ON TOPIC - Donna is coming to my house

Old July 17th 09, 12:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

Default ON TOPIC - Donna is coming to my house

On 7/16/09 7:45 PM, in article ,
" wrote:

On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 16:10:55 -0400, Cheryl Isaak
wrote:

Actually, we're headed to "urgent/after hours care", appears the PI is
spreading...

Have a care, my eldest was extremely susceptible to PI. She couldn't
afford to stroke the dog if he had been through the area which had
plants in it. Ultimately she was so ill with it that during the next
winter she had to have a series of shots to immunise her to it.

She still gets a bad reaction to it, but not a dangerous one. The
last time before the shots her throat swelled and she could barely
breathe and was hospitalised. For some individuals PI is a very
serious matter.

I used to buy Aveeno Oatmeal Bath and she would bathe in it. Didn't
cure it but it did at least soothe her skin.

He's on his meds now and if my experience is any indication, he'll be
feeling better by tomorrow AM.

CHeryl

Old July 17th 09, 12:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

wrote:

Actually, we're headed to "urgent/after hours care", appears the PI is
spreading...

Have a care, my eldest was extremely susceptible to PI. She couldn't
afford to stroke the dog if he had been through the area which had
plants in it. Ultimately she was so ill with it that during the next
winter she had to have a series of shots to immunise her to it.

She still gets a bad reaction to it, but not a dangerous one. The
last time before the shots her throat swelled and she could barely
breathe and was hospitalised. For some individuals PI is a very
serious matter.

I used to buy Aveeno Oatmeal Bath and she would bathe in it. Didn't
cure it but it did at least soothe her skin.

I'm allergic to everything and anything and often have a problem with itchy
skin and/or rashes. I found something called Aveeno Anti-itch Concentrated
Lotion, a pretty pink, non-smelly or gooky lotion, that's very helpful. I
find it just about as good as the cortisone creams and much more pleasant to
use.

Love that stuff.

Cheryl

Old July 17th 09, 01:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lucille

wrote in message
On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 20:26:10 -0400, "Lucille"
wrote:

I used to buy Aveeno Oatmeal Bath and she would bathe in it. Didn't
cure it but it did at least soothe her skin.

I'm allergic to everything and anything and often have a problem with
itchy
skin and/or rashes. I found something called Aveeno Anti-itch
Concentrated
Lotion, a pretty pink, non-smelly or gooky lotion, that's very helpful.
find it just about as good as the cortisone creams and much more pleasant
use.

Sounds like a follow on to Calomine Lotion - believe that was
considered undesirable at some point, forget why.

Not like it. This one doesn't dry or leave a residue at all. It soaks
in like a regular moisturizer. It does have a very subtle, underlying
smell of oatmeal when you first put it on but that fades very quickly and so
far no one has sniffed me, except the dog, when I walked into a room.

It's good stuff.

Old July 17th 09, 03:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 7/16/09 7:27 PM, "Trish Brown" wrote:

Lucille wrote:

My DDH had a very severe contact rash of undetermined origin at one
time and was on daily cortisone shots for almost a week. I do hope
that doesn't happen because I can't remember anyone being more miserable.

Lucille

My DS is allergic to Wandering Jew and we found that out by clearing a
huge patch of it from (then) DBFs back garden. DS was very helpful by
scooping up great armfuls of the stuff, which he held against his chest
and transported to the WizzBin. Poor DS came out in a horribly blistery
rash all over his front and went through agonies of itching till we
could get antihistamine for him from the after hours chemist. Since
then, his sensitivity has gotten worse and he's only got to touch a bit
of the stuff for his lips and eyes to swell up. Yick! It's not nice!

I think I've told this story before, but once upon a time, the Ugly
Sister and her friend snuck off to ride their horses (bareback) through
the bush. This was instead of doing homework, you understand. Poetic
justice came into play because they found a mound of fat pink 'pillows'
dumped in a pile with some other refuse. They thought these would make
fine saddle substitutes to relieve the discomfort of bareback riding.
Both girls rode home on their 'lovely pink pillows' and by the time they
got there, their respective bottoms were on fire. The 'pillows' had been
fibreglass insulating batts.

I got the dubious pleasure of plucking what fibreglass filaments I could
from Ugly's butt with a tweezer. My heart sang a little song of
rejoicing as I did so: great was Ugly's discomfort and puce was the
awful rash that covered her behind! ;-

Wow - are you mean! Nice of you to remove the fiberglass. You can imagine
- the poison ivy in similar location - it was horrible in oh so many ways.

