Throwing of big pots like planters on the wheel (Cameron Lithgow ?)

Old September 14th 04, 06:00 AM
Gap

Default Throwing of big pots like planters on the wheel (Cameron Lithgow ?)

Dear Artists,
years ago someone who went to a workshop with Cameron Lithgow told me
about a video he (Cameron Lithgow) was selling.
It shows about how to throw big pots on a wheel and I am interested to
learn this.

He is from NSW Australia and I found a town and Pottery with the name
Lithgow.
I also tried to contact them to find out more about this video and how
to get it.
I havn't been successful with it so far and thought maybe someone of
you can help me with some information.
Have you heard or even seen this video and do you know how I can get
it ?
Or maybe any similar advice on "How to throw big pots like planters on
the wheel" ?

Thank you in advance
Gabi in Perth
Old September 14th 04, 07:21 AM
annemarie

"Gap" wrote in message
om...
Dear Artists,
years ago someone who went to a workshop with Cameron Lithgow told me
about a video he (Cameron Lithgow) was selling.
It shows about how to throw big pots on a wheel and I am interested to
learn this.

He is from NSW Australia and I found a town and Pottery with the name
Lithgow.
I also tried to contact them to find out more about this video and how
to get it.
I havn't been successful with it so far and thought maybe someone of
you can help me with some information.
Have you heard or even seen this video and do you know how I can get
it ?
Or maybe any similar advice on "How to throw big pots like planters on
the wheel" ?

Thank you in advance
Gabi in Perth

Hi, I did a search, found this
http://www.makingpotteryvideos.com/a...teryvideos.htm
Perhaps this one would be useful

Old September 15th 04, 01:54 PM
Brad Panek

One of the methods to throw large pots on a wheel is the coil and
throw method. First a base is thrown on the wheel in the normal
manner. Then a single large coil of clay is added to the rim of the
pot. This is attached by smoothing it into the clay on the inside and
outside. Then you proceed to throw this addition. You can then dry
using a fan or heat to stiffen this as you proceed to add as many
coils as you want till you reach the desired size.

When I tried this method the problem I ran into was that you end up
with differing amounts of clay since the added coil is rarely
perfectly symmetric. Then as you throw these differences make the
hieght vary. I guess you could trim these off or force the
irregularities to the inside wall of the pot.

Another way is to throw a number of cylinders of clay, cut them off
and set aside, and then add these on top of a thrown base. Equality
is probably easier to achieve with this method, however I think the
coil and throw method may be more used.