Sources for twine

Old June 7th 04, 08:20 AM
Jon

Default Sources for twine

Howdy. I've recently discovered the joys of knot tying. I especially like
the Turk's head knots. I followed a link from a previous post to this
group, and found a picture of a great Turk's head coffee cup sleeve -- I'm
going to have to try that one.

Where is a good place to find decent cordage? I would rather buy from a
store than from the internet.

Also, where do y'all buy natural fiber whipping twine, for natural fiber
rope?

Thanks in advance!

Jon

Old June 7th 04, 03:20 PM
Martin Combs

The search for string can be frustrating. Chances are you won't find
what you actually need at home depot or your local hardware store,
most commercial standards are medium or soft lay which you will find
once you start tightening the knots up with a spike your project will
sometimes not have the results you set out to have. The best thing is
to find a good brand sampson used to be good for me but they sold out
their twine operation and the new company is not putting out the
desired quality. For a good natural fiber whipping twine #45 hemp
cord or smaller is a good choice I think (make sure you ask for cord
and not twine there is a difference) I'm currently trying to work with
a manufacturer to get some good hard lay cotton twine and should have
some of that if they can produce the desired quality. Des Pawson over
in england has some good cords also. But always check out the cord
section in you local stores sometimes you will be suprised at what you
find, if you do find a cord that meets your specs always buy more than
you think you will need because chances are that the store won't have
it the next time you go back for some reason it always works out like
that for me.

Marty
www.knotstuff.com

Old June 20th 04, 02:45 AM
Knot Head

I'm glad you like my coffee cup sleeves Jon. FNT-Industries has great
hobby cord and different twine, even braided.

Old July 2nd 04, 02:20 AM
Jim Long

Howdy back!

If you take your Turk's Head & lay it out flat it makes a dandy coaster for
your coffee cup too! Basically you look at the tube of the knot, pick one side
to be the inside, one to be outside, then pull the outside out & work it
flat... It'll make more sense when you try. In that form, some call it a
"Thump Mat", and use it to protect fiberglass or paint if there's a floppy item
like a turnbuckle or sheave or a padlock lolling about somewhere.

Personally, I find a lot of interesting project stuff at Home Depot and Lowes.
The ones around here have some nice half-inch & less nylon, polyester,
polypropylene and manila. They have twist and plait in most sizes, and (my
favorite) brickmason's cord (get this) *braided*!! That's some sweet dayglow
yellow marline, if you ask me! I hitch it around Bic lighters, straight and/or
spiral and/or mixed, and it makes 'em darned hard to steal or lose (especially
if you work a bight in somewhere to hang it by) Okay, it comes in pink too,
and sometimes they have other colors... And yeah, there's always plain old
white...

But I digress. Not knowing what part of the planet you hail from, it's hard to
make any suggestions. If you have an Army-Navy Surplus Store nearby, they
usually have (or can get) lots of different cordage. Parachute cord is nifty
for what I call "pocket projects" like turk's head coozies & such. They
sometimes have camo-colored PP (ski rope), usually a single braid or some plait
or another.

There's a hemp store here in the third hole in the Bible Belt!!! (Believe it
or don't!) They have balls of hemp marline in a variety of sizes, as well as
finished goods - the usual "jewelry" of course, but shirts, pants, huaraches,
etc. as well, all made of hemp! I doubt anyone else could be so lucky, but
it's becoming more and more likely, as a glimmer of enlightenment begins to
creep in through the prohibitionists darkness...

But I digress...

Seriously, if you want project materials, the best universal suggestion is the
old-fashioned hardware store. What they don't have, they'll gladly order.
Lacking that, there's even a Wal-Mart on Mars, so if all else fails, there's
always Wally-World.

Good luck, and feel free to come back & discuss it. You're among friends here.

Jimgo

Stick pearls sources? Dr. Sooz Beads 17 October 10th 04 06:49 PM
American Antique Watches (also Jewellery Watches): Information Sources Indicator [email protected] Jewelry 0 October 7th 04 02:20 PM
Bird bead sources Karleen/Vibrant Jewels Beads 3 June 5th 04 03:12 PM
Magnifying glass sources? Al Glass 1 November 28th 03 06:20 PM