Need ideas, please read

Old June 14th 05, 03:42 PM
Aqua

Default Need ideas, please read

I am a lurker here and I really need some help/advice. My husband was
recently laid off, and we have a newborn baby. I am wanting to sew and sell
*something* to earn some money. I really would appreciate any ideas of what
I can make/embroider that people would want to buy. I am doing alterations
for people, but I do not have time for custom sewing with a new baby and
all. Please, all suggestions and ideas are greatly appreciated.

Aqua

Old June 14th 05, 11:04 PM
She who would like to be obeyed once every Preston

In article , DaveS of uttered
although not sewing related I do very well cleaning houses

It's the right time of year for gardening too.

Are you any good at ironing?
--
AJH
no email address supplied
Old June 15th 05, 12:01 AM
Kitty

I think that any childs outfit would sell well if it is nicely
embellished. If you offered a baby doll outfit to match or
coordinate you would have people drooling over them. the suggested
place to sell would be ebay, or a flea market or gift shop.

for ebay get some avery labels and a cheap print program and print up
care labels and you can sell them as NWT which is how they say new with
tags. This would enhance you asking price no matter where you sell.

Another idea would be beach or tote bags, especially with a matching
accessory like wallet or visor. Or a wet clothes bag lined with
plastic.

Hope this helps, Kitty

Old June 18th 05, 07:32 PM
jes

Aqua:

Where I live we're into recycling and conservation. I buy cloth tote
bags at thrift shops, and take 2 or 3 with me to the grocery store
--instead of landfill destined plastics.

Anyway, my point is, they'd make a good at home sewing project. If you
contact an upholsterer or drapery maker perhaps they'll give you
leftover yardage.

Could you; make up a bunch and set up a card table outside the grocery
store and hit up the shoppers on the way in -- if the mgr. of the store
would permit it, of course.

I also use one bag as a designated library book bag. (From Harrod's
but who's namedropping? ;-) I keep my library card in the pocket. At
home ALL library books go in and out of the bag--none left laying
around except the one I'm reading.

What I'm working on right now -- it's probably not a money-maker, but
??? The SPCA likes to give its transient animals their own "blankie"
pads -- which they can take with them to a new adoptive home. The
animals are comforted by their own scent. I got donated fabric -- took
apart an old comforter for padding, and roughly sew them up -- quite
crudely, in fact, but the animals probably won't care... The main
point is there's no overhead in materials.

Joan

Old June 18th 05, 08:44 PM

by cheap,plain denim shirts-small/medium large;or white tee shirts for
$1-$2.

make simple stencils of butterflies/flowers/stars/bgs/etc.

use permanent markers-all colors to "paint" in the stencils. stay w/in
the lines!
sell for $15-$20 each.

keep it simple.

take muslim or fleece cut out 2 squares 18" wide by 20" long.
sew each side and bottom.
turn under top of tote and attach rope handles all down font-under
bottom and up back.

sell for $9-$19 each depending on decorative
embellishments;buttons,flowers,etc

make up a batch of REALLY yummy cookies.

big cookies.

sell @ 75=A2 each

start NOW!!!!!

Click here to feed an animal for free;

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s.woa/218/wo/=
1N60004K500MQ500E3/2.35.0.1.0.0.0.CustomContentActiveImageDisplayComp onent=
0.0.0

Old June 19th 05, 11:15 PM
Dawn

Aqua wrote:
I am a lurker here and I really need some help/advice. My husband was
recently laid off, and we have a newborn baby. I am wanting to sew and sell
*something* to earn some money.

Been there...

How about Halloween costumes for infants and toddlers? You have enough
time over the summer to collect some patterns on sale, find some
bargains on good fabrics, and sew up several costumes as samples. Then
you can either sell the ones you've made, or make them to size after
people have seen the sample.

I know it's not instant money, but Halloween is one of the best times
for sewers to cash in.

Dawn