Planns for a Lapidary Saw

Old July 20th 04, 07:00 AM
Jerry Smith

Default Planns for a Lapidary Saw

Does anyone have a source for plans for a Ladidary Saw? I own a
machine shop, could probably build one in an afternoon. I have seen
pictures in books and could probably draw one out, but I thought I
would ask if anyone has plans for one.

Thanks,

Jerry
Old July 20th 04, 04:11 PM
C. Gates

If you have a machine shop, then it's probably better to go with the
materials and parts you already have on hand. (Bet you don't do it in an
afternoon, though :-) You did not say what blade size. The 20-inch slab
saw I built took a lot more than one afternoon, but it has been a
reliable workhorse. Also did you want power feed? If all you want is a
trim saw with a six inch blade or thereabouts, then maybe a tile saw
from Home Depot would do the trick. The power-feed mechanism needs solid
tracks (sliders) etc. and that can take more than an afternoon in itself.

The key parts include the metal box to support the rest of the parts and
to hold the coolant. Unless you already have one, then you'll have to
weld that up with a removable table. You need an arbor with good sealed
bearings. You can probably recycle a 1750 rpm motor, 1/4 to 1/3 hp
depending on blade size -- or more for a big slab saw.

Basically, "lapidary saw" does not describe the project well enough to
give you much info. There are all kinds of lapidary saws and all sorts
of expectations for reliability and amount of use.

Old August 12th 04, 05:36 AM
will e

Jerry, Sorry for the late reply I am having problems with my email again. If
you can get a copy of John Sinkankas "Gem Cutting" Published by Van
Nostrand, there are a few basic plans and items to consider when building a
home made lapidary saw. Will E.