Log Cabin Quilt

Old January 4th 10, 01:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

Default Log Cabin Quilt

On Jan 3, 6:52*pm, "Kate T." wrote:
I've never made this quilt and need some help.

I want to make a queen log cabin and don't know what size block to
make. *I got a fella in mind that just built a log cabin and want to
give it to him.

any suggestions on block size and colors.

Any of you gentlemen quilters have any suggestions for me.

Kate T. *South Mississippi

I have happily done a couple of log cabin quilts and all three of them
came out with finished squares of 12'' and lots of 1" or 1-1/2"
strips. That gives you the look of lots of logs in the block whereas
if you use 2" finished strips you get fewer logs in the 12" block and
it tends to be a bit clunkier in appearance, at least to me. Not that
that is a bad thing, if that is what you are trying to do, though. The
quilt I am now almost finished with, is the log fence pattern, from
the Barbara Brackman Civil War quilts album, which I used larger
strips that are laid in strips and alternated at 90 degrees. The nice
thing about log cabin is that there are so many variations in the
layout that you could probably spend a lifetime doing them all. Color
choices, I think, will depend on the intended layout as to which will
want to be featured; color or pattern of placement. Isn't it always
so, in most quilting that comes out looking good? I agree with the
Autumn colors mentioned above, with beige's and creams and off whites
for the lighter colors. Yum, Yum!
John
Old January 4th 10, 03:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Kate, another decision you must make before you begin is the *number* of
blocks you'll need. It is big fun to play with the blocks and arrange them
until you decide which is the most wonderful - but it would be So annoying
to need just one more block or one more row. Polly

Old January 4th 10, 03:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Another idea: while the traditional LC block has the center square the
same dimensions as the width of the logs, you don't have to. Make the
centers bigger if you want. Fussy cut moose heads for the centers if
you want. Or you could use HST squares, which would "sink" the centers
into the overall light-dark division. (Red squares will appear to
float in the middle of each block.)
Roberta in D

Old January 4th 10, 04:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN[_5_]

Kate T. wrote:
snipped
Another question, should I press the seams open or not. Decisions,
Decisions, Decisions.

I would press the seams toward the center.

Julia in MN

--
-----------
http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/default.html

Old January 4th 10, 11:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy E

Howdy!

http://www.vcq.org/specialty%20lesso.../log_cabin.htm

R/S

On 1/3/10 7:52 PM, in article , "Kate in MI"
wrote:

I did 12 inch blocks -- 1 1/2" unfinished strips I believe. Lots and lots
of ways to lay out the blocks for a wide variety of patterns. You can see
the one I did in my webshots albums -- Kathy's Quilts (see link below).

If you do a Google Images search (or search webshots or any other album
website) for log-cabin-quilt ... you'll get lots and lots of pictures to
give you some ideas!

Just be prepared for lots of cutting and lots of sewing. One reminder --
always be sure to square up your blocks before putting them together. With
all those seams -- actually finishing with an actual 12 1/2 inch unfinished
block that is square was rare -- at least in my experience!

--
Kate in MI

Old January 5th 10, 04:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Allison

The final design is important as well - if you want to do a 'barn
raising' layout you need an EVEN number of blocks across and down to
keep the pattern centered. On the other hand you can have a lot of fun
using ODD numbers of blocks to make an asymmetric layout. I did one
like that a number of years ago - I was inspired by an article in QNM.

As for sewing it together - if you are doing a scrappy quilt it's just
as easy to cut a bunch of strips the correct width from the different
fabrics, sew them on, and then trim them off, one side at a time. Just
stop when the block is the size you like. Final size adjustments are
tweaked using the border width.

Log cabins are one of my favorite designs!

Allison

Old January 5th 10, 04:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

With respect Allison, it is the easiest block in the world to get to
come out the wrong size; and not cutting the strips to the right length
just contributes to the ease with which it can be done! In fact, though
I wouldn't suggest it to most people, I make all my log cabin blocks
using paper foundation! It is all too easy to spot a 'trimmed to size'
block, because there are hundreds of strips all the same width.

I love the idea of an asymmetrical design - must think about that!
..
In message , Allison
writes
The final design is important as well - if you want to do a 'barn
raising' layout you need an EVEN number of blocks across and down to
keep the pattern centered. On the other hand you can have a lot of fun
using ODD numbers of blocks to make an asymmetric layout. I did one
like that a number of years ago - I was inspired by an article in QNM.

As for sewing it together - if you are doing a scrappy quilt it's just
as easy to cut a bunch of strips the correct width from the different
fabrics, sew them on, and then trim them off, one side at a time. Just
stop when the block is the size you like. Final size adjustments are
tweaked using the border width.

Log cabins are one of my favorite designs!

Allison

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old January 5th 10, 09:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy E

Howdy!

Me, too, Allison: LC is one of my favorites.
I like to cut strips from a few dozen fabrics, lay them all in baskets
(lights here, darks there), sew & trim, as long as the strip lasts, trimming
again after each round (simple-simple). For scrappy I stick strips in a
bag so I don't know what I'll put out next; lighter here, darker there,
just enough contrast to matter to me. LC=EZ
http://www.vcq.org/specialty%20lesso.../log_cabin.htm
I rearranged the corners on the Star so they were all the same; it hangs
in the dining room.

R/Sandy

Old January 5th 10, 09:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy E

Howdy!

Using the 12.5" ruler, I square-up the block throughout the process,
to make sure it doesn't get off track. By cutting long strips at the
beginning, I have less to cut during the piecing.
You have much more patience and skill than I to use the foundation
piecing method. I've seen your work in Paducah, Pat: excellent! ;-)

Happy New Year!

R/Sandy - my process produces more scraps.. and that's good! g

On 1/5/10 9:25 AM, in article , "Patti"
wrote:

With respect Allison, it is the easiest block in the world to get to
come out the wrong size; and not cutting the strips to the right length
just contributes to the ease with which it can be done! In fact, though
I wouldn't suggest it to most people, I make all my log cabin blocks
using paper foundation! It is all too easy to spot a 'trimmed to size'
block, because there are hundreds of strips all the same width.

I love the idea of an asymmetrical design - must think about that!
.

In message , Allison
writes
The final design is important as well - if you want to do a 'barn
raising' layout you need an EVEN number of blocks across and down to
keep the pattern centered. On the other hand you can have a lot of fun
using ODD numbers of blocks to make an asymmetric layout. I did one
like that a number of years ago - I was inspired by an article in QNM.

As for sewing it together - if you are doing a scrappy quilt it's just
as easy to cut a bunch of strips the correct width from the different
fabrics, sew them on, and then trim them off, one side at a time. Just
stop when the block is the size you like. Final size adjustments are
tweaked using the border width.

Log cabins are one of my favorite designs!

Allison

Velveteen Log Cabin Quilt glinfoot Quilting 2 November 22nd 08 05:20 PM
New Log Cabin Quilt John Quilting 137 February 27th 07 02:45 PM
Quilt pc Log Cabin Embroidery with quilting behind it joan Marketplace 0 May 31st 04 04:55 PM
FS Log Cabin Quilt Blocks Barb Marketplace 0 January 15th 04 08:09 PM
FS Log Cabin Quilt Blocks Barb Marketplace 0 January 15th 04 08:09 PM