My Fair Lady Costumes

Old June 15th 05, 06:16 AM
romanyroamer

Default My Fair Lady Costumes

Hi People,
I have been asked to make the 2 costumes from My Fair Lady. My Video player
is not working and in our small town, I can't get it on DVD (if it is
available in that format!)
The costumes are for the songs "wouldn't it be lovely" and the day dress
from "I could have danced all night" I have found plenty of pictures on the
internet for My Fair Lady but none that have told me which individual song
they are for....These are to be worn on the 28th of this month and I am
running out of time !! Can anyone please help as I really don't know what
I'm meant to be making?...Thank you....Amelia
Cross posted

Old June 15th 05, 06:43 AM
Irrational Number

romanyroamer wrote:

Hi People,
I have been asked to make the 2 costumes from My Fair Lady. My Video player
is not working and in our small town, I can't get it on DVD (if it is
available in that format!)
The costumes are for the songs "wouldn't it be lovely"

This would be something like:

http://www.podiumarchief.be/Erfgoedm...al/BAL_004.jpg
http://www.msmt.org/pictures/myfairlady1.jpg

Something like Cinderella wore before
the ball, something grayish...

from "I could have danced all night"

This could be the something like the second
link above, or, in our production, she sang
"Danced" in a nightgown.

Hope that helps a little bit.

-- Anita --

Old June 15th 05, 01:15 PM
Cypsew

Did you look for the video, not DVD? I bought it some years ago at one of
the mall video stores, I think it was, and gave it to a DGD, who loves
musicals. She has a collection of the older musicals and still watches them
often.
Emily

Old June 15th 05, 01:20 PM
Cypsew

I apologize for the previous post I sent. I thought you were looking for
the DVD, I mis-read your post. Sorry!.
Emily

Old June 15th 05, 02:47 PM
Sally Holmes

IMS wrote:
On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 05:43:24 GMT, Irrational Number
wrote:

romanyroamer wrote:

Hi People,
I have been asked to make the 2 costumes from My Fair Lady. My
Video player is not working and in our small town, I can't get it
on DVD (if it is available in that format!)
The costumes are for the songs "wouldn't it be lovely"

She sang "Wouldn't it be Loverly" in her worn, flower-peddler outfit.
It was dirty, and ragged and she had an old coat over it. Here's a
picture. THis site also has more pics from the movie.

http://www.audrey1.com/gallery/photo.php?id=208

Nice site! What a beauty she was.

"Wouldn't it be loverly" is a street scene of the type where cheeky Cockney
urchins spontaneously burst into song and dance. Everyone miraculousy sings
in key and dances in step and passers-by do not turn to stare as they tap
down the street. Eliza's a she-may-be-poor-but-she's-honest(-ish) working
class girl with patched clothes, a smut on the end of her nose and all the
other cliches you can dredge up.

This one, http://www.audrey1.com/gallery/photo.php?id=3289 is when she's
singing "I could have danced all night" and the housekeeper is trying to get
her to go to bed. You can see an earlier shot here
http://www.audrey1.com/gallery/photo.php?id=362 but you can't see the
costume very well. A Gibson Girl blouse and a skirt that's straight in front
and fuller in back with a slight train would be appropriate, I think, and
easier to make and more adaptable than a dress. She changes into a nightgown
like this one http://www.audrey1.com/gallery/photo.php?id=1367 and
http://www.audrey1.com/gallery/photo.php?id=3175 later in the song.

I always felt sorry for the servants: Eliza may have been capable of dancing
all night, but they couldn't go to bed until she did. She sings "Bed! Bed! I
couldn't go to bed!" and they're thinking, "Well, I've got to get up and
light the fires in five hours".

Amelia, mail to you bounces.

Sally

Old June 16th 05, 12:36 AM
romanyroamer

Thanks Sally,
I don't know why mail is bouncing!!....Amelia
"Sally Holmes" wrote in message
. uk...

Old June 16th 05, 12:51 AM
romanyroamer

Thank you one and all for your help. I am using the movie costumes as my
client is performing in a show that is based on "movie magic".
It is for the senior citizens and the cast is trying to be as accurate as
possible to the movies they are preforming from. When I have my say, I would
prefer to have original costumes also!
.....Thank-you..........Amelia