over reduction disaster

Old September 1st 04, 05:27 AM
Laura

YES!!!!!! And I will still have time to get a lovely brass plaque made to
mount on the board.
You are a creative genius.

"Slgraber" wrote in message
: what if you:
:
: assemble a box in the kiln with various kiln shelves stacked up as the
walls,
: fully kiln washed.
:
: stack the overfired pieces into this box in a hap-hazzard maner.
:
: fire the batch as a group ~ they will all stick to each other in a square
large
: clump shaped by the kiln shelf walls.
:
: pull them out, buff away the kiln wash.
:
: mount them on a nice board.
:
: title them:
:
: "disaster relief program"
:
: or
:
: "i wasn't watching"
:
: or
:
: "durable shelf ware"
:
:
: i'd stack the fired batch in the backyard adding to my already growing
yard
: art...
:
: see ya
:
: steve
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
: Subject: over reduction disaster
: From: "Laura"
: Date: 8/30/2004 12:22 PM Pacific Daylight Time
: do with a bunch of pieces that were over reduced?
:
: On the good side, in my last glaze firing, the unglazed portions of
: stoneware were all toasty and gorgeous. The bad thing is, areas in my old
: updraft kiln that got extra heavy reduction, well...the pots and plates
in
: those parts of the kiln came out covered in blisters and pinholes and
almost
: a volcanic rock type texture in some spots. These defects were on glazes
: have been using for years so I am 99% positive it was caused by over
: reducing, starting with a 1 hour body reduction at cone 06, ending at a
: heavy reduction for 30 minutes at cone 9-10. I even got red in copper
glazes
: that are always green, so I know I reduced more than I ever have before
and
: wont be doing that again. Nothing about this firing was different other
than
: reducing more than my usual from 06 up till cone 9. The reduction i did
at
: the end was the same as always.
:
: My question is...
: Can I salvage these pots? I have been grinding down and smoothing the bad
: areas with my Dremmel and am hoping to put some more glaze on top of the
: ground down areas and refiring with my next kiln load tomorrow and
: everything will heal. Will refiring with a bit of glaze on top heal the
bad
: areas? Is reglazing really necessary or will the remaining glaze just
: re-melt and smooth out? Not being a chemist, I assume the defects were
from
: some sort of gas escaping or bubbling and the glaze for some reason did
not
: smooth out, but i really dont know.
:
: I'm keeping my fingers crossed I can save these blasted things.
:
: Thanks in advance for any advise you can give me
:
: Laura
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
: steve graber

Old September 1st 04, 08:30 PM
D Kat

ROFLMAL - I have to say - this really works for me. I don't know how many
potters will be at your show but at least they would enjoy the image
(painfully of course)...

P.S. I would love to hear how the show went...

From: "Laura"
Date: 8/30/2004 12:22 PM Pacific Daylight Time
Hi All,
Can you wise potters out there give me some much needed advise about what