For today's highlight - one of the young women who works at the Caribou
(weekends only, as she's now teaching pre-school) came in - with pink eye.
Yuck - she came in to cry for sympathy and help, while waiting for her Rxs
to be filled. But, of course you cannot work in food service with Pink Eye -
and it's a minimum 48 hours from starting her drugs - according to her
doctor. So, she's trying to switch her shift as she's supposed to work
Sunday morning. Nice - I'm staying far away.

Ellice

Old July 17th 09, 03:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

wrote:

Actually, we're headed to "urgent/after hours care", appears the PI is
spreading...

Have a care, my eldest was extremely susceptible to PI. She couldn't
afford to stroke the dog if he had been through the area which had
plants in it. Ultimately she was so ill with it that during the next
winter she had to have a series of shots to immunise her to it.

She still gets a bad reaction to it, but not a dangerous one. The
last time before the shots her throat swelled and she could barely
breathe and was hospitalised. For some individuals PI is a very
serious matter.

Very true - and one of the reasons, along with bees, wasps, that I keep
EpiPens with me.

I used to buy Aveeno Oatmeal Bath and she would bathe in it. Didn't
cure it but it did at least soothe her skin.

It is really nice to use. Lately for any of these contact derm things, I've
been using Ahava Dead Sea Salts. Every so often our Costco has a huge tub
of them for about 1/3 te price. They're very soothing, as well.

ellice

Old July 17th 09, 03:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

wrote:

I used to buy Aveeno Oatmeal Bath and she would bathe in it. Didn't
cure it but it did at least soothe her skin.

I'm allergic to everything and anything and often have a problem with itchy
skin and/or rashes. I found something called Aveeno Anti-itch Concentrated
Lotion, a pretty pink, non-smelly or gooky lotion, that's very helpful. I
find it just about as good as the cortisone creams and much more pleasant to
use.

Sounds like a follow on to Calomine Lotion - believe that was
considered undesirable at some point, forget why.

Calamine was upgraded, so to speak, to Caladryl - which has the
anti-histamine stuff in it. I believe it's still out there. But, it's just
primarily palliative, as opposed to hydrocortisone which is both palliative
and curative. There is also Benadryl lotion/gel - which my primary care doc
hates so I don't use it. I have a bunch of Rx strength steroid topical
stuff on hand for anything serious, and we keep the hydrocortisone, & Tecnu
on hand for the normal. Heck, I even have Rx Silvadene - which is a burn
treatment ointment great for serious "road rash" - significant scrapes, etc.
At the same time, I also prefer to use some homeopathic ointments.

ellice

Old July 17th 09, 05:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 7/17/09 11:55 AM, " wrote:

On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 14:47:28 GMT, ellice wrote:

Calamine was upgraded, so to speak, to Caladryl - which has the
anti-histamine stuff in it. I believe it's still out there. But, it's just
primarily palliative, as opposed to hydrocortisone which is both palliative
and curative. There is also Benadryl lotion/gel - which my primary care doc
hates so I don't use it. I have a bunch of Rx strength steroid topical
stuff on hand for anything serious, and we keep the hydrocortisone, & Tecnu
on hand for the normal. Heck, I even have Rx Silvadene - which is a burn
treatment ointment great for serious "road rash" - significant scrapes, etc.
At the same time, I also prefer to use some homeopathic ointments.

ellice

Listen - I am sorry I spoke at all, what do I know as a non medical
person like you ? I merely wanted to warn to warn Cheryl from first
hand experience her DS could be in more trouble than she realized.

Why apologize - I was just merely adding on some info to your comment which
seemed rather open-ended? I imagine other people might have the same query
as you about why it seemed to fall out of favor - which of course you
snipped out:

On 7/17/09 5:49 AM, " wrote:
Sounds like a follow on to Calomine Lotion - believe that was
considered undesirable at some point, forget why.

Which just seemed to be about Calamine lotion, nothing more or less.

Do you just want to be snippy?

Ellice

Old July 17th 09, 05:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 7/17/09 5:49 AM, " wrote:
Sounds like a follow on to Calomine Lotion - believe that was
considered undesirable at some point, forget why.

Which just seemed to be about Calamine lotion, nothing more or less.

Do you just want to be snippy?

Ellice

Do you always like to add to peoples posts to demonstrate that your
knowledge on every subject is superior to theirs ?

Just weary of your all encompassing knowledge on every subject I
think. I don't make a comment and expect to have an education on the
subject. Yes, I knew about Caladryl, yes I know about hydrocortisone
and some of the others and as you can see, there is no query after my
original comment. It was a statement, not a query.

