. .

I use the plastic from drycleaned clothes. Also an old plastic drop sheet
for painting cut up into different sized pieces.
Simon

At our local hardware store, I found drop-sheets in really thin plastic on a
roll and perforated every meter. Really great stuff, and because it is so
thin, it doesn't make big crease-marks in the soft clay.

Marianne

turning old silverware into kitchen pull handles terry Jewelry 6 June 5th 04 04:59 PM
pulled handles sandi Pottery 3 April 21st 04 03:13 PM
Question on attaching mug handles Beowulf Pottery 5 January 2nd 04 10:14 AM
Handles Cecilia Wian Pottery 1 August 8th 03 04:45 AM
tips on handles GaSeku Pottery 8 July 17th 03 07:51 AM