So, don't read my remarks. Personally, I read other people's information as
it often adds to what I do or don't know. It's a discussion - that's what
people do. Not a criticism.

But, of course when someone else posts expanding on a subject then it's not
a problem.

Yes I know you never use an editing finger and post at great length,
whereas I tend to do the opposite - thinking of people on dialup
mostly - and there still are some.

I do believe you're mistaken, as I frequently snip posts back - not always,
but reaching your stage of perfection is difficult. I do at least try to
snip such that the context remains. Of course - I suppose in your so
superior mind and manners, I must be the only person on RCTN that has
editing issues. Or perhaps you don't read the others - or feel compelled to
criticize them.

Now what else ?? Some grammatical errors in my post ? Something not
medical enough for a lay person ? There must be something wrong with
it that you can correct. Be my guest.

Um, perhaps you'd like to point out my correcting? Might be difficult, as I
don't have that habit. Sure, I'm guilty of adding on information, or having
a discussion with some details. As do many others here. Again, if you
don't like it - don't read it. Clearly you intend to snipe at me, or try to
belittle me as the mood strikes and has been demonstrated over time. So,
evidently it's some insult to you if others add on to your comments - or are
you just developing some insult paranoia to complement your royal GOWness?

ellice

Old July 17th 09, 10:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Liz[_2_]

On Jul 16, 2:06*pm, ellice wrote:
On 7/16/09 4:10 PM, *"Cheryl Isaak" wrote:

On 7/16/09 11:12 AM, in article , "ellice"
wrote:

On 7/16/09 8:10 AM, *"Cheryl Isaak" wrote:

She's here dropping DD back at school and visiting her sister who lives in
NH.

So, I'm off to the grocery store for Benadryl for the DS with poison ivy,
some good munchies and something that catches my eye for dinner....

Cheryl

TECNU clear gel ointment - it's a combo benadryl/hydrocortisone, IIRC.
Anyhow, it works great on poison ivy - DH is always getting into it. I,
personally, extremely allergic to it, so use prescription stuff, but the
Tecnu works in between.

ellice

Actually, we're headed to "urgent/after hours care", appears the PI is
spreading...

Yikes - not fun. *The first time I got it - spread all over - ended up with
about a week on steroids, fever including swollen eyes (totally ucky) for
about 5 days, and then it took nearly 2 weeks for things to clear. *My boss
at summer camp - very unhappy - as I was stuck walking around with a cup of
hydrocortisone from the doc all the time. *I picked it up from one of the
horses - the sap can sit on their hair, and, well, I'd done a little casual
ride around the ring - bareback, in shorts. *Very short. *Evidently it got
on my thighs, legs, across my chest (I had been wearing a tank top and
leaned across him during grooming). *You can imagine. *Despite the cool
shower and being careful - it was not a good experience, to say the least..
So, I'm very careful since then.

Hope DS does okay.

Ellice

I used to get a systemic reaction like that until I had 5 poison oak
shots the summer between 8th grade and high school. I didn't get it
at all for about 30 years and now, when I get it, I get it like a
normal person - it is a little patch from where I directly came into
contact with it. I carried an epi pen around with me last year,
though, since I had experienced a couple of apparently unrelated
allergic reactions. I figured it out a few weeks ago. One was a
reaction after DH brought me a bowl of mixed tropical fruit. I had
eaten the same fruit before with no problem. No big deal, I took some
generic benedryl tablets that I had and the reaction went away.
About three months later, I was at the top of a mountain on a hike
when I felt the itchy palms, itchy scalp and then the swelling.
Someone had some benedryl (fortunately) and I was fine. All I had
eaten,though, was a banana and a tuna sandwich, neither of which had
ever bothered me before. A few weeks ago, I was out mowing the
"pasture", came in for lunch and had the same reaction after peanut
butter and jam. Then I had the "Ah Hah" moment! I read the fine
print on the back of the bottle of sun screen I had used. I don't
normally use it but it was handy that day. Did all of you realize
that Hawaiian Tropic sun screen had MANGO in it????? Mango in the
can of tropical fruit and mango in the sun screen. Apparently, I'm
allergic to mango. Not a big problem since it's far from a favorite
fruit, I just have to be aware when I'm at a pot luck that there is no
mango hidden in anything. Even if there is, liquid benedryl (or
generic) seems to work well. Who'd a thunk there would be mango in
sun screen??? :-)))))
Liz from Humbug